Generators

If you turn off the main, how are you back feeding? If that's the case, then when I shut off my main can I still be shocked? I would think if the circuit is open or off, then the power shouldn't jump...
I may want to look into this and find out the answer, or do people just say that so you don't accidentally forget to do it and scare you?
The transfer switches work on the same principle they just stop the power by opening that main circuit or so I thought. I'm not an electrician though but do understand the principles.
Something nobody has brought up is that you should all make sure to ground your generators Properly

I ran mine 24/7 for 5 days straight. I don't care what the manu recommends. I'll take my chances.
I totally understand WHY you ran it 24/7, BUT, if it had seized-up after 3 days, what were the chances of you finding another one, or getting it repaired, ASAP! Even a hour 'break' ONCE or twice a day would not have hurt the tank or your home.
I have 2 generators that I alternate every 8 hours...sounds like another $350 would be 'cheap' insurance for you.

I totally understand WHY you ran it 24/7, BUT, if it had seized-up after 3 days, what were the chances of you finding another one, or getting it repaired, ASAP! Even a hour 'break' ONCE or twice a day would not have hurt the tank or your home.
I have 2 generators that I alternate every 8 hours...sounds like another $350 would be 'cheap' insurance for you.

Yep totally true. They are onsale now for $300 and in stock. I think i will pick up another one. Good to back up your back up. lol Thanks fror the idea. :thumbsup:

Yeah good idea. But to be honest. Most of these gens will take some serious abuse before they are broken and wont work. Most of them have shut off switches if the oil gets low as well. I'm not saying run it till it stops or anything like that, I'm just saying most of them are pretty tough. We use them on the job at work all the time, and I have seen gens run pretty much straight for over a year and not have problems. AND the guys didn't take care of it at all. The ran it till it stopped and then they checked the oil, not the other way around. Constant heavy loads on them etc.
It's not good for them to do that, but the are pretty tough little machines.
I have one of the new Rigid gens that has an hour meter on it, it also has a meter that tells you exactly how much power it is using so you know where your at. It's on wheels as well and has a handle that folds out like a furniture dolly so it's easy to move around. It's a couple hundred pounds though so the handle helps a LOT. All in all it's a great gen and I was impressed with how easily it handled my tank, furnace, house, and my neighbors stuff lol. Happy I was able to loan it out to friends who still don't have power for this storm, and happy it worked well for me and friends after Irene.
They are a pretty cheap insurance policy when you think of the sort of money you put into a tank. Like I posted in another thread you can pick up a small one that will run the bare bones on your tank for $100. Heater, skimmer, return pump, power-head. Not too bad. A little more money and your running gravy stuff. My Rigid was a lot more, but I wanted to be able to run my house on it. I do need to wire in a transfer switch one of these days.

Roman, how many watts does one need to run an an abbreviated household? For example tank, furnace and fridge?

I know the question wasn't directed at me, but I was running my tank, fridge, boiler, and well pump (along with some lights) and never went above 2000w on my generator. There's an in-line watt meter on my transfer switch.

Roman, how many watts does one need to run an an abbreviated household? For example tank, furnace and fridge?

Rob I ran my system, fridge, freezer, lights in most rooms, laptop, furnace and a 27" TV.
It's 3500/4000w. And they are on sale at Cabelas for $300
It avg about 2700w while running.

Wow guys. Mine is 5550 running and 8580 starting watts. Now I just need it wired by a pro. Extension cords suck. Gotta keep the doors cracked open for cords. Not very efficient. I got power back Thursday night. All in all my tank looks good. I even had some new frags "base out" during the outage.

Remember that anything running on a 240v circuit is going to pull twice as many amps as 120 stuff.

Wiring it together isn't very difficult, but if you're uncomfortable with electricity, I don't think it would cost much to have an electrician take care of it.

I have 5 snakes, a bearded dragon, veiled chameleon, 5 tanks including my reef, etc and 7550 watts was plenty.

Fox, I believe you have that backwards - 240V will draw half the amps, but the same power (total watts) because W = V * A (wattage = voltage times current in amps).

I have a Honda 3500W unit,and ran it full on 24 hours for both the 6 days during Irene and the 5 during this storm. It has a low oil switch and it kicked in on this last storm. I have battery powered air pumps and use that to wake me if power were to go out. This woke me one morning and it was oil a little low. Added oil and turned right back on.

3500W powers the oil furnace (and power venter - not a conventional chimney), well pump, tank, TV and TiVo's, as well as house lights and garage lights and garage door. NOT the hot water heater though. Looking to replace the electric hot water heater with a propane unit, as I'd have hot water then too! ;-)

The well pump draw will depend on the well pump. Mine draws 5K on startup, but drops to a running draw of about 2500W. Also have meters on the transfer switch. I installed the transfer switch myself, but I've done quite a bit of residential electrical. The transfer switch is a 10-circuit setup for a 30A max generator. Two of the circuits are tied for the well pump. I wish I had a larger generator, but the Honda's are anything but cheap.

Remember, always chain that bad boy to an immovable object!

Right, I meant to say watts, not amps.

A 7550w generator (just to use mine as an example) will supply a 240v circuit with 31.46 max Amps. To a 120v circuit it will supply 62.92 max Amps.

So a dryer or range that uses for example 1500W is going to pull 6.25A while a collection of smaller appliances totaling 1500W will pull 12.5.

Sorry for the confusion.

Well, after 8 days with no power, my 300$ 4000 watt generator saved my tank and my sanity. I pretty much ran it 24/7 cause I didnt have much of a choice and really thankful for it.

hi all,

been on the road awhile, tanks great. Hey i have a brigs an straton 7500 gen and run it non stop. it powers everything and laundry too for days on end. make sure you have an extinguisher on hand and a worthy operator while while hot fueling. Gas has a flash point of 110 degrees. It poweres my 3x 250s suump and all the house with out a whimper.

It did concern me that having 10,000plus in my set up to go the better route so i bought a welder/gen with 10,000 watts out put(miller trial blazzer). I ran that puppy for week and a half with 16 gals a day and had the big screens playing with all my spots on outside to watch those little hummingbirds clinging to my apple trees all through the hurricane.
My only draw back was my neighbors ask me to shut it down at night,due to the fact they alll ran out of gas 3 days in. which i promptly suggested they leave my property and felt i had to light the gen area and booby trap its dog house door for fear of reprisel.

Its new england folks and the world is in a constant change, get your fit ready for the shan!

My house contains three sump pumps 3/4 hp well pmp. oil heat,(wood stove is main) source, numerous 208v spot lamps. freezers and all major appl. and 3 tvs. Plus my 8x15 tank/pmp room. and laundry 2 ac's. all of which my 7500 did nice job on as long as you didnt run or start everything at once. My welder /gen rocks. them all with hardly a rpm chnge.

You can always rent welder/gen in a pinch most people dont think of them as house pwr., or have a kohler permently install if you go self start.

I lent my honda generator (Coleman with Honda 3.9gx 8750/7000) to a coworker who still doesn't have power. He told me this morning it stopped working.... Looks like something wrong with the electronics. Probably the board got fried. Motor still runs fine but no electricity. He said in the middle of it running the power went out but the motor was still going. Said the brushes looked fine too. Oh well. At least it got me past Irene and helped him out for a few days. Does anyone ground theirs? Not sure if this could cause the issue.

I ran mine 24/7 for 5 days straight. I don't care what the manu recommends. I'll take my chances. Mine is Champion 3500/4000w. Bought it at Cabelas $350 3 yrs ago.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Champion-3500-Watt-Generator/746396.uts?WTz_l=Home%3Bcat110647980

OK so I just bought a second gen. At $299 you can't beat the price. Cheap insurance. ;)

Back