For those keeping seagrasses.

• Yep.

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Nope.

Votes: 9 64.3%

• Total voters

Will

Premium Member
For those of you who keep seagrasses, are you dosing Iron? If so, what dosage?
-Will

Hi Will,

I dose my system (400gallons) with 15mg of Iron every 3 days. A bit less when my stock is low ;) My sugestion is to start with a low dosage and gradually ramp it up, watch closely how the sea grass and any macro's are doing as well as any nuisance algae. When you get to the point that a higher dosage doesn't show any benifit to the plants than back down the lower dosage that showed good growth rates. No point in putting in more than apears to get used ;)

PS I'll send you sample of the stuff I use with your Sea Grass :)

I don't. I had when I was using caulerpa and it seems to help the growth. But with seagrass I did not notice any change in the growth rate when dosing iron.

Thanks for the info Bill. I will definately do it that way when the grasses come. I look forward to trying out what you use too! :) Thanks for your input too JB :)
-Will

dosing smosing!

dosing smosing!

Why create more work for yourself. #1, it's not necessaryfor the health of the plants. #2, it's going to take time away from actually enjoying your tank. And, #3, wasn't there just a big article and huge discussion about metals building up in synthetic sea water? WHY would you want to ADD MORE?
Do not spend money unnecessarily on supplements and chemicals. The hobby is expensive enough! Don't create a mini-toxic waste dump in your house. Frequent small water changes, good lighting, good filtration. and your set!

Re: dosing smosing!

Re: dosing smosing!

FloridaPets said:
wasn't there just a big article and huge discussion about metals building up in synthetic sea water? WHY would you want to ADD MORE?
Do not spend money unnecessarily on supplements and chemicals.

Iron was one of the metals that was very much UNDER normal seawater levels in that study. I wouldn't worry about it building up.

I guess it depends on the study

I guess it depends on the study

I found this break down from someplace, it's not Dr. Ron's, but it does break down natural seawater against synthetics.

The last table on this page shows the iron content;

http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/1999/mar/features/1/default.asp

So, according to this data, there is more iron in synthetics than in Natural seawater.
Regardles, I still believe it is not wise. It is a hassle and it is expensive and unnecessary. However, if you have the extra time and the extra money, knock yourself out.

Thanks for your opinion Florida Pets, but this is the first I have heard that Iron is not necessary (or at least benficial) to seagrasses. One thing to take into accound is that the articles you reference probably deal with water samples from reef areas. Lagoonal areas and seagrass bed habitats have different seawater makeups, however. So, yes, that information may (or may not) be applicable to reef tanks, but I'm still curious about seagrass beds. Know what I mean?
-Will

reef tanks or strictly sea grass lagoon tank?

reef tanks or strictly sea grass lagoon tank?

So we are assuming that everyone interested here are not using sea grasses in their refugium or in their fish aquarium? I've sold plenty of seagrasses to many people using it as a nutrient remover or for asthetics in their aquarium. I still say it is a waste of money, and anyone who thinks it's necessary has some iron to sell.

Here's an interesting link over on RDO's Library section on the subject. IMO the necessesity of iron additions can vary from one tank to the next depending on such factors as water change routines and feeding. In my own systems I have noticed a positive response to iron additions on Sea Grasses, else I wouldn't bother.

My grass bed

My grass bed

I push tabs that are used by fresh water aquarium growers. They are specifically geared towards Cryptocorns and iron. I break one tab and push one half of the tab into the 5" sand bed down about 2"or until I hit the roots. My grass is starting to spread finally. It is under 250MH 10K bulbs in my Corallimorpharians and button grow out tank. I do this about once every month.

Back