Giant bubble like growth on huge healthy BTA. What on earth is it?

slief

RC Sponsor
Premium Member
I've got a couple RBTA's in my tank. One of which is huge at over 2' across. Over the last month or two, I've noticed a large bubble like growth on one side of it that seems to be growing. Almost like it's sprouting off a new anemone. I've had BTA's split and this is nothing like any splitting that I've ever seen. The bubble is almost baseball sized. I've had this anemone for years and he is obviously very healthy. I'm just not sure what to make of this bubble like growth as I have never seen anything like this with any anemone that I have had in the last 18 or so years. My water quality is pristine so I'm sure that has nothing to do with it.

Could it be splitting off another anemone? It looks like it will eventually detach from the anemone. Anybody ever see anything like this or have an explanation?

You can see it on the left side of these two pictures.
image_zpse450b5a6.jpg

image_zpsbdfde230.jpg

A couple close ups.
image_zps7599e970.jpg

image_zpsefcd7841.jpg

image_zpsf1dc50a6.jpg

Dude, that's weird! Looks like air inside its innards, never seen that before

I don't think it's air but I suppose it could be. Like you, I've never seen anything like it which was the basis for my post. What could it possibly be?

I will add that where bubble meets the body of the nem is very thin. It's almost like one of the bubble tips/tentacles exploded in size as the area where the bubble connects to the anemones body is about as thin in diameter as one of the tentacles. It's as though this bubble like growth is hanging from a thread like a ballon on a string.

I got the same thing with my Elegance. One of the tentacle just bubble up to about 2 cm bubble. I am not sure why. He was like this for the last 6 months at least. He is healthy and growing well like your BTA.

if the anemone seems happy and healthy and isnt behaving abnormally i wouldnt worry. id still keep an eye on it to see what happens. amazing nem by the way!

I got the same thing with my Elegance. One of the tentacle just bubble up to about 2 cm bubble. I am not sure why. He was like this for the last 6 months at least. He is healthy and growing well like your BTA.
Interesting.

if the anemone seems happy and healthy and isnt behaving abnormally i wouldnt worry. id still keep an eye on it to see what happens. amazing nem by the way!

Wasn't really worrying about it. Just a bit mystified. That said, I corresponded with Dana Riddle yesterday and from looking at some pictures of it, he is thinking what I was thinking. It's probably budding off a new anemone. Different than splitting obviously but same end result. Time will tell and I will certainly keep an eye on it and update if and when anything happens.

Back