Giesemann Megachrome SE 400W 17500k/w PFO 400 HQI Ballast

kalgra

So I'm trying to see if anyone is running this bulb/ballast combo and what their thoughts are regarding color, growth, and over all bulb life.

I tried a search but didnt find much.

To be mores specific since PFO no longer exists I'm most interested in how this bulb performs on a 430W HPS ANSI(S145 - S51) ballast as that is actually what the older so called "400W HQI" from PFO was using.

I have 8 of these ballasts and really dont want to switch from them but since Radium changed their 250/400W SE bulb design back in 2010 I have had issues with about 1 in 3 blowing up after about 2-3 weeks of use. To say the least that's always a real kick in the nuts!

I got a hold of an older stock of Radium bulbs manufactured before the 2010 change and they definitely dont have this issue. I also confirmed this with Radium. So before you recommend the 20,000K Radium please keep in mind this is why I'm looking to switch. :lol2:

I have read several reviews regarding the Giesemann Megachrome SE 400W 17500k and so called "PFO HQI" combos which says they not only like it much better than the Radium but that the bulb lasts twice as long and the ballasts run cooler as well. I'm not sure what to think of these comments and don't necessarily trust the source so I am looking for some experience here. I have also emailed Giesmann but have not gotten a response yet,

Can anyone here chime in on this?

Obviously not of lot out there with this combo.

How about any experience with either the 400W 17500K crystal or the 400W 21000k blue?

Anyone using either of these bulbs and how do you like them? Some pics would be nice as well.

Hi mate, I have no experience with that bulb/ballast combo but have just purchased the 250W version of the 17.5K crystal. As far as I'm aware all the Giesemann bulbs are HQI and meant to be run at that spec. I know people have complained of the bulb being yellow but that's when it's run under and not on a HQI ballast or HQI setting. In my case I've got the 17.5k crystal bulb running on a Giesemann HQI magnetic ballast and its crisp white.
So with that logic I think the 400W on your PFO 400 ballasts will be run correctly.
Sorry I have no info on how the bulb effects color and growth as currently it's sitting over an empty tank... lol
They are meant to have a long life span though of around two years but I haven't seen this backed up with any evidence.
Hope I was of some help..

Did you ever end up trying this combo? I am seriously considering doing the exact same thing on my tank and I would be very curious as to your results!

Thanks!

Don

I'm in the same boat! I'm setting up a Marineland 150g cube that I'm looking to run a Giesemann Crystal 17.5k 400w over as I was "informed" that it is awesome for SPS growth. I have a dual 400w PFO HQI Ballast that has been sitting in the basement for ages that will be put to use again. I was thinking about a 20k Radium but I heard the Giesemann is better. Unfortunately, while the Giesemann's sell well I've only found a few tank pics on Google :(

I broke down and did it!

All driven with PFO 400w HQI

Left - 400 Watt Radium in Coralvue Lumen Bright Large

Right - 400 Watt Giesemann Megachrome Crystal 17.5k in Hamilton Cozumel Sun

29deb5a76a4bd7019b480e1f2c6b1413.jpg

2 x 400w Crystal
2 x 54w Blue Plus
2 x 54w Fiji Purple
2 x ReefBrite XHO Blue

7777943cbd483e7ceade001d23ae0062.jpg

iPhone pics don't do it justice. The color is stunning in person. And my corals have colored up like never before under this setup! I was 10x54w T5 previously and this wins hands down, IMHO.

Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great pics Don! I'm sold on the Giesemann. Now to build my canopy...

Jim

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

So I am seriously considering switching back to Radiums with 2 x 54w Fiji Purple, 2 x 54w Blue Plus, and 2 x 48" XHO Actinic Blues. The Giesemann 400w Crystal started burning REALLY pink after a couple months. I was running 4 Blue Plus and 2 XHO at %100 and it was still really purple/pink. The spectrum shift was intense. Gisemann Crystal on the left, Radium on the right.

Back