GCA keeps eating my Clowns

They were four Oscellaris Clowns... and yeah, I'm sure the two went in there on their own. Unless.... those damned Yellow Tangs tricked them in. Those boys hang out with the rough crowd. ;) :)

They were four Oscellaris Clowns... and yeah, I'm sure the two went in there on their own. Unless.... those damned Yellow Tangs tricked them in. Those boys hang out with the rough crowd. ;) :)

Ok, and how old are those occs, could they have paired off and fought?

They were very young, but no, the Enema definitely ate one and pooped it out, and then we had the tug of war over the second.... BTW, that second one didn't make it through the night. :(

You have a Haddoni carpet. Haddoni carpets are known to eat clowns if they don't adapt to it slowly. My Blue Haddoni will eat Ocellaris but Percula and Percula/Ocellaris hybrid do OK with this carpet. Once the clown move in on their own, they are safe. I never had a clown got eaten after they live in the anemone for a few days.

Yeah but how do you keep your clowns around an anem like this long enough for them to acclimate without having the anem hulk out on your fish?

Thanks, Orion. We were dont at the LPS and an tank builder came in. We talked with him and he said the same thing, true percs have a slime coating and the Oscellaris don't really. So the true percs do much better with the carpets. The LPS took the anemone back and gave us a credit. Lesson learned. :beer:

Yeah but how do you keep your clowns around an anem like this long enough for them to acclimate without having the anem hulk out on your fish?
If you have a tank without anything that threaten the clowns, they will slowly get into the anemone. Initially they slightly touch it, then more and more. They will be fine. If the the clown got scare and dove right into the Haddoin, this is where they make their fatal mistake. Often when they just got release into the tank, the clown got eaten.

Thanks, Orion. We were dont at the LFS and an tank builder came in. We talked with him and he said the same thing, true percs have a slime coating and the Oscellaris don't really. So the true percs do much better with the carpets. The LFS took the anemone back and gave us a credit. Lesson learned. :beer:
I am not sure about slime coat, but clowns do have some unknown methods to keep anemones firing their nematocysts

From my experience with clowns n nem... There might be a cloak persay but I don't see them having this slime. I did an experience with two different carpets haddoni and gigantea... Putting the clowns in one tank with haddoni and once it goes in and move around I then move it and put it with gigantea. It immediately went into the gig without hesitation and nothing happened to him. from my conclusion I personally don't think clowns have some sort of cloak better yet like Nemos father said it does sting them but they can tolerate it (evolution).

Last edited:
Interesting. Thanks guys. I'd like to experiment with this again some day soon. Just not in the display tank, and not with mama's clowns. She didn't like them getting eatin'. :)

I had a green striped haddoni eat 3 black ocellaris. Haddoni's can pack quite the punch that's for sure. My solution was to get rid of the nem. I liked my fish better.

I had a green striped haddoni eat 3 black ocellaris. Haddoni's can pack quite the punch that's for sure. My solution was to get rid of the nem. I liked my fish better.

Zang! Those were expensive meals! I dont blame you....:uhoh2:

Just a funny update.... the LFS took the carpet back, as I mentioned. They had to put the carpet in it's own little tank as he kept eating the fish they had in with him. I'm trying to talk with wife into letting me buy him back and put him in my 30 gallon tank we set up... I don't think she's buying it.

If this nem eats fish, why would you want to put it back into a tank? You won't be able to have fish in this 30 gallon. There are more nems out there that you can get that won't eat your fish.

BTW how they "hunt" ? I never got what people mean that they got aggro nem....

If something touch nem ofc it get killed.
Do they mean that it smells so good for occe clowns that they walk in and get killed just like that or what.

Back