glass cages .com tank cracked, almost burned down my house. For real.

What does polishing have to do with cracking?

Nothing. Nobody polishes bulkhead holes there is no purpose to this and added cost.

Only thing I could ever see being an issue if the person had no idea what they were doing and chipped the glass when they were drilling.

Could there have been a problem with the stand? A stand that isn't quite flat and planer can cause issues.

Regardless of the cause/reason for the tank failure, I have always tried to not keep my tanks over critical infrastructure like the breaker box ..... just to avoid precisely this kind of thing.

I wish you would of showed pictures of your plumbing and the crack, unless I missed it?

Seems he left those out here..
The messages state that there were pictures provided of that and GC mentioned that the installation,etc.. looked unusual....

But yet.. The pictures weren't here in this story... so...um... yeah...

Ive been in this hobby 30 years now.
The bulk head was hand tightened.
They forgot to drill the tank, so when i got there they rushed it.
The inside of the hole, including the edges had small chips and was not smooth.
The plumbing was stable and was not moving in anyway.

everyone seems a little harsh. Regardless of the cause it is very unfortunate and scary. Luckily your family was alright and your house can be repaired. As enthusiastic hobbyists it is heart breaking to loose a tank and all of its inhabitants! Can you post pictures of the plumbing/bulkhead? Best of luck.

Pic of the tank and the hole would be helpful.

Possible failure mode, just conjecture: connect the bulkhead to an elbow, then a long piece of PVC pipe. The PVC pipe is a long lever whose fulcrum is the bulkhead fitting. Would not take much pull pressure on the end of the PVC to apply a *lot* of force to the hole edges.

Might be best to use barb fittings and vinyl tubing.

Personally for me the fact that you did not include any pictures (so far that I could tell) of the cracked area/plumbing,etc... and included a message stating that the company felt that the plumbing,etc.. was "unusual" has made me skeptical..

I am sorry that this happened to you.. It certainly sucks.. I don't know you from Adam and the first thing that popped into my head was "where are the pics of the crack/plumbing,etc... in the area of the incident" ..

A fish tank is always one failure away from leaking a ton of water somewhere.. Its a risk we all take... And sometimes fit shappens to even the best of us..

Again. Sorry that happened to you..

It's all speculation but mostly likely option 1 below. It's a common problem people over tightening bulkheads.

All these people crying wolf about that company. How many of YOU own their tanks? I personally do, going on 8yrs, and 4 drilled holes. No issues.

I'm sorry to say it...

#1- You over tightened it

OR

#2- You bumped the stand pipe.

I literally just cracked a 30gal last night. Luckily it was an old tank. But after 10+yrs of use on that one, why did it crack sitting on the ground empty. I BARELY backed up into it BARELY bumping it, I hit the bulkhead...BAM giant crack!

I'm glad you didn't lose your entire home. I'm glad you are safe. But, in all honesty, I don't buy the story...glass just doesn't break...

Your home owners insurance should cover the cost.

I actually recently called mine to specifically inquire; They said that the aquarium is treated the same as a water storage tank, and any damage caused from it leaking that wasn't intentional would be covered under warranty. As well, any /equipment/ on the tank is covered. They were very clear and specific to tell me that all wildlife/living creatures within the tank are not covered and would not be replaced, only the equipment and any damage the tank caused to the home.

Pic of the tank and the hole would be helpful.

Possible failure mode, just conjecture: connect the bulkhead to an elbow, then a long piece of PVC pipe. The PVC pipe is a long lever whose fulcrum is the bulkhead fitting. Would not take much pull pressure on the end of the PVC to apply a *lot* of force to the hole edges.

Might be best to use barb fittings and vinyl tubing.

That's how my setup is to reduce vibration. I never thought about the long pvc pipe acting as a lever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just post pic of the plumbing and did you support the plumbing behind the tank?
the hole smooth or not shouldn't cause the cracked.
also, poor planning put a tank over your panel in the basement, we all know spill or leak can happen when comes to a fish tank.

did you support the plumbing behind the tank?

Is that the norm in most instances? I don't have my plumbing supported. I have two bulkheads with....I don't know...maybe a foot and a half of some sort of flex PVC hanging down into my sump.

everyone seems a little harsh.

Perhaps.

However, that is the risk when you post about an equipment failure. All of us in the hobby are in the business of risk mitigation. We want to know WHY something failed so we don't duplicate the process. While the person suffering the loss may be laser focused on the perceived cause, others can step back and view the situation with a non-biased perspective.

Back