FS: Turn Key Ozone Generator w/ controller & probe

Dirt4dinner

Home Growin' SUSHI!
This is the "idiots" guide to Ozone. All you have to do is plug it in and turn the dial to where you want it.

Included:
Enaly OZX-300U Ozone Generator
Air Dryer w/ beads and hose
Ozone resistant hose that attaches to skimmer
Milwaukee ORP Monitor (Model #SMS510) and Controller
Milwaukee ORP Probe

It's pretty much set it and forget it.

$175 for the whole thing.

Ozone001.jpg

Last edited:
In a nut shell....gives you crystal clear water and makes your skimmer act like it's on steroids. The scientific explanation is a little uneasy even to the most knowledgeable reef keeper, it's one of those debatable topics.

Bump. Lots of interest but nobody pulled the trigger. It's just sitting here waiting to clarify someone's water.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9243099#post9243099 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by army67romeo
hey what do the Ozone do ? i have never been told what is does

This came from an article from Otto Segura Ph.D. hope this helps a little

"Ozone is the most powerful oxidant readily available for water treatment. It is used by injecting it into the water. This is normally done in a chamber commonly known as an ozone reactor, but most commonly it is injected into a protein skimmer directly. Before the treated water is returned to the aquarium it must be passed through an ozone destruction device, such as a UV light of activated charcoal. The water treated has to have all ozone removed from it. This is very important in order to prevent burns in the gills of fishes, and delicate membranes of other organisms.

ozone for the treatment of aquarium water
is an overkill measure that destroys most
the eggs and larvae of the many organisms
that make up plankton. Most of these larvae
and eggs are from the very organisms that
we are trying to maintain

Ozone is a "non selective" oxidizer that can eliminate bacteria, viruses, iron, manganese, hydrogen sulfide, taste, and color. If someone is exposed to ozone it can cause burns to the skin and more dangerous burns in the lungs if it is aspirated. Ozone is at least a 50% stronger oxidizer than chlorine. The advantage of using ozone is when it is oxidized it reverts to oxygen. Ozone is very unstable, it will revert to oxygen within about an hour, even if there are no organics for it to oxidize.

As it can be seen by its description, the use of ozone for the treatment of aquarium water is an overkill measure that destroys most the eggs and larvae of the many organisms that make up plankton. Most of these larvae and eggs are from the very organisms that we are trying to maintain and most of the rest are organisms that serve as food for our organisms. Only a small portion of the organisms suspended in the water are undesirable in our system, this does not justify the use of ozone in our systems.

The ultraviolet sterilizer is another piece of equipment that is very efficient in the removal of bacteria, algae, fungi, and organic compounds. These compound can be part of an organism or dissolved directly into the water. This sterilizer uses ultraviolet radiation in the range of 254 nm. Ultraviolet radiation is able to break the molecular bonds of many biochemical compounds including DNA."

Roy,
I appreciate your research...I don't so much appreciate you destroying any possibility of me selling this unit now. It has worked great in my tank, no burns on my fish, and my lungs work great.
If you want to debate the usefulness of Ozone on the modern aquarium than start your own thread and stay out of my "FOR SALE" thread.
I understand the question was asked in this thread, but you just posted one persons opinion on it...in a negative light nonetheless. Check out some of the back issues of RK Mag and see who uses it.
Again though, thanks for the research and killing my thread.

I use ozone in my tank. I have a controller also but I don't really need it since my tank is pretty big. My is on full bore all the time and it is injected into my skimmer.

I think the my water is pretty clear and my fish are happier because of it. Ozone is easier to maintain and more effective than UV since you have to make sure that the water flow through UV is correct and that the UV lens are clean and the bulb is up to date.

Just my opinion.

Dirt4dinner This is a great deal hope you sell it soon. If I was in the market for it and not saving for a new tank I would buy it in a heart beet.

Good luck.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9295828#post9295828 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dirt4dinner
Roy,
I appreciate your research...I don't so much appreciate you destroying any possibility of me selling this unit now. It has worked great in my tank, no burns on my fish, and my lungs work great.
If you want to debate the usefulness of Ozone on the modern aquarium than start your own thread and stay out of my "FOR SALE" thread.
I understand the question was asked in this thread, but you just posted one persons opinion on it...in a negative light nonetheless. Check out some of the back issues of RK Mag and see who uses it.
Again though, thanks for the research and killing my thread.

i'm sorry i missed part of what i was posting i didn't mean for it to be negative i think they work great but you need to be careful with there use and take precautions. I again apologize. I plan to use one in my aquarium in the future and didn't mean for it to sound like ozone was something that has negative affect on your tank.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9294949#post9294949 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rljlll
This came from an article from Otto Segura Ph.D. hope this helps a little

"Ozone is the most powerful oxidant readily available for water treatment. It is used by injecting it into the water. This is normally done in a chamber commonly known as an ozone reactor, but most commonly it is injected into a protein skimmer directly. Before the treated water is returned to the aquarium it must be passed through an ozone destruction device, such as a UV light of activated charcoal. The water treated has to have all ozone removed from it. This is very important in order to prevent burns in the gills of fishes, and delicate membranes of other organisms.

ozone for the treatment of aquarium water
is an overkill measure that destroys most
the eggs and larvae of the many organisms
that make up plankton. Most of these larvae
and eggs are from the very organisms that
we are trying to maintain

Ozone is a "non selective" oxidizer that can eliminate bacteria, viruses, iron, manganese, hydrogen sulfide, taste, and color. If someone is exposed to ozone it can cause burns to the skin and more dangerous burns in the lungs if it is aspirated. Ozone is at least a 50% stronger oxidizer than chlorine. The advantage of using ozone is when it is oxidized it reverts to oxygen. Ozone is very unstable, it will revert to oxygen within about an hour, even if there are no organics for it to oxidize.

As it can be seen by its description, the use of ozone for the treatment of aquarium water is an overkill measure that destroys most the eggs and larvae of the many organisms that make up plankton. Most of these larvae and eggs are from the very organisms that we are trying to maintain and most of the rest are organisms that serve as food for our organisms. Only a small portion of the organisms suspended in the water are undesirable in our system, this does not justify the use of ozone in our systems.

The ultraviolet sterilizer is another piece of equipment that is very efficient in the removal of bacteria, algae, fungi, and organic compounds. These compound can be part of an organism or dissolved directly into the water. This sterilizer uses ultraviolet radiation in the range of 254 nm. Ultraviolet radiation is able to break the molecular bonds of many biochemical compounds including DNA."

Sorry here is the rest of what i wanted to post and didnt.

Excellent water quality can be achieved by using an ozone generator to inject ozone into the salt water aquarium by way of a protein skimmer or ozone reactor. This injected ozone is used to react with organic compounds in the salt water aquarium resulting in less waste and water that is crystal clear. The yellow tint, common with salt water aquariums will be completely removed. Corals and fish will be happier also due to the increased levels of oxygen in the water. Ozone is created by moving oxygen (O2) past an ozone bulb in the ozone generator resulting in a molecule with an extra oxygen molecule (O3). This resulting molecule is very effective in cleaning the tank water. It can be very destructive also. Water leaving the protein skimmer should pass through activated carbon to remove any residual ozone. Water quality can be measured with an O.R.P. meter. It will read the oxidation reduction potential of the tank water.

Thanks for finishing up the article Roy. There are many things to consider when adding anything to an aquarium...and Ozone is one of the more serious things that can be added. But beneficial when done the right way.

ozone is very reactive, it readily cleaves large organic molecules into smaller ones making them easier to remove via a protein skimmer. there is relativly low risk using this "tool" and ozone in most applications (especially protein laden aquarium water) breaks down in less than two minutes as it is very unstable. the return water should be run through a carbon block or UV prior to tank release, this will remove any remaining ozone. in my humble opinion (as a chemical engineer in training) it would be a valuable addition to most aquariums.

wow this is a 200-300mg hr unit. Can't believe you were using that on your small tank . That could have been one of the issues with your tank anyways how those corals doing you went home with .

Everything is doing good. I had the Ozone on a controller, and it wasn't running very often. I also loaded my sump with activated carbon to clean up the excess ozone that made it through the skimmer

Back