Get ready to pay more for all your imported reef livestock

liverock

RC Sponsor
Thanks to the wonderful cooperation we have in our ELECTED government officials....

USFWS no longer Inspecting/Clearing any Live Wildlife or Wildlife Product Shipments
During Overtime Hours on Weekdays/Weekend/Federal Holidays
Notify Congressional Delegations Now

The US Fish and Wildlife Service notified importers/exporters on March 11, 2013 that
"Effective immediately, the Service will not inspect or clear any wildlife import or export during overtime hours on weekdays, weekends, or Federal holidays.
We urge the wildlife import/export trade to adjust the timing of shipments accordingly to prevent the loss of live or perishable wildlife/wildlife products."

The justification for the suspension of a service funded by user fees is "sequestration." See USFWS Notice: http://www.fws.gov/le/publicbulletin/pb031113-sequestration-impacts.pdf

PIJAC urges concerned people to immediately contact their Congressional delegations to alert them of the negative impacts of the Fish and Wildlife Service's decision that it will not inspect or clear ANY wildlife shipments (live animals or wildlife products) "during overtime hours on weekdays, weekends, or Federal holidays." This decision is reportedly resulting from budget cuts related to sequestration despite the fact these services involve "user fees" and is a revenue profit center that clearly covers the cost of the program.

Steps:
"¢ PIJAC recommends that people contact not only the Washington, DC offices of their Senators and Representatives, but also their district offices.
"¢ Clearly explain how the USFWS decision impacts you and your industry
"¢ Be courteous and calm
"¢ Request the staff person have the Senator or Representative contact the Department of Interior and ask for an explanation as to why they cancelled a fee-for-service program/profit center and request reversal of the USFWS decision so American businesses are not adversely impacted
"¢ Follow up with a letter or email explaining your concerns and respectfully request they keep you informed of progress
"¢ Please keep PIJAC advised of any responses your receive
"¢ Please send PIJAC copies of your written comments and any written responses you receive
"¢ If any questions email marshall@pijac.org or call Marshall Meyers at 1-202-256-6726
"¢ Forward this information to anyone willing to speak up
"¢ Encourage employees, friends, competitors, neighbors, etc. to call their Congressional representatives
Talking points
"¢ Inspection of imports/exports of live wildlife and wildlife products is a Federal requirement. Inspections normally performed by the US Fish and Wildlife Service under a program funded by user fees that include special fees to compensate the Service for "overtime." Attached is fee schedule showing that minimum overtime fee is $105 per hour for weekdays with a 2-hour minimum. This is in addition to clearance fees of $186 0r $279 depending on permits.
"¢ It is somewhat ironic that the Service has chosen to eliminate a significant portion of a profit center which generates substantial annual income.
"¢ Majority of international flights arrive/depart after hours during weekdays or are on Saturdays and Sundays.
"¢ Large volumes of aquatic organisms as well as other live animal shipments are routinely imported after hours or on weekends. In a number of situations, such imports are only on weekends due to airline space availability and long-estabished practices that have ensured best humane handling.
"¢ If weekend inspections stopped, several large importers have reported they are likely going to be forced to suspend operations or go out of business. The ability to restructure one's operations to ship live animals on non-existent airline flights leaves no alternative than to consider alternate less humane modes of transport such as sea transport!
"¢ If a shipment arrives after hours due to conditions beyond the control of an airline (e.g. Traffic congestion, weather) or the shipper, live animal shipments will be left unattended for extended periods of time until an inspector reports for duty.
"¢ The airlines will not be able to restructure their schedules to fit within USFWS timeframes.
"¢ Forcing live animal shipments to be transported via circuitous routings, multiple carriers, significantly increasing transit time, and subjecting the animals to additional stress is hardly in the best interests of the animals
"¢ Over the years, the Service and Customs have collaborated to allow conditional releases when USFWS inspectors not available so why no longer available?
"¢ Shipper requests to have Customs clear shipments under Section 14.54 (see below) when Fish and Wildlife Service officers are unavailable has been denied even though this practice is a long standing practice. A Customs clearance does not replace a USFWS inspection but can be handled in way that animals are removed to an importer's facility to be held until they receive a "post-clearance inspection" official clearance by USFWS to sell, transfer or otherwise change custody. Ask why this process could not be used, especially for live animal shipments to minimize the likelihood of loss.
"¢ Other types of information you may want to have to answer their questions:
o Port(s) normally used
o Percentage of shipments requiring USFWS O/T charges
o Estimate amount you paid 2012 for overall USFWS user fees (do not include USDA fees) and provide separately amount paid for overtime services
o Explanation of how the suspension of service adversely impacts or is likely to impact the health and welfare of the animals as well as your business
o Note issues involved if have to arrange for less desirable multi-stop transport to attempt to meet the USFWS inspection window
"¢ Emphasize that import/export inspection program is a revenue/profit center operated on a user-fee basis and there was no need to scuttle it under the guise of "sequestration"
"¢ Recommend that the inspection program be reinstated immediately and state that neither sequestration nor imposition of a hiring freeze justifies suspension of this important service
Contact Information for Senators and Representatives (Washington and District offices):
http://www.contactingthecongress.org/

Pertinent regulation on how wildlife shipments may be handled when USFWS inspectors are not available:

§ 14.54 Unavailability of Service officers.
(a) Designated ports. All wildlife arriving at a designated port must be cleared by a Service officer prior to
Customs clearance and release. When importers or their agents expect live or perishable shipments of wildlife
or wildlife products or request inspection at the time of arrival, they must notify the Service at least 48 hours
prior to the estimated time of arrival. However, where a Service officer is not available within a reasonable
time, Customs Officers may clear live or perishable wildlife subject to post-clearance inspection and
investigation by the Service.
(b) Border and special ports. Wildlife lawfully imported at Canadian or Mexican border ports under § 14.16, or into
Alaska, Puerto Rico, or the Virgin Islands, under § 14.19, may, if a Service officer is not available within a reasonable
time, be cleared by Customs officers, subject to post-clearance inspectionand investigation by the Service.

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com

I guess the question here is, how much inspecting and clearing of imported livestock actually happens during 'overtime hours during weekdays, weekends and federal holidays'? Because I know the government, usually without fail, hates to work on their holidays, whether they have the budget for it or not. And overtime is usually not something they actively participate in, either.

There is a substantial amount of livestock that previously arrived on the weekends. Bali, Jakarta, Phillipines and Austrailia.

Dave B

Rock to Iceland, Europe, South Africa, South America...

Rock to Iceland, Europe, South Africa, South America...

I guess the question here is, how much inspecting and clearing of imported livestock actually happens during 'overtime hours during weekdays, weekends and federal holidays'? Because I know the government, usually without fail, hates to work on their holidays, whether they have the budget for it or not. And overtime is usually not something they actively participate in, either.

Most if not all shipments from overseas arrive after hours...and weekends...this will be a huge impact...just wait for the fallout....

The reason I quit shipping international was because of the clearance fees for each and every shipment, usually amounted to around $800 for each shipment, after CITIES fees, inspection fees, after hours fees, weekend fees, it got to a point where it was just not worth it anymore, as I used to ship live rock world wide back in the day, is just not cost effective, or worth the pain and hassle any more...:mad2:

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com

And you've got some really nice live rock with all kinds of goodies/hitchikers I've seen your rock in the past awesome!

I don't see how it would raise prices? So the wholesalers don't have to pay employees overtime on weekends to pick them up. Should lower prices. Pick them up from the airport on a weekday? Some distributors might have to plan a new shipping schedual. Might be a small shortage till they do.

Sequestration is meant to suck, be stupid, horrible and unthinkable. That's what they wanted, trying to motivate. Send your letters, that's what they news. Do be mindful that we are talking fish hobby not national security. This isn't going to ace the economy even if they make hundreds of dollars from each shipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since there are now less flights available for live cargo, the live cargo space is becoming more of a premium. Shipping rates on several of the airlines has already gone up in the past week.

yep, i may or may not be recieving my order tonight :(

We will see, waiting on the airline at this point.

Please enjoy your discussion, however, our forum rules clearly state that we do not allow political discussions. So the moment this turns that way, it will be closed.
You can talk about the laws and what they say, but when someone turns that to provide opinion on one political party or another, we are done here.

Clear enough?

I spoke with the president of one of the biggest importers here in the USA, and he said he didn't anticipate that this would impact prices at all.

And if my wholesalers prices don't go up, neither do mine.

more feedback...

more feedback...

Hello All,
Below is a copy of the letter which I sent to Eve Lieberman who handles issues regarding international trade, import/export for Jared Polis one of the Congressman for Colorado. I telephoned first, but I was informed that she was to be in meetings all day. I will follow up this e-mail with a call to her again tomorrow, and the next day until I actually get her on the phone.

Pretty simple letter. As you can see I cut and pasted a lot of the points in Marshalls e-mail. (They / He write's better than I do!) I would URGE ALL of you to do the same. It's a simple phone call, and most times the folks who are representing your state are more than happy to speak with you. Please get on it today.

Dear Ms Lieberman,
As a constituent in the state of Colorado and a business's owner in this state for more than 20 years. I am writing to you, in seek of some help with an issue which has arisen with a branch of the Dept. of the Interior, specifically U.S. Fish and Wildlife Division of Law Enforcement.

I am an importer of live reptiles, and have been in business for more than 20 years. I have been importing live reptiles into the United States since 1993, and I supply almost all of the Zoos in the United States, and many overseas, as well as private collectors and the Pet Trade.

On March 11th a Notice to the Wildlife Import/Export Community was issued by the USFWS Div. of Law Enforcement which will severely impact not only my business, but hundreds of others similar to mine in the United States. As well, it leaves me vulnerable to violating the Lacey Act, and open to penalties through no fault of my own. Please see the link below.

http://www.fws.gov/le/publicbulletin/pb031113-sequestration-impacts.pdf
• • Inspection of imports/exports of live wildlife and wildlife products is a Federal requirement. Inspections normally performed by the US Fish and Wildlife Service under a program funded by user fees that include special fees to compensate the Service for "overtime." Attached is fee schedule showing that minimum overtime fee is $105 per hour for weekdays with a 2-hour minimum. This is in addition to clearance fees of $186 0r $279 depending on permits.
• It is somewhat ironic that the Service has chosen to eliminate a significant portion of a profit center which generates substantial annual income.
• Majority of international flights arrive/depart after hours during weekdays or are on Saturdays and Sundays.
• Large volumes of aquatic organisms as well as other live animal shipments are routinely imported after hours or on weekends. In a number of situations, such imports are only on weekends due to airline space availability and long-estabished practices that have ensured best humane handling.
• If weekend inspections stopped, several large importers have reported they are likely going to be forced to suspend operations or go out of business. The ability to restructure one's operations to ship live animals on non-existent airline flights leaves no alternative than to consider alternate less humane modes of transport such as sea transport!
• If a shipment arrives after hours due to conditions beyond the control of an airline (e.g. Traffic congestion, weather) or the shipper, live animal shipments will be left unattended for extended periods of time until an inspector reports for duty.
• The airlines will not be able to restructure their schedules to fit within USFWS time frames.
• Forcing live animal shipments to be transported via circuitous routings, multiple carriers, significantly increasing transit time, and subjecting the animals to additional stress is hardly in the best interests of the animals

• Over the years, the Service and Customs have collaborated to allow conditional releases when USFWS inspectors not available so why no longer available?

I want to reiterate, that the import/export inspection program is a revenue/profit center operated on a user fee basis and there was no need to scuttle it under the guise of "sequestration" We pay for it!

I am asking you to have a Senator or Representative contact the Dept. of the Interior for an explanation as to why they canceled a fee-for-service program/profit center, and to request a reversal of the USFWS decision so mine and other business like mine will not be impacted.

I will follow this e-mail up with a phone call to you in case you need further explanation.

sincerely,
Kamuran Tepedelen
Bushmaster Reptiles Inc

Last edited:
Sanity has returned!

Sanity has returned!

USFWS, realizing that the import/export program is a User Fee based program under which they generate significant funds from overtime activities, published a Notice dated March 15, 2013 "Effective immediately, the Service wildlife inspection offices will be authorized to perform overtime inspections when personnel are available to do so." The Notice noted that personnel cutbacks/hiring freeze may impact port activities.

Please suspend contacting your Congressional delegations and the USFWS. A number of USFWS port inspectors were instrumental in convincing Washington to alter its position. A special thanks to inspectors in Los Angeles, New York and Florida. Thanks to those who provided PIJAC data on your reliance on USFWS overtime services. That data helped us in discussing this matter with pertinent USFWS and Congressional contacts. PIJAC will continue to monitor developments.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact PIJAC.

Marshall Meyers
Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council (PIJAC)
1140 19th Street NW
Washington, DC 20036
Tel 202-452-1525
Cell 202-256-6726
Marshall@pijac.org

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com

Back