Finally an easy solution to bryopsis!

I have been dosing Magnesium with the Bulk Reef Supply solution for about 1 year and keeping it at 1400. I just got a gallon of tech-m. Can I just add the tech-m in addition to the regular dosing I have been doing?

Thanks

I have been dosing Magnesium with the Bulk Reef Supply solution for about 1 year and keeping it at 1400. I just got a gallon of tech-m. Can I just add the tech-m in addition to the regular dosing I have been doing?

Thanks

I think you just want to use tech m solely to raise and maintain the Mag level till the bryopsis dies back then you can go back to the BRS mag. Thats what I plan to do anyway. Dosing tech M, day three and hoping for the best.

I used BRS MgCl and MgS04 and raised my Mg to 2100, did nothing to my Bryopsis, then switched to Tech M but allowed the Mg level first to drop back to 1600, then raised it to 2600 using Tech M, bryopsis died back, lost my serpent stars but nothing else in my mixed reef, now I maintain Mg at 1400 with Brightwell Magnesion powder, purchased in bulk 5 gallon bucket, same guy that formulated Tech M.

However, you must first lower nutrients for the approach to work.

Nice

Nice

I'm happy to say after 2 1/2 weeks of using Tech M, Byopsis seems to be visibly gone.
How long should I keep MG levels elevated?
I have not done any water changes since initial dosing.

I'm happy to say after 2 1/2 weeks of using Tech M, Byopsis seems to be visibly gone.
How long should I keep MG levels elevated?
I have not done any water changes since initial dosing.

I kept my elevated levels of Mg for 2 weeks. Let the Mg levels slowly return to normal on its own. If you have not seen a return of the bryopsis after 2 weeks, do a large water change. My tank has been free of bryopsis now for 6 months.

someone who has been following this tread...can you tell me if just keeping my mag. levels at 1600 using BRS mag. recipe will kill this algae? I have had mine at over 1500 for a couple days and mine is still growing!

At this point I've declared victory on bryopsis. Brightwell Magnesion-P worked for me. I mixed it into an aqueous solution and always made sure I shook the decanter before dosing, since I noticed a dark precipitate in the bottom of the container.

someone who has been following this tread...can you tell me if just keeping my mag. levels at 1600 using BRS mag. recipe will kill this algae? I have had mine at over 1500 for a couple days and mine is still growing!

It's only the Kent Tech M (and seems Brightwell's product), other solutions to supplement Mg don't seem to work.

fyi, I went from wanting to puke every time I looked at the tank the outbreak was so bad, to nearly all gone after a couple of weeks with the Kent stuff.

I have been bryopsis free for about 6-8 months now. Tech M rocks. I know it works and bryopsis is the second worst algae I have encountered next to pink cotton candy (which can be beat with mexican turbo snails) so IMO it's worth spending the extra money on the solution.

IMO it doesn't matter what the Magnesium concentration is. It's something IN the mag supplement that kills the bryopsis. Just dose conservatively, don't OD your tank on Mag (hard to do, from what I understand), and monitor the bryopsis health.

When my bryopsis started to clump together and grow red slime, I backed off on the mag dosing. TBH I didn't ever check mag, just added it in a regimen with my normal 2 part doses.

Well I think my bryopsis has become immune to Tech-M. I had a breakout a few months back and thought I had erradicated the algae. Well a little over a month ago it came back and fast. So about 2 weeks ago I started dosing Tech-M again in my 125. I have gone through a full gallon of Tech-M dosing 100ppm a day and no sign of it dying. Lame

Here is a pic of it nice and happy after eating Tech-M for 2 weeks :mad2:

DSC01472.jpg

Back