Votes: 32 2.5%
  • past owner: 10 - 14 years

Votes: 11 0.9%
  • past owner: 15 - 19 years

Votes: 5 0.4%
  • past owner: 20 years or more

Votes: 21 1.7%

• Total voters
Very nice website Seafan, acutally much better than I expected.....it's nice to be pleasantly surprised.
Keep up the very good work.

Re: survey

Re: survey

SELECTION
Did you mail order this fish and would you recommend mail order this fish? Are there captive-raised/bred specimen available and where?

I ordered the fish (both a Volitan and Radiata) from the LFS. I have never seen any captive/bred specimens offered, and I'm not even sure if they can breed in captivity.

Any tips on how you picked a healthy specimen of this species from LFS? What do you think is the ideal size to get?

My experience with lionfish has been to chose a lionfish that is medium-sized. I normally try to avoid small Volitans because I've traditionally had a harder time trying to get them to feed than larger ones. I wouldn't get a Volitan over 5 inches, though, due to their nature of growing very fast.

Are there any noticeable differences in body shape, pattern or color among the same species or between juvenile and adult of this species?

Yes, the juvenile Volatin's fins are thinner and are not as thickly defined as the adults. Also, as the lionfish age, some lose their horns at the front of their head (all of mine have). The juveniles, in my opinion, are more attractive (but you kinda get attached).

Is there a way to tell the sex of this fish?

Never tried. Can't tell ya.

ACCLIMATION AND INTRODUCTION
Any special tips about the acclimation and introduction of this fish?

Volitans, in my opinion, are one of the easiest fish to accimilate to the tank environment. I would recommend introducing the volatin with any other lionfish at the same time. Volatins will shy for a few hours, but after that they'll be a show fish.

Any special needs for this fish or special considerations for young specimen?

None that I can see. Bright light should be avoided for the first few days.

Should this fish be the first or the last to introduce to a tank?

Volatins, if that's all you're adding, can be added whenever.

COMPATIBILITY
What tankmates do you have with this fish?Is it a reef or FO tank?

I have a FO tank with the Volitan and a large-sized Radiata lionfish.

Have you had more than one of this species in the same tank? If so, is there a certain male/female ratio or group number worked for you (to have a harem or pecking order)? Do they school?

Yes, for about 2 months and I noticed nothing special.

Have you had other species of the same genus/family in the same tank?

N/A

What’s the stocking order (considering the above factors) that worked for you?

N/A

Did this fish hurt/eat any of other fish (or vice versa)?

Yes, they've eated a few damsels (the ones I used to cycle the tank with).

Did this fish hurt/eat Cnidaria (corals, mushrooms or anemones)?

N/A

Did this fish hurt/eat ornamental crustaceans (shrimps, hermits, crabs)?

No, the Volitan hasn't bothered the few hermit crabs I've had in the tank.

FEEDING
How did you get this fish to eat at first?

The first feeding consisted of live ghost shrimp that were eaten rather quickly.

If this fish only accepted live food, how did you wean it over to prepared food?

The Volitan, at least in my experience, was extremely quick on learning to eat prepared food such as frozen silversides and shrimp. To wean them over, I would use a feeding stick (basically a long clear plastic skewer). I merely would place the silversides on the end of the stick and wave the food in front of them as if the silverside was resurected. The Volitans would eventually catch on to this before the 4th or so try and from then on would eat the prepared food. Now, all I have to do is merely drop the shrimp in the tank and they'll eat it without the feeding stick.

What's the diet?

Prepared shrimp from the grocery store, silversides (frozen in the package), ghost shrimp, and sometimes a freshwater (NOT GOLDFISH) treat from the pet-store.

How much and how often do you feed?

I feed mine maybe two times a week. I feed them generously and you can watch their stomachs go down. Some people feed theirs every other day, but the more you feed them, the faster they'll grow.

How does this fish eat?(grazers, active or sedentary predators, sand sifters, etc)

Regular sedentary predator procedure.

GROWTH RATE AND LIFE SPAN
What is the initial size of your fish and maximum size it reached? How fast did it grow (how much growth over a given period of time)?

I bought the Volitan I currently own at about 4 inches... it's about 5 inches. (about 8-9 months to get there).

What size tank did this fish live in? (or how soon did this fish outgrow what size tank)? What do you think is the minimum tank size required for an adult specimen of this fish?

The fish resides in a 25 gallon tank (FO). The minimum tank size is 20-25 gallons due to the high protein diet required. Bigger>better, but I'm in a college dorm that is limited.

If this fish went through body pattern change from juvenile to adult, was the change complete? How long did it take?

Not sure on the time it takes, because I bought mine into adulthood.

How long have you kept this fish? If you no longer have this fish, what was the cause?

I've kept this one for about 8-9 months. I've had another one that lived for about 1.5 years until I had to give him to a friend because I couldn't get a larger tank (college situation).

What is the longest lifespan and the maximum size of this fish in home aquarium and/or in the wild reported?

Dunno. Google for it.

DISEASE AND TREATMENT
What disease has this fish had? How did you treat it, for how long? What's the effect of the treatment?

The fish came with a parasite that affected all of the fish in the tank. I performed a copper treatment (remember this is a FO tank), and I performed some freshwater dips on all the specimens in the tank. It worked fine, and the parasite was killed.

BEHAVIOR
Does this fish change body color under any circumstances?

Not that I've noticed.

How active is this fish? Is this fish shy?

The Volitan is pretty active and is always greeting people that come into the room.

How territorial or aggressive is this fish? How does this fish interact with tankmates?

Since it is with another lionfish, they act as if the other does not exist. It's a pretty laid back species.

Did this fish ever jump out of the tank?

Thank god, no.

How does this fish sleep?

In the rock/fake coral formations of the tank... just lounges around either upside down or whatnot.

Does this fish allow cleaners to clean? If so which cleaner and how often?

N/A

How does this fish interact with human?

Mine is very social and will come to the edge of the tank when you're looking at it. He only reacts to certain people, myself and one of my roommates... most likely because I'm the one that feeds him...

He also can feel the vibration of music in the water and will swim vertically up and down during Aerosmith songs... (Coincidence? :) )

Any other interesting observation of this fish?

Above.

REPRODUCTION
If you have a mated pair, how did you get them to pair up?
Any information of spawning in captivity?

N/A

SUMMARY
Your overall assessment of this species -
How sensitive is this fish to poor water quality on a scale of 1-5?
1 - very tolerant, may survive a cycle in a new tank
2 - quite tolerant, may survive accidental ammonia or nitrite spike
3 - not terribly sensitive to reasonable pH, salinity or temperature changes
4 - sensitive to any significant water chemistry changes, and may show stress during such changes
5 - very sensitive to water quality, may easily get stressed and get sick with any change in water chemistry

The Volitan, in my experience is very hardy and said to survive the cycle (wouldn't try it). However, I'd have to give it a 2.

Would you recommend this fish to beginners?

No, only because of the venemous spines on these guys. Otherwise they'd be great beginner fish.

Any other recommendations/comments?

Don't get stuck with one of these guys... the pain is tremendous and might require medical assistance... If you get stung... put your hand under scalding hot water.

If you have any picture(s) of this fish you took, please post it here and share with us! [/B][/QUOTE]

Woops.. I forgot the picture.

DSCF0022.jpg

My Black Volitan Lion Experience (AKA My life with Mufassa)

My Black Volitan Lion Experience (AKA My life with Mufassa)

SELECTION
Did you mail order this fish and would you recommend mail order this fish?

No, There is an excellent LFS in Wichita, KS where I lived at the time that I got him from. (Don't know for sure it was a him)

Are there captive-raised/bred specimen available and where?

Don't Know.

Any tips on how you picked a healthy specimen of this species from LFS?

I trusted the LFS, they had an excellent setup and let you check it out and had a 400+ Gallon display tank full of various angels.

What do you think is the ideal size to get?

I thought it was nice to get a small one and watch him grow

Are there any noticeable differences in body shape, pattern or color among the same species or between juvenile and adult of this species?

Not that I could tell

Is there a way to tell the sex of this fish?

No Clue

ACCLIMATION AND INTRODUCTION
Any special tips about the acclimation and introduction of this fish?

This is a toughie. The guy big or small has nice pointy poisonous barbs that you need to respect. However we double bagged him (baby, about 1" long) and I had no problem aclimating to my tank. Old Blue (a damsel) lasted a day before he became a meal

Any special needs for this fish or special considerations for young specimen?

Not that I know of

Should this fish be the first or the last to introduce to a tank?

He was my third, after I put in a picasso trigger.

COMPATIBILITY
What tankmates do you have with this fish?

Picasso Trigger
Imperator Angel
Blue Tang

Is it a reef or FO tank?

It was FO, no live rock.

Have you had more than one of this species in the same tank?

No

Did this fish hurt/eat any of other fish (or vice versa)?

If it fit in it's mouth, it was eaten.

Did this fish hurt/eat Cnidaria (corals, mushrooms or anemones)?

Dunno, didn't have any

Did this fish hurt/eat ornamental crustaceans (shrimps, hermits, crabs)?

Dunno, didn't have any

FEEDING
How did you get this fish to eat at first?

He ate a damsel I had in there, so apparently he did fine.

If this fish only accepted live food, how did you wean it over to prepared food?

I didn't, and I regret this. I didn't know that goldfish would cause problems. This is what the folks told me to feed them and I did. he lived for 4 years and then the last few days he kinda bent midway down and there was a dark spot. He died a few days later.

Whatââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢s the diet?

Goldfish - but now I'm told Silver Sides are what you should feed them. Have not found much on feeding Lions anymore.

How much and how often do you feed?

When he was big I fed him 4 GF every other day.

How does this fish eat?

GLOMP! Casually swims up and bang it's gone.

GROWTH RATE AND LIFE SPAN
What is the initial size of your fish and maximum size it reached? How fast did it grow (how much growth over a given period of time)?

I didn't actively measure it, but within a few years he was as side fin to fin as my 55 gallon tank and was a site to behold.

What size tank did this fish live in? (or how soon did this fish outgrow what size tank)?

55 Gallon. He probably should have moved to a bigger tank by the time he'd grown, he was probably 12" - 18" wide with his fins splayed out.

What do you think is the minimum tank size required for an adult specimen of this fish?

I would say something wide would be nice, like 75 Gallon or maybe even 90 - 125

If this fish went through body pattern change from juvenile to adult, was the change complete?

No.

How long have you kept this fish?

He lived 4 years

If you no longer have this fish, what was the cause?

He died, I don't know for sure why but there was a dark spot about mid way down his back internally, looked like an organ ruptured and he slowly bled out the next day or two.

What is the longest lifespan and the maximum size of this fish in home aquarium and/or in the wild reported?

Don't know.

DISEASE AND TREATMENT

No Diseases.

BEHAVIOR
Does this fish change body color under any circumstances?

no

How active is this fish?

he was a slow mover, never bothered anyone unless he ate the goldfish.

How territorial or aggressive is this fish?

Not agressive unless it's smaller than his mouth, then he eats it.

How does this fish interact with tankmates?

Eats them if they're smaller or close to the size of his mouth, otherwise he left them all alone.

Did this fish ever jump out of the tank?

No, god that'd been ugly if that happened.

How does this fish sleep?

floating, never noticed anything

Does this fish allow cleaners to clean?

Didn't have any

How does this fish interact with human?

he would stare you down, never swam up at you while you were changing water or anything, rather calm.

Any other interesting observation of this fish?

If you have another meat eater that will go after the live food you potentially could have a problem. After 4 years of keeping him with a Huma Huma Trigger they both went for the same goldfish at the same time and the trigger got swallowed about half-way in. It was a stressful few seconds for all involved including me screaming at the tank going 'spit him out spit him out'.

Unfortunately after that incident the trigger died a day later.

REPRODUCTION

They got pointy fins that poison people? They mate? ;) Seriously though I only had one.

SUMMARY
Your overall assessment of this species -
How sensitive is this fish to poor water quality on a scale of 1-5?

Would you recommend this fish to beginners?

Yes.

Any other recommendations/comments?

Feed him something that is saltwater based, not freshwater. You will kill him / her slowly over a few years if you don't.

I wish I'd been able to get a picture of him. he was a beautiful fish and I still miss him.

OK here is the Facts on feeding a lionfish.

Goldfish are the worst feeders for a lionfish. They are high in fats and do not have the neccesary nutrients for a lion. Ghost Shrimp are the best live feeders (unless you live by the ocean, then you can catch marine minnows or shrimp.) Gut load these shrimp and feed them to your lion. Depending on the size of your lion determines how much you should feed him.
If your lion is:
1-5 inches--feed it everyday about 1-3 ghost shrimp daily. Try not to feed all at once. Space it out in the day.

6-11 inches-- feed it every 2 days about 1-4 ghost shrimp.

12-max inches-- feed it every 3 days about 1-5 ghost shrimp.

After the lion gets settled in his new home start trying to wean it over. Silversides and mysis shrimp ought to work. Impale the food with a piece of rigid airline tubing or a feeding stick and wiggle it so it looks alive. Keep trying until it accepts prepared foods.

Hope this helps.:smokin:

What do silversides look like? One place they looked like forzen minnows and they were longer than the lion fish. The other place they were this tiny little white things with black eyes. Both were given to me at different stores when I asked for them

Silversides are marine minnows. Try the ones that are smaller than the lionfish. As the lion gets bigger feed it the larger silversides.

I too have had a lion for over 1 and 1/2 now in my F/O tanks.

It was hand picked at a lfs -best way IMO

It is with, mexican dragon eel, niger and undulated trig in a 72 gal bow front

Feed is live rosie once a week, about 8 of them,

Frozen silversides once a week - about 5 of them

Fresh Scallops once every other week about 3 of the smallest you can find.

It would never take to the brine (of course) or frozens at first. Had to do live solely. This obviously has changed.

Very passive non agressive tempermant, but I aint no little fish, and he like to eat those!!

Cirri, if this is a serious post you're about to lose yor lionfish of 1 1/2 years.............with a Niger, possibly, but with an Undulated trigger that lionfish is living on borrowed time, and IMO, so is everything else in the tank.

The Undulated trigger and the Clown tang are listed in every handbook I've ever read the two species most commonly encountered that will decimate a tank, yet people insist on packing them into a community set up.........in your case, I'm hoping that no-one ever told you what is in store for you in the future and trying to give you a tip in time for you to prevent it.

Mike

Appreciate the reply, and yes it is serious.

Every thing was put in the tank at the same time. The undulated is growing at a very slow rate, and I got him when he was extremely small.

SO, I need to try and get him out is your suggestion? I have heard a few time recently the fears of undulated trigger, but this guy is so small. I guess I just figured he was used to all the other fish that were with him since a wee little lad.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the reply........unfortunately, the Undulateds ALWAYS eventually show their true nature as they grow, going from pleasent looking litle fish to a veritable Jack the Ripper as they add inches.
When little, their boldness endears them to many as they "nibble" at your fingers and show no fear, but as they grow those "nibbles" begin to hurt and soon pieces will begin to disappear from the other fish....that's just before the other fish begin to get massacred.
Honestly, I'd seriously consider trading it in or getting it its own tank.

Mike

I definately will have to do something! I care to much about all my creatures I keep. I guess, I was just hopeful he would be used to his other inhabitants. My does not have any "boldness" though he hides all the time just about. Will prolly have to trade it out, no more room for tanks.

Thanks again, and back on topic......if you get a lion don't put an undulated in there!!!

Actually, cirri, lions aren't good tankmates for any of the triggers, although some of the more peaceful pelagic species may leave them alone in a large tank.
As a rule, triggers are too tough, fast and agile for a lion and simply bite off the fins, musch as they would the spines of an urchin.......any lionfish that wins a battle with a triggerfish was large enough to eat it in one bite! While the lions have large mouths, they are surprisingly peaceful fish with anything too large to eat.

Mike

Not looking for a fish fight in my tank!! I do believe the niger should be fine! And I definately agree it has been the most peaceful/graceful fish I have kept! (and I want to keep it that way) Thanks for your advice!!!

You're welcome.......one more little thing......is the F/O tank the 72 gal. that you have listed?

If so, keep in mind that they can reach about 18", so I wouldn't add too much more, even though it looks a little empty now.

Mike

It is the 72, nothing else has been added since the original stock, but thanks!

My octo tank is the one that looks empty because I can have hardly anything else in there!

Good question back on this thread.... Do you happen to know the average life expectancy (in captivity) of Volitans?

Actually, that's what started this whole survey and thread as we suspect they are long-lived, but most people seem to manage to keep them alive a year or so before losing them to disease, illness or triggerfish **grin**.

As more of us are becoming aware of just how peaceful they really are, already a difference seems to be evidencing itself.

We currently have a spawning pairy of dwarf fuzzy lions (32 spawnings to date, but no luck rearing fry so far...hopefully spring and an abundance in live wild plankton may change this), and a pair of P. russellii that are in spawning condition and are courting, but no eggs yet...soon they'll be moved to the deeper 300 gal. tank and, again, hopefully the deeper tank will produce another spawning pair.

We also just added a brilliant red male P. volitans to the growing tank, and as soon as it's large enough to keep with our stonefish, we're hoping it will spawn with our really dark large black female (about 14")

Mike

GL with the breeding!!! Has anyone successfully captive bred lions?

Thanks again for your help, pic of Foo attached!!!!

Thanks, cirri....actually, you're asking the wrong person.....Frank Marini, one of the moderators for this forum, has written one of the best lionfish and scorpionfish articles to date (listed as Nov. Reefkeeping Scorpionfish, I believe) that's a MUST READ, in my opinion, located at the top of this forum.
Additionally, he moderates a forum specifically on the breeding and rearing of marine fish elsewhere in this site and is one of the most knowledgable people I've ever had the pleasure of almost meeting! **grin**

As far as I know, the dwarf fuzzies have been bred with some regularity, but I've only seen mention of the larger species breeding in the wild and in large public aquariums, where the event was just an act of nature that was totally by accident......then again, advances in this hobby happen so fast that it's difficult to keep up with.

To the best of my knowledge, no-one has so far been able to rear lionfish or scorpionfish in captivity (and after 32 spawns, it's easy to see why! **grin**) but spring is here again and we're hoping that the availability of live, wild plankton will be the deciding factor that allows us to at least raise a couple this year.
Or next year
Or the year after.....:D

Mike

Back