Getting bored with frags?

Status
Not open for further replies.
3/11/2009 -
I HAD A VERY BAD ICH OUTBREAK THAT KILLED MY 6" ACHILLES, POWDER BLUE, COPPERBAND, BI COLORED,BABY FRENCH, AND SEVERAL CORALS BECAUSE I WAS DUMB AND TRIED USING REEF SAFE ICH MED. FROM FISH VET(NO ICH) WAIST OF MONEY AND COST ME HUNDREDS IN FISH AND CORALS... ALL FISH THAT MADE IT ARE IN QT'S AND I AM LETTING MY DT BE FISHLESS FOR EIGHT WEEKS...
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1595823&perpage=25&pagenumber=3

Guess Im confused? Sorry

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14770308#post14770308 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EleganceMan
UMM....NO...AND NO!

Umm yeah, here is your thread

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1595823&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

It gets pretty sad half way through.

You are going way to fast, adding huge SPS corals to your display when your params aren't right, especially for such large demanding corals will only result in wasted money (which you don't seem to have a problem with) and dead corals (again you don't seem to have a problem with). You will be much happier (and your tank/livestock will be too) if you just take it slow. You have been given great advice by a lot of people, but refuse to take it? I just don't get it, I am not trying to bash you or be one of those guys that threatens anyone, but I don't get why your so stubborn on great advice you've been given, and why you want to have a totm tank in your first few months of reefing/this tank?

I am not trying to "call out" anyone. I just don't like to see people throw money at their tanks, disregard great advice, wonder why their tank isn't doing that great or "full" looking, and then deny it? Like previously said, if your going to get 10" SPS corals, they are coming from the wild mostlikely and that is killing our reefs! Grow out tank raised frags! If you want a real reef, go scuba diving while we still have some left! I just hate seeing all these beautiful animals die and just replaced like nothing, very sad.

lol.....if you call that a disaster....then yes...but i wouldnt consider it a disaster.... a "rookie" mistake more like.... not QTing all the fish.

I agree with you 99.99%

All I'm commenting on is that someone asked if he'd had a major disaster in the last few months, he said that he had not, and then evidence of his own posts about it was produced showing that he indeed did.

Personally, if I had grown out a nice large colony of _________, I would not want to sell it to him regardless fo the price. Well, maybe if it was a bajillion dollars or something, I'd sell out. But to put the "love" into a piece you want to it to go somewhere where you have a reasonable idea that it will prosper. I wouldn't sell one to him b/c I'd have a reasonable idea that it would die within a few months.

Sorry EleganceMan, that is just the way I feel. I read through the first 6-7 pages of your other thread and that is just the way it seems.

yeah ok.....your right ...i think i am going to contact someone over seas, pay them to just go rip out some huge corals, ship them to me and if they die i will just do it again.....you know why.....cause i like to through money at my tanks ....and because i can!!!! Morons.....
For anyone quoting this....I am not being serious....just making a point.

It's certainly understandable that someone relatively new to the hobby would want to have a more mature looking display as quickly as possible, especially after seeing the many photographs on this website. In the long run, you'll get a lot more satisfaction after growing the colonies from frags. I know that it can be challenging to have the amount of patience that will take, but you'll learn a lot more along the way.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14770293#post14770293 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EleganceMan
you guys are so right about it being better to grow them from frags....but i do want one large coral for show piece.
like this one.....want to sell..

Nope, I am not going to sell it. But of the joy of this hobby (( to me at least )) is watching a frag grow, and knowing that my care is what allowed to to grow that large. If (( and that is a HUGE if )) I ever sell it I am going to be very picky about who I would sell it too. I would want to make sure that it is going to be cared for properly and will continue to thrive, and has the same passion that I do.

I don't totaly disagree with buying a few bigger frags at first. But by at first I mean well over 1 year since the tank has been established. I did buy a large stylophora like I said before, would I do it again? Probably not, but thats just because I like the aspect of growing them myself. I really enjoy watching corals grow. I like to look at some pictures a month or 2 apart and really see the growth.

Having said that buying a 10" SPS colony when you are fesh in the hobby is not a good idea IMO. Maybe a 3-4" colony. You can find 3-4" aqauculterd colonies easy enough. And with proper care it will be 10" before you know it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14770661#post14770661 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EleganceMan
lol.....if you call that a disaster....then yes...but i wouldnt consider it a disaster.... a "rookie" mistake more like.... not QTing all the fish.

YOUR ROCK IS GREEN........something is not right with your tank. SLOW down take the advice that is handed to you out of our own trail and errors and let things adjust before you add anything more. I would be willing to bet money on it that if you added a show SPS to your tank right now, it would either DIE or be one of the worst looking SPS. Your tank has the potential if YOU will allow it.

I can see where your coming from because my tank is pretty new also. I doubt you will find any 10 inch SPS corals for under $1500 though. I do think that a big part of the hobby is watching your corals grow. They will grow relatively fast with a stable system. I just went through the joy of watching a riccordia split after having it for 3 days, my 2 month old hammer is growing a second head and many of my SPS have begin to grow and new splits are evident. I would get a 3-4 inch then be patient, especially if your system is unstable...

I just posted on your other thread that the tank is improving nicely, which it is. However, you would be well advised to just keep it going for a while with the frags you already have. See how they do. The tank is probably going to cycle again a bit with that fairly large addition of fish -- not a good situation to bring a large colony into.

maybe once your tank is ready, if you find a colony that you would like to buy you could get a small piece of it and see how well it does before throwing the whole thing in

You said rookie mistake, yet you've been in the hobby since 1990? Doesn't make a lot of sense. If you have the knowledge of 18 years, then you would understand the advice given to you, you wouldn't need it because you would follow it yourself. Also, you'd know, with a little patience, you can have a full blow reef, but not overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back