First Purchases.. I'm a serious noob..

Yes craigslist is your friend i found some great koralia powerheads for 20a piece every store i been into they are 50 or more. Also like smellsliketuna said macrorocks is a great site i ordered rock from them the other day and got it what seemed like virtually over night.Saltwater is a great hobby but is not the cheapest to start but from what I gather once you have all the things needed it's not all that much just my two cents

well here are some good rimless that are already drilled they offer multiple sizes, I know because I have looked into rimless tanks as well.

Current USA's line of Solana offers several sizes up to 67 gallon and some even have the sump, stand included.

Next there is the Finnex line that offers some smaller sizes.

Cadlights which is what I am going to get is very versatile and has many different sizes at an affordable price.

Elos are nice tanks and an option but they are really expensive.

Glasscages makes custom rimless tanks but If you do that I would go with Reef Savvy custom tanks.

*some notes are to check the glass thickness on rimless some powerheads (like vortech) have a max thickness to operate on.

the filtration ballpark would be in the $200-400 range easy esp if you add ATO, reactors and all the stuff. and don't forget a reliable return pump (my favorites are Sicce USA and Eheim)

also yes research until you are sick this will help you get the most value out of your equipment. two import things are an RO/DI and a Refractometer. The refractometer are quite affordable at about $40+ and a basic RO/DI would run in the $100+ range.

also I wouldn't go with sugar fine sand I would go with aragonite in the 2mm size range, my favorite is Tropical Eden Reef Flakes.

:)

my 50g rimless system I have estimated to cost in the $2500 range +
(mostly because of LED lights are over $1000 but worth it)

I'm now thinking a 29 gallon rimless would be my ideal size. Living in an apartment, and not being filthy rich. I'm sure I won't save too much money by keeping it relatively small. But I'll feel a little more confident in it from several aspects.

I've seen a lot of people happy with their bio cubes. This would be a really easy solution to my tank search, but I really have my heart set on an open top rimless tank. Do any of the above have 29 Gallon sizes? Elos is too expensive, and glass cages told me they wouldn't deliver into manhattan(i live in nyc.)

Would it still be advised that I get a skimmer at 29 gallons? I'm thinking yes if I want to be as thorough as possible.

Also, are there any obvious fish I couldn't keep as a result of an open top? Any known jumpers that would be a really good 29g fit..

And just on a side question. Is it possible to keep 2 dwarf angels in a 29 gallon tank? I would obviously limit the # of other inhabitants. Just wondering. The Coral Beauty and Red Stripe angel fish have really caught my eye.(might as well find out the truth early about what I can't have..)

Thanks everyone!

I'm now thinking a 29 gallon rimless would be my ideal size. Living in an apartment, and not being filthy rich. I'm sure I won't save too much money by keeping it relatively small. But I'll feel a little more confident in it from several aspects.

I've seen a lot of people happy with their bio cubes. This would be a really easy solution to my tank search, but I really have my heart set on an open top rimless tank. Do any of the above have 29 Gallon sizes? Elos is too expensive, and glass cages told me they wouldn't deliver into manhattan(i live in nyc.)

Would it still be advised that I get a skimmer at 29 gallons? I'm thinking yes if I want to be as thorough as possible.

Also, are there any obvious fish I couldn't keep as a result of an open top? Any known jumpers that would be a really good 29g fit..

And just on a side question. Is it possible to keep 2 dwarf angels in a 29 gallon tank? I would obviously limit the # of other inhabitants. Just wondering. The Coral Beauty and Red Stripe angel fish have really caught my eye.(might as well find out the truth early about what I can't have..)

Thanks everyone!

So I've been looking at the 34 G Solana. It appears to be completely sold out everywhere.. That looks pretty much exactly like what I want. Not surprised it's gone.

Thanks everyone!

You should take a look at liveaquaria.com.. It pretty much says how big of a tank you need for each type of fish. Both angels are semi-aggressive and probably won't work together.. if you will have any hope of keeping both you will need to add them at the same time.

Even in the red stripes blurb it says "It prefers not to be housed with other Dwarf Angels." So I would advise against it.

You should take a look at liveaquaria.com.. It pretty much says how big of a tank you need for each type of fish. Both angels are semi-aggressive and probably won't work together.. if you will have any hope of keeping both you will need to add them at the same time.

Even in the red stripes blurb it says "It prefers not to be housed with other Dwarf Angels." So I would advise against it.

I figured so much would be the case. I will 100% be very informed about fish purchases. No impulse livestock purchases on this project!

get the cadlights!

And wouldn't worry about it being in an apartment, my illuminata is sitting in the living room of my apartment right now

get the cadlights!

And wouldn't worry about it being in an apartment, my illuminata is sitting in the living room of my apartment right now

Cadlights apparently has an aquarium and system with stand, that would all but eliminate any of the difficult DIY aspects of it. I'm sure some of the more advanced hobbyists, those trickier touches are the fun parts but.. The cadlights looks great.

http://www.cadlights.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=41&products_id=153

The cadlights system for the 39 G comes with the filter, skimmer and other particulars etc.. Do you think this stuff is adequate that it comes with? Also, they offer the option of buying your lighting with the system. Is buying the lighting via cadlights with my system advisable? I'm wondering if lighting should be bought separately... I want this sooo bad.

Soon I'll be just as cool as the people on Tanked! JK

Cadlights apparently has an aquarium and system with stand, that would all but eliminate any of the difficult DIY aspects of it. I'm sure some of the more advanced hobbyists, those trickier touches are the fun parts but.. The cadlights looks great.

http://www.cadlights.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=41&products_id=153

The cadlights system for the 39 G comes with the filter, skimmer and other particulars etc.. Do you think this stuff is adequate that it comes with? Also, they offer the option of buying your lighting with the system. Is buying the lighting via cadlights with my system advisable? I'm wondering if lighting should be bought separately... I want this sooo bad.

Soon I'll be just as cool as the people on Tanked! JK

If this was me making the decision from your perspective, I would probably go with the plug-n-play package and just get the lights and all the other goodies. I would imagine any problems you might encounter down the road would be much easier to fix dealing with a single company rather than 10 companies. But, you should probably research this more and get some feedback from people that have this system or a cadlights system similar to it before dropping nearly a grand on this stuff.

And, that "Tanked" comment better have been a joke :fun2:

If this was me making the decision from your perspective, I would probably go with the plug-n-play package and just get the lights and all the other goodies. I would imagine any problems you might encounter down the road would be much easier to fix dealing with a single company rather than 10 companies. But, you should probably research this more and get some feedback from people that have this system or a cadlights system similar to it before dropping nearly a grand on this stuff.

And, that "Tanked" comment better have been a joke :fun2:

A joke? I plan on installing this beautiful rimless fixture directly behind my toilet bowl. What a glorious thing it would be turning/flushing and seeing a gorgeous mini coral reef!

So just to be clear, you think(and I should of course research heavily before any major purchases.) But at a glance, you don't see anything particularly wrong with using cadlights lighting system right? I just wanted to make sure it wasn't some common knowledge that you don't buy lighting from a tank distributor or something.

Also, just wondering and I know I'll need to take this sort of specific quesiton to another section when I want thorough answers but.. What is the general price of fertilizers or food for the coral? What do they need besides an overpriced lighting system?

I'm beginning to feel pretty confident about everything I need to purchase. Although I'm sure if I had everything in front of me ready to hook up, I will have many head scratcher moments!

So just to be clear, you think(and I should of course research heavily before any major purchases.) But at a glance, you don't see anything particularly wrong with using cadlights lighting system right? I just wanted to make sure it wasn't some common knowledge that you don't buy lighting from a tank distributor or something.

As far as I have heard cadlights systems, including their lights, are great products.

Also, just wondering and I know I'll need to take this sort of specific quesiton to another section when I want thorough answers but.. What is the general price of fertilizers or food for the coral? What do they need besides an overpriced lighting system?

Can't REALLY comment on this as I would consider myself a newbie still, in fact I am only on day 7 of my cycle. However, I have been researching every aspect of this hobby and the equipment since last March. Be patient with everything about your system, including yourself :). I know that most corals will need some type of dosing (especially calcium) because they will deplete the elements that are present in your salt mix. These reactors can be pretty expensive.

I will have many head scratcher moments!

They never seem to end... which is partly why this hobby is so interesting

As far as I have heard cadlights systems, including their lights, are great products.

Can't REALLY comment on this as I would consider myself a newbie still, in fact I am only on day 7 of my cycle. However, I have been researching every aspect of this hobby and the equipment since last March. Be patient with everything about your system, including yourself :). I know that most corals will need some type of dosing (especially calcium) because they will deplete the elements that are present in your salt mix. These reactors can be pretty expensive.

They never seem to end... which is partly why this hobby is so interesting

Agreed, I'm sure if I go with the mostly all inclusive system from a quality brand, the more annoying head scratcher moments will be greatly reduced.

I understand you're still in the learning stages yourself, but.. For the more basic or beginner corals. What sort of additional things does one need to keep them healthy. I know that's an incredibly general question but.. For instance. In planted tanks, as a foundation for most plants including many basic ones. You need C02, a nutrient rich substrate and the more advanced you go you may need certain fertilizers.

How would this translate itself over to coral, and I'm sure it's not an exact translation. But generally speaking what else do I need to start up besides the system, lighting, filtration, correct water parameters, live rocks(some not live,) etc etc..

well here was my complete equipment list to give you an idea (including misc)

broken into sections

Primary Equipment:

Display: 50g Long Cadlights Artisan 36 x 18 x 18 w/stock stand it comes with
Sump: Eshopps Refugium Series R-100 (rated at 20g capacity)
Skimmer: Reef Octopus NWB-110
Return Pump: Sicce 2.0
Lighting: x2 Aqua Illumination SOL
Cadlights Lamp Tree (to hang lights from)
AI Controller
AI 36 inch rail kit
AI hanging kit
Controller: Reef Angel
Powerhead for tank flow: Ecotech Marine Vortech MP 10 ES
JBJ Nano LED Glo Refugium Lamp/Light

Filtration:
(besides skimmer and sump)

Miracle Mud for Fuge
Dry rock rubble for Fuge
Ulva sea lettuce is my algae of choice for fuge
30-40 pounds dry rock (BRS, Marcorocks and Premium Aquatics mix)
1-2 pounds live rock (LFS)
15-30 lbs or Tropical Eden Reef Flakes
BRS Dual Carbon/GFO Reactors
Maxijet 1200 for reactors

Maintenance:

Salt mix (instant ocean)
Salifert Test Kits (Ammonia, pH, Nitrite, Nitrate, Alkalinity, Calcium, Magnesium)
Premium Aquatics Refractometer (comes with fluid to calibrate)
BRS Economy RO/DI
5 gallon buckets
20-50ft of one inch tubing for water changes
maxijet 1200 for water changes
arm length gloves for tank work
mag float medium
kent marine scraper

Livestock related:

Coral Dipping solution by Seachem
Specimen container large size
nets of various sizes fine mesh
fish foods
kent marine sea squirt and DFS basters

Misc:
PVC Plumbing (PVC primer, glue, pipe cutters, elbows, check valve, ball valves etc)

I think that is it :D
also although I provided brands it is for a general view too

Last edited:
+1 .... I saw somebody's signature one time that said something about it costing $5 per gallon and I thought to myself, "no way". Well, about $5 per gallon later I learn that that statement is pretty accurate.
$5g seems extremely low to to me. I've always figured around $20-30 a gallon. At $5 a gallon a 49g tank would be $245. Easy to go over that on just a light let alone skimmer, sump, RO/DI if first tank, heater, ATO, Rock, pumps...Etc.

For food I'd suggest the following...

Cyclo-peeze Flake
Frozen Mysis
Rod's Fish Only
NLS Spectrum Pellets... 2mm
BRS Reef Chili

I'd also throw in these additives...

Kent Garlic Extreme
Selcon

I'd try to figure out what you can not obtain locally and order the rest with your dry goods purchases.

I didn't do this and it caused me to place a couple extra orders :sad2:

Cant wait to see the pics of the new CAD Lights 50G Long Artisan tank. its got good length width and height proportions. it should be awesome, keep us posted!

Salifert Test Kits (Ammonia, pH, Nitrite, Nitrate, Alkalinity, Calcium, Magnesium)

nets of various sizes fine mesh

For the test kits I'd get an API Saltwater Master Test Kit and the Salifert Kits you mentioned with exception to the Salifert Ammonia and Nitrite Kits.

Once cycled you won't need them too much. The only instance you will need them is if you have a large die off or if you are overfeeding to a huge extent. The biological filtration will break down nitrite and ammonia pretty quickly. The API is good enough to let you know something funky is going on. At that point it's up to you to figure out what and take the appropriate actions.

I'd use the cheapo API for all tests until you get to the point of adding corals. After that point then it will be advantageous to use the salifert kits. It's kind of a waste of money imo to be using the more expensive and accurate tests at times that you don't need accuracy.

As for the nets I'd use them only when you really really have to.

Netting fish adds stress to the fish. It's better for the fish if you use a clear plastic container to capture them, that way they always stay submerged in the water and are less apt to panic.

Recently I got frustrated with chasing a fish around the tank with a bowl and decided to use a net. Big mistake. My Anthias had it's mouth all tangled up in the net. After 30mins of me being very careful I managed to free him with no visible damage. Lesson learned.

ok, i scanned most of the post here and drilling that particular tank that you posted the link for will only work on the back or side of the tank as it is tempered on the bottom. your LFS should be able to drill it for you and install the bulkhead fairly cheap. (mine charges $35) then all you will have to do is install your pump and plumbing. i would do this if you can as more water volume will help your system stay more stable if something goes wrong.

i missed some pages in your thread but just a little insight, my tank so far has taken over $1000 where 300 is lights and ro/di system 200 with live rock, 100 for the tank, split the rest for everything else. adds up very fast. im still not done buying stuff either. need another pump ect.

Last edited:
There are many Budget Reefers, but to really be one you have to be eduacated on the subject, and keep things on the smaller end of the scale(100g or smaller). My advise to you is don't rush !! This is the singlemost problem with newbies. Do lots of research before starting. If you don't do this you'll end up spending twice as much...cause believe me once you start you're hooked. It's really more of an obssesion than a hobby for most !!. That's why regardless of wether we really need it,we always find excuses for that next purchase.

In my opinion a good tank should be at least 55-60 gallons. This doesn't mean you can't go smaller, but this will give you more options for stocking. A sump is a must. It will keep your filtration equipment out of view. Live rock is important, but many keep it simple (minimalist) and sweet.Skimmer a must.Carbon reactor a must. good flow and if you want Corals a good light is also a must. Read,read, and read some more. This is not a cheap obssesion. Even with small set ups, you'll end up dumping a couple of grand into it. It's a great hobby though and you don't have to buy everything at once.Again go slow.. good luck !~

Last edited:
Back