GCA keeps eating my Clowns

SS_Sean

I'm sure this has been asked before. I apologize but I'm new to the hobby and new here. We introduced a beautiful Green Carpet Anemone into our tank last week. He anchored in the sand where we sat him, and all is well. He's spread out nicely. Only problem is we had a Clown disappear a couple days ago. We looked all over and it was pretty evidence this GCA ate him when we found the left-overs had been pooped out.

Tonight my wife was watching the tank and all the sudden yelled out, "He's eating my Clown!" She loves her Clowns. I gently pried the GCA open enough to grab the Clowns tail and carefully pulled the Clown out by the tail, ensuring I didn't hurt the little dude. He laid at the bottom of the tank for a while. We put him in the QA tank along with the other three Clowns, and he's up and swimming now. Hopefully he'll make it through the night. Fortunately, he wasn't wrapped up but for about 1 minute.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions of what to do in this situation I would greatly appreciate it. We only have two tanks, our 60 gal, and our 10 gal QA tank. I don't know that there is anyway to coax a anemone to accept clowns? Did I not feed the anemone enough? I've been feeding him a silverside or some krill every other day. Should I just seperate the GCA away from the 60 gal and keep him in the 10 gal tank from here on out?

Thanks.

I'm sure this has been asked before. I apologize but I'm new to the hobby and new here. We introduced a beautiful Green Carpet Anemone into our tank last week. He anchored in the sand where we sat him, and all is well. He's spread out nicely. Only problem is we had a Clown disappear a couple days ago. We looked all over and it was pretty evidence this GCA ate him when we found the left-overs had been pooped out.

Tonight my wife was watching the tank and all the sudden yelled out, "He's eating my Clown!" She loves her Clowns. I gently pried the GCA open enough to grab the Clowns tail and carefully pulled the Clown out by the tail, ensuring I didn't hurt the little dude. He laid at the bottom of the tank for a while. We put him in the QA tank along with the other three Clowns, and he's up and swimming now. Hopefully he'll make it through the night. Fortunately, he wasn't wrapped up but for about 1 minute.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions of what to do in this situation I would greatly appreciate it. We only have two tanks, our 60 gal, and our 10 gal QA tank. I don't know that there is anyway to coax a anemone to accept clowns? Did I not feed the anemone enough? I've been feeding him a silverside or some krill every other day. Should I just seperate the GCA away from the 60 gal and keep him in the 10 gal tank from here on out?

Thanks.

Thats so sad and hopefully it wasn't an expensive clown like mine..I had a picasso perc grade a just dissapear from my tank..I looked everywhere and no luck..I'm so sad right now:(anemone must be out of my tank by tomorrow...it's beautiful but i have too many expensive fish to be a quick snack for this guy...rip my nemo and yours!!

No kidding.... You're just down the road from me. You want an anemone? He's cute, but he's got fangs...

Just asking, do you ahve a pic? I have noticed some Atlantic Carpets being sold as Haddonis/Gigs. Not saying that Haddonis/Gigs will not eat clowns, just wondering.

Quickcord

Last edited:
h3g9.jpg

^^^is that pic showing up for you guys? Thanks for the help. The Long Tent Anem is the background is Atlantic, as I understand it. It's a possibility...

I'm curious what type of clowns you had/have, and did they go into that nem on their own, or were they coaxed or contained w/ that nem?

Back