Fish Poo - What should it look like?

techigirl78

I know white stringy poop is bad, well, any stringy poop is bad, but what about clumps? I've always had smaller fish, never really noticed their poo. In my 90 I have three fish. All colorful, eating well, and reactive. Yet, in the corner where the flow wasn't to good (going to fix it), I've noticed their poop. Looks like little people poop. But it looks like krill, and DTs, and cyclopeeze. Thus sometimes, whitesh/clear (looks like I can see krill in it), sometimes green, and sometimes red. Always in little clumps. Is this normal?

Sorry I couldn't say this more elegantly, but, I'm talking about poop afterall. Any insight would be appreciated. I already ordered some garlic just in case, but wanted to know if anyone else had some thoughts.

I'm unsure how you think that garlic will 'fix' the excrement. It doesn't do that, as far as I've heard. But nonetheless, to answer your concern:

Are you sure you are not 'seeing' the shells or exoskeleton of the krill, plankton, or pods you are feeding?

Are you sure it isn't just clumped detritus or decaying food not eaten?

If it is truly undigested or partially digested food, then there can be a couple of possibilities: Overfeeding, not feeding the right food(s), an intestinal disorder, or improper digestion (not enough of the right kinds of intestinal bacteria).

If there was any intestinal parasites, the garlic would help with that.

When looking into it some more, I guess this would be normal for goldfish, so I decided that I won't consider it a problem unless my fish start acting goofy. Right now, they all eat and are active with no color discoloration.

Thanks!

Back