Flow in large tanks

I have a 300+ display and run 4 Vortech MP40's on opposite ends of the tank on opposite sides- flow would be considered circular in motion. My return pump is a Dart which has 7 - 3/4" lockline returns to the top of the tank. I have PLENTY of flow with this setup.

I welcome guests to my house or I can e-mail pics on request.

L.R.

here is how i set up my 180 cube..flow is split between a top closed loop using a dart and OM 4 way and a bottom closed loop using a separate dart and OM 4 way. the intakes for both are on the back wall and are 2" i believe. i have since rotated the pvc returns so the top CL rotates clockwise and the bottom return rotates counter clockwise.

bulkheadsarein.jpg

hoodanddooron.jpg

completed shot

complete.jpg

Hello Mike (porp-frags)

look here in this link of a friend of mine (its in german - but the pictures are self explanatory) - the third and forth last pictures (showing the sump) show the "Y"´s and the arches..
sample of "Y"´s and arches

regards

Markus

Sabodish that cube is tight! What was done with the outlets - locline nozzles? Are those outlet BH 1"?

Markus - thanks for the link - the pics are great. A very high-quality build with all the sch 80 plumbing! Gotta love the crane-though-the-window shot. What kind of pumps are those on the CL?

Call me paranoid, but I don’t have a single hole in my display. What exactly do you do when a bulkhead in the bottom of the tank needs maintenance? Anyway in my tank, there’s one long overflow that runs the entire length of the back glass, with 10x 2” outlets drilled in the overflow box. 2x 1.5” returns come right down the center of the tank, and are covered with rock all the way to the water’s surface. The rock in the tank is supported on a PVC framework and that framework is plumbed to the returns. Outlets are 8x eductors with spare ports to add or move eductors later.

I also try to keep any and all electrical devices as far from the display as possible. Partially for aesthetics, but also just in case electrical fields really do screw with fish.

Also, I really love the idea of surgers, but bubbles in the outlet, infrequency of surges, and large water level variations are some significant shortcomings. I've been trying to dream up way around those. A bubble baffle of the outlet is possible but adds complexity, and steals some of the thunder. I read somewhere that on average it's 2-5 seconds from one wave crest to the next on reefs. Getting that out of a surger is tough (impossible). Maybe with very many small surgers.. maybe. Still a wave box is more elegant in those respects.

prop-frags...those are 1" threaded bulkheads. i screwed in 1" 45's and 90's to direct the flow where i want it to go. It may not be for everyone, but it works for me.

mdreef1..you are correct. if one of those bottom bulkheads needs repaired i will be draining my tank. its a chance like 75% of us take!

Call me paranoid, but I don't have a single hole in my display. What exactly do you do when a bulkhead in the bottom of the tank needs maintenance? Anyway in my tank, there's one long overflow that runs the entire length of the back glass, with 10x 2" outlets drilled in the overflow box. 2x 1.5" returns come right down the center of the tank, and are covered with rock all the way to the water's surface. The rock in the tank is supported on a PVC framework and that framework is plumbed to the returns. Outlets are 8x eductors with spare ports to add or move eductors later.

I also try to keep any and all electrical devices as far from the display as possible. Partially for aesthetics, but also just in case electrical fields really do screw with fish.

500g is pretty awesome. Got any pictures?

CL Designs

CL Designs

Here are a couple of drawings I made this evening for CL designs.
The scale of this is for the Marineland 300 DD (72x36)

cldesign.jpg

What I've been thinking about is using a Dart, and thus a 2" inlet BH.
The high-level decisions are:
1) To drill the bottom or back
... this is a widely-debated question with well-known pros/cons
2) If drilling the bottom, to run the lines to the outlets external or inside the tank
... If lines are run external, it would allow for valves to tune flow to each outlet. If lines are internal, they take up space, and limit flexibility for adjustments or maintenance
3) If drilling the back, what are the best ways to get the flow where we want it?
... manifold external, with pvc lines to outlets (this would allow for some valves and flow control), or
... manifold internal, with pvc lines to outlets, (no control)
... maybe some kind of flexible lines inside, like 3/4" vinyl hose to each outlet?

What do you guys think? For those of you who've done this, what would recommend based on your experience?

here is how i set up my 180 cube..flow is split between a top closed loop using a dart and OM 4 way and a bottom closed loop using a separate dart and OM 4 way. the intakes for both are on the back wall and are 2" i believe. i have since rotated the pvc returns so the top CL rotates clockwise and the bottom return rotates counter clockwise.

completed shot

complete.jpg

That is a stunning setup! So clean and nice looking.

I have a 300+ display and run 4 Vortech MP40's on opposite ends of the tank on opposite sides- flow would be considered circular in motion. My return pump is a Dart which has 7 - 3/4" lockline returns to the top of the tank. I have PLENTY of flow with this setup.

I welcome guests to my house or I can e-mail pics on request.

L.R.

LR, can I talk you into putting up some pics here? How do you like the MP40s?

Found this thread at a perfect time. Been trying to figure out a closed Loop system for my 300 gal mixed reef for a while now. Other forums weren't giving me the help I needed. This weekend I will post pictures of where I am at right now and hopefully you gays and gals can point me in the right direction.
Thanks
mark

Need some help,
I had a guy helping me set up my tank, tank was up and running before but took it down to do some remodeling,
At the time I wanted to change the way I had the plumbing, I wanted to come up through the bottom of the tank with the returns. So this guy drilled 4 holes into the bottom of the tank and clued some bulkheads in. the guy ended up splitting on me and I really didn't know what he had in mind for my tank so I am left to finish it.
After doing some research I decided to keep using my overflow and and still have my returns come in through the top. I also want to incorporate a closed loop system since I already have 4 holes in the bottom of my tank.
Some of the questions I have are the size of the inlet and returns, the 4 holes are the same size at 3/4"
what do I need to do to finish this?
was thinking about drilling two more larger holes for the inlet and maybe placing them to the left and right of my overflow box up on the short side of the tank.
was also thinking about having a PVC structure with holes in it going through the rocks for flow.
What are your suggestions on how to proceed, what size and type of closed loop pump?
what size of main return pump? I have one overflow pipe that is 1"
here are some pictures to show you where I am at
thanks for any help.
fishtankbuild006.jpg

fishtankbuild007.jpg

fishtankbuild008.jpg

Hello Calif-reef,

can you post pictures of your overflow and how it looks in the stand under the tank?

regards

Markus

Tried to upload some picture to my computer and it won't let me. (Darn Computers)
my overflow is 5 X 5 x 5 with one hole in the bottom.
Thanks
mark

cali reef i would drill the intake hole/s for the cl in the short wall like u said. a 2" bulkhead would be a good size and use something like a dart to power the cl. the outputs for the cl in the bottom i would add some pvc fitting and stack ur rockwork around it to hide them.

for the overflow u said u have a 1" bulkhead witch isnt going to need alot of flow maybe 600 gph max after headloss. the return from the sump would also need to go over the top or have a hole drill for it.

Hello,

an overflow with just 1 hole is not a good thing - you should at least consider an extra emergency tube as well.
For your size of tank I would consider two separat closed loop circuits - so you need 2 intakes for the two pumps. Also the outlets are rather small for a good stream - they should be in the area of 1 1/2" to 1 3/4".

regards

Markus

Back