Fish jumping out

dweebiii

I've witnessed a number of fish literally jumping out of my tank. It seemed to be a game for one of my fairy wrasses... until he did it when I wasn't home.

I have a 4'x2'x2' tank, with the egg crating on the top. But clearly, that crating isn't tight enough.

Debating on glass, or moving to a finer mesh top, like this one:
http://www.marinedepot.com/Innovati...iums-Innovative_Marine-0I05376-FIAQAA-vi.html

One problem: you have to remove the whole frame to feed the tank, instead of just pulling out a section (my current egg crate plastic top is in two pieces).

Other solutions?

I am currently using RBS mesh I have 4 sections (96" long tank) You can make your in to however many sections you like at long at the screens have something to rest on. However I will be changing my to egg crates just because I can trim around my 2 sea swirl a lot better

I bought a lid from Artfully Acrylics that has a feed door. Ya, they're a little pricy, but it fits like a glove.

Don't use glass tops or acrylic to cover a tank. They block some light par from reaching the tank, also acrylic will sag and discolor over time.

Egg crate diffuses too much light as well and can allow small fish to escape through it.

Aside of using a canopy, DIY screen tops are the most cost effective way to keep fish from jumping. The parts and screen can be bought at the big box hardware stores and made within a couple of hours. Can also be made as two screens, one larger to cover most of the tank and a smaller one as a means to feed your fish. I've made many screen tops in my day and highly recommend using one.

I have used glass tops on almost every tank I have ever had, which not only keeps fish in, but greatly reduces evaporation. I just keep them clean with a dusting wand, and have a notched corner for feeding ease.

Don't use glass tops or acrylic to cover a tank. They block some light par from reaching the tank, also acrylic will sag and discolor over time.

Egg crate diffuses too much light as well and can allow small fish to escape through it.

Aside of using a canopy, DIY screen tops are the most cost effective way to keep fish from jumping. The parts and screen can be bought at the big box hardware stores and made within a couple of hours. Can also be made as two screens, one larger to cover most of the tank and a smaller one as a means to feed your fish. I've made many screen tops in my day and highly recommend using one.

I've always heard acrylic doesn't yellow, just polycarbonate and other clear plastics. I personally have clear acrylic walls in a turtle setup right around their UV and heat lamps with no discoloration at all after years of use. If it's sagging, it must have been too thin. That said, I agree it shouldn't be used in this application. Another point I'd make is it would seal off the air from the water and you'd likely need an air pump or something.

It is really not an issue. Proper lighting will still get the job done.

Another point I'd make is it would seal off the air from the water and you'd likely need an air pump or something.

Not at all. Glass tops doe not totally seal off the tank. There is always a 1-2" opening in the back. That is where you can feed. Plus, if you have a sump, all of the air exchange happens there. Especially with skimmers...

Egg crate is actually called light diffuser. If you're growing corals it's not a good way to go.

Use the brs netting. It works well. My top is 3 sections for an 8 foot tank. You can get creative with it and also with the way you feed.

Here's some pics of my solution. It's three separate sections. It's the brs 1/8" mesh, with a screen kit from home Depot. Then fashioned tabs for the corners to hold the screens in place, which sit inside, rather than on top of the tank. Very snug snug and jump proof!

Attachments

• IMG_20160728_130514367.jpg
    IMG_20160728_130514367.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20160728_130522165.jpg
    IMG_20160728_130522165.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20160728_130505596.jpg
    IMG_20160728_130505596.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 0
  • rps20160728_134444.jpg
    rps20160728_134444.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 0
You can see below how I did mine using window screen frames and 1/4" mesh from BRS. The rear sections stay in place and have slits to allow power cords to get through while still fitting securely. The front sections are easily removable for access to the tank

hth

I stopped by Lowes and bought plastic gutter guard. It's only 6 inches wide, but quite stout, so I think it will hold up longer.

Back