Getting a big tank. How the heck do you guys move them???

ghostman

I'm getting a 200+ gallon tank in the near future, and the only thing that really is concerning me is moving it into the home. How do you guys move these things in? Lots of people? Should I buy those suction cup holders? Is there anything to do to make this easier??? Thanks.

200 ish gallons won't be too bad.. After 380 the options become more difficult..... Take your time go slow, drink after!

Ask your lfs if they use anyone to deliver large tanks. I just had a 315g tank delivered into my basement. It was the best $500 I have spent.

I moved my brand new 435 gallon by myself using a pallet jack from the manufacturer to my garage and ask few friends to help me put it on a stand few days later.then I moved the stand and aquarium to its Current location with a lots of tie downs , jacks and furniture dolly with the help of my 116 lbs wife.

a big truck helps.....

picture.php
[/IMG]

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1HP5rEE5oCQ?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1HP5rEE5oCQ?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Maik1

When my 600g tank was delivered I had it put on piano dollies so that I could roll it around. I installed the tank myself by using two floor jacks and slowly lifting the 998 lb tank up to the stand height. The hardest part was pushing it onto the stand... took me about 4 or 5 hrs from start to finish.

Thanks everyone for the photos, videos, and advice. It has reassured me that the experience is going to be every bit as difficult and dreadful as I thought it would be:) After a few recent surgeries on my hand, I am not in any position to be handling this myself, and will start looking for a local service to handle the job. I'd rather part with a few benjamins to save my back...

Me and 8 of my friends took my 360g tank into my basement and up on my four foot stand in 15 min or less just call a lot of ppl right before u move it. Dont tell them ahead of time cuz they won't show up :) and don't tell them how big it is till they get there.

Me and 8 of my friends took my 360g tank into my basement and up on my four foot stand in 15 min or less just call a lot of ppl right before u move it. Dont tell them ahead of time cuz they won't show up :) and don't tell them how big it is till they get there.

That aboy! thats the best way to do it. I save my moves for after a ball game... guys wanna come over for a beer! they kinda giggle and then say ''OK'' after they figure out what my plan is. GET IN THERE AND LIFT YOU #@%^.

I've set (3) 600-800g tanks, and I use a pair of motorcycle jacks, a pair of hydraulic lift tables, and (4) furniture dollies to wheel the tanks around on their original pallets. I also use several 8" suction cups to shift them into position.

We never actually lift anything, other than when sliding the tank & pallet off of a trailor and onto the (4) dollies. After that's done, all lifting is done via the jacks & lift tables. Then we simply push & pull the tank into place once the tables are at the desired height.

WORK SMART, NOT HARD!

-Tim

In some cases with corners stairs and door ways there is no room to get cute but i here what your saying.

For my 260g tank I used professional movers. The truck that dropped the tank off used a pallet jack to move the tank into my garage. From there the pro's used 3 young guys and a hand cart used to move appliances to bring the tank into my living room. Then the 4 of us lifted it onto the stand.

It took about 2 hours total to get it into the final position, but part of that was my fault since the holes I had cut in the plywood that the tank wold sit on didn't quite match up with the bulkhead holes in the glass, so I had to recut. As far as moving the tank, those last 1/4 inches are the toughest.

Hire professionals, and make sure they KNOW what they're moving, how much it weighs, and have experience moving such things. (Glass, in particular.) They'll figure out the best way to go about it.

For gripping, there are these suction-cups-with-handles things - they create the suction by twisting something on them that forces the suction cup flat and grip very tightly without harming the glass.

Not having to have humans do the lifting is better yet.

Back