Fish collection for aquarium trade in Hawaii - pending legislation to ban

BrianD

Sir Brian The Lenient
Staff member
RC Mod
http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/114992054.html

WAILUKU >> State senators have introduced legislation that would impose a statewide ban on collecting reef fish for sale in the aquarium trade to protect the health of Hawaii's coral reefs.

The bill would prohibit the sale of aquatic life taken from state waters for aquarium purposes. Violators would face fines or possible jail time. The legislation would allow exceptions for animals collected for subsistence, traditional or cultural use, human consumption, scientific research or public display.

Lawmakers noted that there have been numerous unsuccessful attempts over the years to ban or limit aquarium fishing in Hawaii but said they are optimistic this could be the year for such a proposal to succeed.

"I think there's just a greater awareness," said Sen. Roz Baker (D, Honokohau-Makena) told The Maui News. "I think people are taking a fresh look at some of the things we need to do to preserve the reef. People come here to enjoy the marine life, and we need to have healthy and robust numbers of fish in the ocean."

The bill hasn't been scheduled for a hearing yet, which is an essential step if it is to become law.

Baker and two other lawmakers from Maui County -- where the County Council recently passed new aquarium fish trade regulations -- introduced the legislation: Senate President Shan Tsutsui (D, Wailuku-Kahului) and Sen. Kalani English (D, East Maui-Lanai-Molokai).

Robert Wintner, owner of Snorkel Bob's stores in Hawaii and author of "Some Fishes I Have Known," said he supports the bill.

"Hawaii reefs and Hawaii fish populations are in decline," he said. "We've known this for years."

Wintner said he and other advocates had pushed for legislation for years with little result. But he shared Baker's belief that the proposal might have a better chance in the current Legislature.

"We've gotten huge resonance from the Maui bills passing," he said.

Baker said she was particularly concerned about the removal of plant-eating fish, which help protect reefs from invasive algae, and about the collection of species that are too fragile to survive the transition from their natural environment to a tank.

"It's really a waste," Baker said. "We need to have a serious look at this industry."

English said the proposals could gain more traction this year with new members in the Legislature, and Democratic Gov. Neil Abercrombie in the executive office.

"There's fresh ideas, a fresh outlook, and I also think people are more aware of the fact that there is depletion going on," he said.

In the House, state Rep. Gil Keith-Agaran (D, Kahului-Paia) and Rep. Chris Lee (D, Lanikai-Waimanalo) introduced a bill that would require the state to develop a list of aquatic species that may be collected or sold. Keith-Agaran said the measure would ensure that any fish collection was sustainable.

"We have to put the brakes on this and allow the fish to regenerate," Keith-Agaran said.

I was always under the impression that many marine fish we keep, because of the way they breed, quickly repopulate any area from which they have been removed. The key is a healthy reef. Even with a complete lack of collection, a dead or dying reef won't have any fish on it. I know this is a pretty general statement, but is this not the case? Correct me if I'm totally mistaken here :eek:

Ever seen snorkle tourists on a reef? It's like a class of 5th graders in an antique shop :)

so the hammer is going to struck...
few month ago matt ped wrote a article on RB about the reefing ban in india...in the comments he pointed about such legislation as this is coming..didn't expected to hear it so soon though...
i wonder what will happen to RCT or those collectors like rufus kimura...

there was an article in Coral magazine (i think, iirc) a little while back that they believe the collection of yellow tangs is leading to an explosion of algae on the reef due to less algae eaters populating the reef...

Once again common sense has gone out the window. Maybe Hawaii needs to let Texas Parks and wildlife run there business. Look at the numbers of redfish caught at the Texas coast and yet there are plenty. If you need to regulate then do it and it is very simple. No adults are taken until numbers come back to a sustainable number, nobody buys large yellow tangs anyway and if you want one, grow one. In twenty years I have never seen an adult yellow tang in any of my fish stores? So where are they going?

there was an article in Coral magazine (i think, iirc) a little while back that they believe the collection of yellow tangs is leading to an explosion of algae on the reef due to less algae eaters populating the reef...

Everyone knows that is due to too high of a phosphate level. They need to change their GFO or add a fuge.:hammer:

I just posted this in another thread on the same subject.

As much as I enjoy this hobby and certainly am a hypocrite for posting this, I am not against an outright ban from harvesting any marine life from the ocean for the aquarium trade. Yes, there are many other causes to the destruction of the reef, but one cannot deny that the aquarium trade has a meaningful negative impact. Moreover, I do think that more advancements would be made in captive breeding if such a ban was in effect. It may not now be ecconomically viable to breed many fish captively, but if a ban was put in place the ecconomics of doing so would likely change, thereby leading to advancements. I can hardly think of a good reason to harvest corals from the ocean other than in very limited quantities just so that one can get exemplar species to breed artificially in tanks. Now, we just need to become more adapt at captively breeding fish which I think a ban would encourage. At the start, I would imagine that the cost of captive bred fish would be cost prohibitive to many. However, as the science and efficiencies improve, the cost would likely fall to even below the levels of the cost of ocean captured fish because one could avoid all the costs of transporting fish to the consumer, as well as likely greatly reduce the motality rate of fish made available for the aquarium trade. Moreover, the science learned through more attention paid to captive breeding would be extemely valuable in terms of re-populating certain species which have grown too scarce in the ocean. Likewise, captive breeding, just as with, for example, dogs, can result in greatly improving the health of a given species by selectively breeding desireable genetics.

...........can you think of a better target for any environmental-type problem, (real, imagined, or faked), than the stereotypical marine hobbyist? A rich, lazy,fat, anti-earth, mainland American

I'm neither rich nor fat nor lazy! Okay, maybe I'm lazy........

but they can claim all they want about depletion but unless I see hard numbers I won't believe it.

im sure allot of yellow tangs are removed . i own a shop in Australia and when our suppliers get them in they get them by the thousands or hundereds .. but thats cause the collectors over there dont like sending small orders which is a shame .. id also like to say that we need to look at other causes too .. like pollution , waste and overfishing of other species too.. but hey lets start blaming someone hey .. i agree they should have limits . and possibly retail shops/online or not should also start being responsable for who they sell what to .. i for one will not sell someone a fish or coral if i know they cannot keep it.. but then again im a hobbiest and not just out to make a quick buck at the expense of the living creature that im selling . just my point on this topic. it will be sad to see yellow tangs and achillies become almost impossible to get ...????

I find it really hard to believe that removing the hundreds of thousands to millions of fish every year from Hawaii's reefs is sustainable. I just don't see how these fish can replenish their stocks with numbers like this.

I would understand limiting but baning is a little harsh. Yellow tangs are pretty understandable though. Ever been to a Petco and seen how many awful looking tangs they have in stock at all times. There should be some regulations but it kinda sucks that it has to effect everyone.

I find it really hard to believe that removing the hundreds of thousands to millions of fish every year from Hawaii's reefs is sustainable. I just don't see how these fish can replenish their stocks with numbers like this.

I think a key to an issue like this is that it's not about what people believe.

Back