Genicanthus sp. Angels

TJ_Burton

Concerning Genicanthus angels, specifically bellus & lamarck, has anyone had any experiences they could share regarding either of these fish? Everything I read says they are good aquarium and reef candidates, being suspension feeders and not grazers. Recommended tank size has varied from 35g up to 75g so I am not quite sure what is going on there.

Genicanthus bellus
genicanthus_bellus_x.jpg

Genicanthus lamarck
LamarcksAngelfishWMA_Ap15PcA.jpg

Thanks!

I think they are wonderful fish and about as reef safe as any "reef safe" fish. I would not keep one in a tank smaller than a 120G as they get over six inches when mature and are active swimmers. Also, they are substantial fish and as such eat a lot and produce a fair amount of waste. They are really great fish though. I have five from two different species, 3 G. watanabei's and two G. melanospilos. You have to be careful to get ones that were decompressed properly as some are deepwater and can die from decompression sickness.

A bellus can get upto 7" so even a 75g may be tight. They swim and feed in the open and the two females I've prefer meaty food, pellets and not much greens. Non aggressive toward each other or their tankmates and imo they are easy to care for. Watanabe are pretty much the same but my female Swallowtail have goten very aggressive toward other smaller fishes in the last couple of months. Sorry I don't have any exp with Lamarck.

Here's my favorite picture of them
DSC_0033.jpg

My 5.25" male Watanabe added yesterday and settled in nicely with 3 females (2 here in the picture)

IMG_3574.jpg

Would you consider bellus a fast growing fish? How quickly would you think a juvenile would reach it's adult size?

I think that would probably work fine for a while, provided you don't wind up with a nervous specimen and you get a smallish one.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12920765#post12920765 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TJ_Burton
Would you consider bellus a fast growing fish? How quickly would you think a juvenile would reach it's adult size?

I don't know from juv to adult but from February it was a big med and its large (around 5") now in less than 5 months.

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12921422#post12921422 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SteveJakubiec
Where would you think the best place to read up about them would be?

In my online search I didn't find much info that I didn't already seen here on RC. A good book to see pictures and description of each is Angelfishes of the World book by Kiyoshi Endoh which is available online such as Amazon.com

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12921539#post12921539 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by flameangel88
A good book to see pictures and description of each is Angelfishes of the World book by Kiyoshi Endoh which is available online such as Amazon.com

My favorite book.

I have two species of Genicanthus (not in the same tank). A Bellus pair in my 200 and a watanabei pair in my larger tank. Both are well behaved in my reef tanks. But I am not sure I would put them tanks that are too much smaller as they do like to swim.

Back