GFO vs Hi Capicity GFO

OregonReefer

I'm getting ready to pick up some GFO from BRS and I'm wondering what others thoughts are on the Hi Capacity GFO.

Is it worth twice the price of the regular GFO?

I have been contemplating the same thing. If the HC GFO really does take out twice as much, it's cheaper per pound per unit of phosphate than the regular capacity stuff...

Josh

I use the HC because:

It's denser,presumably with a denser matrix and more surface area but I don't kn ow that for certain. One gallon of it is about 7lbs vs regular at 4lbs.

It has little dust.

It does not grind up in a reactor very much.

It tolerates the regeneration process very well without disintegrating.

I just purchased BRS standard GFO, it seems effective however it's small grain size and light weight requires me to reduce the flow through my in series dual phosban 150 down to a trickle. I think being able have more flow alone would increase its effectiveness not only allow me to have increased phosphate reducing capacity in less volume. I wish now that I had purchase the HC GFO. Lesson Learned.

120 gallon mixed reef, 55, 36, and 10g Planted, 29g African rift lake chiclids..

I use the HC because:

It's denser,presumably with a denser matrix and more surface area but I don't kn ow that for certain. One gallon of it is about 7lbs vs regular at 4lbs.

It has little dust.

It does not grind up in a reactor very much.

It tolerates the regeneration process very well without disintegrating.

I'm about to start running GFO and am super interested in this regeneration.

I read the article linked. From BRS' calculator I need a cup of the HC GFO. How much in terms of mL would that correspond to? Or weight? The regeneration article gave the steps for regenerating 500 mL of GFO. BRS sells it by weight.

Back