Finally Getting My Tank!

I used Instant Ocean and Reef Crystals but recently changed to Oceanic. I get the buckets, 160g or 200g, depending on the brand. You can also get the boxes or multi-pack bags. All depends on what is on sale.

To monitor the tank you should get a basic test kit and something to measure salinity. A swing arm hydrometer will work but you will eventually want to get a refractometer. A basic test get should do pH, Alk, Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite. If you plan to monitor ammonia daily during the cycle, you may just want to get in inexpensive kit for that.

You won't really need any of that until you start to fill the tank. IMO the only thing you will need to keep the LR rock going is something to check salinity when you mix saltwater or do any top off.

If you are planning to come over to Elmira area this weekend I can give you at least 10g of used saltwater when I do a water change. I have a couple of buckets.

Dave

if its used saltwater you want then you can have as much as you want i just dont have any buckets all mine are on loan to the guy that bought my 125

I'll take you up on that offer guys. I plan on going to pimpinitup's place to look at his tanks. So I will defiantly be coming.. Thanks..

I'll try and buy some buckets tomorrow night. Just the plastic tubs like 30 gallons correct?

i would get brute trash cans to actually store the rock in until the tank is setup! then when thats done you can use them for r/o and fresh saltwater..... if you want some of our water 5 gallon buckets would be best!

I have at least 2 buckets with tight lids that are good for transporting water. Anything bigger and it get heavy and stuff sloshes around a lot. As others indicated Brute trash cans would work. I used good old standard rubbermaid bins but I never had 100lbs of rock to store. PM me with details of when you are coming I make sure I am around. Maybe I will PM a few other locals and we can have an impromptu mini meeting :beer: I have a basement sump, so if you are going that route you can see how I have mine set up.

Dave

I have buckets and stuff too...

I currently use IO salt and usually buy the 5 gal bucket. If you don't get all of the rock as live rock, I have a bunch of rubble in my sump, you could have some of it to help seed the tank. I think it is a good idea to get samples from different tanks (some sand and rock) to help you get stuff going.

As far as storing the rock, you would be surprised how much you can get into rubbermaid tubs...100lbs is not as much as you might think. I bet you can cram it all into 2 medium sized tubs.

Anything you need let me know.

I'll try and buy some buckets tomorrow night.

Save the money for something else. I'm sure you can borrow some buckets for now. You will acculuate them over time. You may even be able to get a few from whoever you are getting the tank from. If he is getting rid of a 180g he MUST have some buckets lying around. As I said I have 2.

Dave

Well I just got home after buying like 5 tubs of buckets of various sizes :rolleye1: . Of course I read the above after I was home. But thanks for the offer guys... I appreciate it.

Wasn't today the big day?

Who cares about the buckets, Did you get the tank?

Dave

OOPS! My bad, it is only Thursday. I hate it when my kids on a break from school. I never know what day it is.

We leave tomorrow morning bright and early! Oh yeah it will be a great trip down 3 1/2 hours one way, Nice weather and all. Can't wait.

Well been a long long day... But I am now the proud owner of a 180 gallon reef ready tank setup! 3 1/2 hour trip. 2 hour break down and load, 4 hour trip home. Now comes the fun.... :D

Now you can relax a little :beer:

Congrats, I hope all went well. Are you still planning to make the trip over to see Matt and me this weekend. It will be nice to meet you.

Best of luck,
Dave

Thats the plan just waiting to hear from Matt what time and such. But I'm open for anytime.. Looking forward to seeing some tanks and putting faces to the friendly people that have helped me so much.
Everything went ok other then the traffic. :rolleyes:

Back