Finally an easy solution to bryopsis!

I was able to eradicate my bryopsis with the Tech M method.

Pro's:
-SPS Loves the increased Mag levels.
-Bryopsis disappeared

Con's
-Most paly's and zoanthids lost ALOT of color. Nothing died, but RPE, PPE'S and all my deepwaters nearly bleached.
-Acan disaster. Bleached 4 ultra acan colonies. Micromussa also bleached.
-ONLY A TEMPORARY FIX

The Biggest problem, besides the LE corals that bleached, was that the fix was only temporary. As soon as the Mag levels came down, the bryopsis started re-appearing. Now what.

Vitodog- I didn't shorten my light cycle and it still worked. I don't believe the bryopsis needs much light regardless.

Manding.. Perhaps you should continue dosing for a week or two after the bryopsis dies off. I had read this prior to when I used it. I continued to dose for a week or so and it all went away. Mine has been gone for several months now.

It really doesn't look like Bryopsis to me. Each strand of bryopsis looks like a feather towards the tip. It branches out a tiny bit. Your algae looks like straight individual strands that don't branch out. Like you mentioned in your other thread, it looks more like macro algae. But it looks like the stringy kind that has the little green balls on the strands which yours does not seem to have. Sorry i cannot recall the name of the macro I am referring too. I had some and it easily got into the DT and it grew like mad so I got rid of it and switched to cheato with much better results.

Definatly makes sense, I have 2 huge balls of cheato in the sump. This stuff just appeared once my tank leveled out. I've been pruning / cleaning my rocks non stop. I'm testing par this week again, everything looks happy. All my sps aside from 1, but I would THINK things are still good. Doing a water change tomorrow(my 2x's a month one is thurs) hopefully the stuff starts to clear up

Doesn't look like cheato though. It looks like another type of macro that people often use with the little green balls on it. But yours doesn't have that either so I still think you have a mystery algae yet to be identified.

I would try running a small reactor with carbon, cutting your light cycle a bit and try and remove as much as you can by hand. Looks pretty easy to tug out. If it creates any type of cloud, I would make sure you siphon water out at the same time in case it is spore based. Doesn't look that way IMO though.

What do you have as a clean up crew? any hermits, mexican turbos etc?

Thanks RVANANO, I thought I read somewhere that this stuff will grow in a darkroom. Just wanted to make sure. Also, I'll do as you suggest and continue to maintain the high levels of Mg for at least a few weeks after (hopefully) this stuff is all gone. Thanks again.

im dosing tech m right now fighting bryopsis and my skimmer is going nuts has anyone experienced this?do you let your skimmer run while dosing or do you leave it off?

Ive been talking about my problem with Bryopsis here http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1948991

Basically, I bought LR from someone and it had Bryopsis on it and is getting crazy high. I do not have any corals in the tank. I have a few crabs and Starfish that were hitchhikers on the LR.

People gave different thoughts and they were:

-Raise MAG
-BlackOut
-Boil LR

After looking at THIS thread, it seems like the MAG was the only thing that seems to work.

Any thoughts to help?

Last night I took out the infested pieces and threw then away. I didn't turn the lights o. Today and out a blanket over the cube so no sunlight gets in. Next week I will turn on the lights to see how things look. If it's still bad I'm gonna start adding the high levels of mag.

Day 4 of treating and pruning and the bryopsis is melting away. It is interesting that the area where I dumped in the tech m was killed much faster than any of the other patches.

So if I understand correctly, the seachem reef magnesium i just got today is notngoing to do anything to kill my bryopsis?

Nope, it needs to be TechM.

However, if you just need to raise your mag levels, just because they are low, it will work for than.:)

So if I understand correctly, the seachem reef magnesium i just got today is notngoing to do anything to kill my bryopsis?

No, not likely to. I say not likely to, because there have been a rare few who have been successful in getting rid of bryopsis by using magnesium chloride and epsom salts or other magnesium supplements to raise the level to 1800-2000ppm.

I have found that you get the best results by making sure that as you begin to raise the magnesium level, you also pluck as much of the bryopsis as you can. This adds additional stress to the bryopsis by robbing it of most of its leaves/frons where most of the plant's photosynthesising is done. This additional stress, when combined with the elevated magnesium levels, helps eradicate the bryopsis faster and more thoroughly.

Well people.

Here in Brazil a quemistry friend of ours and reefkeeper too have developed a product that REALLY kills briopsys, valonia and green hair algae on about 48-72 HOURS.

I had fighted briopsys for about 6 months and with only two applications of this product (named MTM) ALL, and I mean, ALL algae goes away and NEVER come back.

No animals was losted, I have a 250GAL SPS system and none of my corals died.

more info.

Before

IMG_2514.JPG

48 hours later

DSCN1411.JPG

IF any information is needed, pleae add me on MSN: roberto_mrtruck@hotmail.com.

I hope we can help

Thanks a lot

Roberto - I too would like to know more about this new product (called "MTM"), what it is, how it works, how it is used and where to get it.

I'm sure there would be many others who'd be interested in this too.

I sent back the seachem stuff and ordered the Kent and the salifert test kit. I will post pics as others have done with parameters once I get started. Thanks for the help and saving me some frustration.

I sent back the seachem stuff and ordered the Kent and the salifert test kit. I will post pics as others have done with parameters once I get started. Thanks for the help and saving me some frustration.

Back