Global warming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil prices are high because it is a commodity. Commodities are one true bastion of supply and demand economics. Oil companies that own oil supplies are of course going to make loads of money when the price of those commodities are high, just a a farmer, mining company or cattle rancher would. Opec controling the means of production throws a little salt in the gears, but overall, oil companies making money from selling the raw product are perfectly entitled. It is what the market says it is and they are a business not a charity.

Now, before my consevative brothers say amen, the value added products, such as gasoline and diesel. This is different. Refinery capacity is not being expanded and there seems to be calusion when the price between competing gas stations is exactly the same. Can you say price fixing? Now I'm not sure if this is going on, I am no expert on the oil distribution business, but if it is, then its illegal and the gov'ment needed to crack down.

Oh and Spike, I wasn't asking which department the accounting department will code the transaction, I mean where is the money coming from. The department of energy does not make money. And where will it go? The government does not have a R&D department. And of course, who gets the benefit of the research. Example, if the University of Lost Overshoe has a eureka moment and developes a clean fuel that emits a lavender fragrance and breaks down in orange juice, who gets to market it?

I guess I'm pessimstic, where an optomist would say, lets decide when that moment comes.

Oh, and BTW getting back to the original post, I always do lots of reading from both sides when this topic comes up. Come to find out, the claims that the ice shelf broke off in antartica due to increased global temps was either fraud or total imcompetence. Google it.

Here's a good read. http://icecap.us/images/uploads/Wilkins_Ice_Shelf_con.pdf

Now before you spend lots of time searching for dirt on the author, examine his arguments and his data. As a matter of fact, lets just assume he's a pedophile living in his mom's basement and go directly to the meat of the paper. It is clear if even a minute amount of his data is true, the publishers of the original story jumped to a politically correct conclusion with absolutely no confirmatory data.

Basically, the shelf was only 3 years old based on satallite photos, none of the surrounding ice shelves were affected, and the nearest temperature station hasn't recorded any temperature rise in many years.

and people still wonder why I'm skeptical. Because if its true, you wouldn't need to lie.

Better drop another note for Greenbean. You still continue to defend Mann's graph dispite its being debunked. Since you know science, here's how you can tell an invalid result. When you compare your data to a know value. Otherwise known as a control. We know Manns graph is wrong because we have climatic events of a known quantity.(midevil warm period and the little ice age for example). If those events are not shown on the graph in the amount we know, then the observations are invalid. You may still be right about AHW. But you do not want to hitch your wagon to this graph, Its fraud, distance yourself like the IPCC did.

Mike

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12351167#post12351167 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MCary
Oil prices are high because it is a commodity. Commodities are one true bastion of supply and demand economics. Oil companies that own oil supplies are of course going to make loads of money when the price of those commodities are high, just a a farmer, mining company or cattle rancher would.

Just to be clear, I wasn't attacking the profits made by oil companies. I was simply making the point that energy giants have no reason to invest seriously in alternative energy infrastructure when currently making huge profits using existing infrastructure.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12351167#post12351167 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MCary
Oh and Spike, I wasn't asking which department the accounting department will code the transaction, I mean where is the money coming from. The department of energy does not make money. And where will it go? The government does not have a R&D department. And of course, who gets the benefit of the research. Example, if the University of Lost Overshoe has a eureka moment and developes a clean fuel that emits a lavender fragrance and breaks down in orange juice, who gets to market it?

The money, like the money used on the war, comes from the taxpayers of this country. The only difference is that the money is used domestically, actually benefiting those who paid the taxes.

As far as whether the government has R&D, of course it does! Billions of dollars worth actually. NASA, DARPA, DOE, etc, etc. We are currently using a product of these research institutions here at reefcentral.com by the way.

Who gets to market new technologies resulting from research depends upon who purchases the technology rights to a specific advancement. This process is not new. Check here for more information on the process:

http://www.aau.edu/research/techtrans6.3.98.html

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12347571#post12347571 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by spike78
Sorry, I'll clarify. By overseas, I mean foreign, international, or origination from a country other than the US. The terms are generally considered synonymous.

I'm still unsure as to the point you are trying to make regarding utilizing western hemisphere sources.

Overseas and foreign "generally considered synonymous"??? :lol: By who??? :rolleye1: Pull out a map and you'll see that BOTH Ontario and Playa Del Carmen are NOT overseas.
Oh...wait a second...I forgot about the Gulf of Mexico and the Great Lakes. :love1:

As far as the point of "utilizing western hemisphere sources" I would think it would be a huge plus all the way around if we could cut SAUDI ARABIA, NIGERIA, IRAQ, ANGOLA, KUWAIT, ALGERIA, CONGO, CHAD and RUSSIA out of the picture by utilizing our own resources, don't you?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12352673#post12352673 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by virginiadiver69
Overseas and foreign "generally considered synonymous"??? :lol: By who??? :rolleye1: Pull out a map and you'll see that BOTH Ontario and Playa Del Carmen are NOT overseas.
Oh...wait a second...I forgot about the Gulf of Mexico and the Great Lakes. :love1:

http://freethesaurus.net/s.php?q=overseas&dict=no

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12352673#post12352673 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by virginiadiver69

As far as the point of "utilizing western hemisphere sources" I would think it would be a huge plus all the way around if we could cut SAUDI ARABIA, NIGERIA, IRAQ, ANGOLA, KUWAIT, ALGERIA, CONGO, CHAD and RUSSIA out of the picture by utilizing our own resources, don't you?

Not really. Why is that a plus? Western Hemisphere foreign sources are still foreign sources. I'm still missing the point.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12347201#post12347201 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by billsreef
Actually they are higher than other corps, record breaking high at that. Kind of have my doubts about the growing economy, at least around here. I know quite a few people, myself included, that have been forced to reduce discretionary spending due to huge increases in fuel costs. I also know quite few business that rely on tourism dollars that have seen a decrease in business as result of a decrease in traveling. Not exactly good things for the overall economy.
Bill, Billy, Billy boy...I love ya but ya gotta turn off CNN and put down the NY Times. First off, I was talking about WORLD economy. Even within our own country the economy varies.
As far as "profits" go...let's say My total salary in 2007 was $1,000,000 and after I paid all of my bills I was left with 10%. Is my "profit" 1 Million or $100,000? Now I can brag to all of my friends that I'm a millionaire but that wouldn't be true would it?
Some examples of some other corps 2007 profit compared to ExxonMobil: 10%
Microsoft: 30%
Citigroup: 20%
Harley Davidson: 17%
Altria Group: 15%
So please, let's stop with this "record breaking profits" BS. ;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12352797#post12352797 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by virginiadiver69
Bill, Billy, Billy boy...I love ya but ya gotta turn off CNN and put down the NY Times. First off, I was talking about WORLD economy. Even within our own country the economy varies.
As far as "profits" go...let's say My total salary in 2007 was $1,000,000 and after I paid all of my bills I was left with 10%. Is my "profit" 1 Million or $100,000? Now I can brag to all of my friends that I'm a millionaire but that wouldn't be true would it?
Some examples of some other corps 2007 profit compared to ExxonMobil: 10%
Microsoft: 30%
Citigroup: 20%
Harley Davidson: 17%
Altria Group: 15%
So please, let's stop with this "record breaking profits" BS. ;)

Seriously? A little research may be helpful. A direct quote from the annual report of ExxonMobil:

In 2007 ExxonMobil delivered a record $40.6 billion in net income, with each of our businesses -Upstream, Downstream, and Chemical - achieving record earnings performance.

http://www.exxonmobil.com/corporate/files/news_pub_sar_2007.pdf

Listen spike...you can be dense on purpose if you like. If you want to pretend that words don't have meaning than that's okay.

Go ahead, refer to Mexico as being overseas the next time you're standing at the water cooler talking about who got booted off of "idol" last week, I dare ya. :lol:

Benefits to not having to rely on middle east and African radicals for our oil and using our own...let's see here;
Not being beholden to middle east and African radicals would have to be at the top of the list.
Reduced cost of shipping is a good one.
Less environmental hazard shouldn't be ignored.
I'll try to think of more while I'm cleaning my garage. :rollface:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12352865#post12352865 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by spike78
Seriously? A little research may be helpful. A direct quote from the annual report of ExxonMobil:

In 2007 ExxonMobil delivered a record $40.6 billion in net income, with each of our businesses -Upstream, Downstream, and Chemical - achieving record earnings performance.

http://www.exxonmobil.com/corporate/files/news_pub_sar_2007.pdf

Seriously.
You choose to ignore the fact that they are right in line with most other companies, even earning LESS than some. Let's stop beating this straw dog to death...okay?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12352930#post12352930 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by virginiadiver69
Listen spike...you can be dense on purpose if you like. If you want to pretend that words don't have meaning than that's okay.

Go ahead, refer to Mexico as being overseas the next time you're standing at the water cooler talking about who got booted off of "idol" last week, I dare ya. :lol:

I don't know what else I can do to demonstrate use of the language short of buying you a thesaurus. Either way, I clarified my intended point. The word had no bearing on the point I was making earlier.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12352930#post12352930 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by virginiadiver69

Benefits to not having to rely on middle east and African radicals for our oil and using our own...let's see here;
Not being beholden to middle east and African radicals would have to be at the top of the list.
Reduced cost of shipping is a good one.
Less environmental hazard shouldn't be ignored.
I'll try to think of more while I'm cleaning my garage. :rollface:

I'm all for not buying energy from foreign sources. I've made that point clear. I don't see what the benefit is though of limiting purchases from a terror-supporting state in the middle east while purchasing oil from a terror supporting state in our own backyard. We don't gain anything. As far as the environment is concerned, the worst oil spill in US history is from a domestic transfer.

This thread has gotten off point though. Simply changing source of our oil does not relate to reducing the impact of it's use.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12352965#post12352965 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by virginiadiver69
Seriously.
You choose to ignore the fact that they are right in line with most other companies, even earning LESS than some. Let's stop beating this straw dog to death...okay?

Man, you are ruining this thread. ExxonMobil holds the record for largest annual profit for a US company. By definition this means they didn't earn less than any other US company. Nobody ever said anything about margin, which is what it looks like you were trying to describe earlier. Please do a little research.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/01/news/companies/exxon_earnings/

Whether or not oil company profits were in line with other companies was never the issue anyway. This issue was how to sell huge investments in new infrastructure to shareholders of a company making record profits on existing infrastructure.

Last edited:
Your right, we're ruining the thread. We can disagree on some points that have nothing to do with it.
Let's hear some oppinions on drilling for our own oil and nuclear power.
...and Bill, my last to you was simple sarcasm. No harm.

Oh, and BTW getting back to the original post, I always do lots of reading from both sides when this topic comes up. Come to find out, the claims that the ice shelf broke off in antartica due to increased global temps was either fraud or total imcompetence. Google it.

Here's a good read. http://icecap.us/images/uploads/Wilkins_Ice_Shelf_con.pdf

Now before you spend lots of time searching for dirt on the author, examine his arguments and his data. As a matter of fact, lets just assume he's a pedophile living in his mom's basement and go directly to the meat of the paper. It is clear if even a minute amount of his data is true, the publishers of the original story jumped to a politically correct conclusion with absolutely no confirmatory data.

Basically, the shelf was only 3 years old based on satallite photos, none of the surrounding ice shelves were affected, and the nearest temperature station hasn't recorded any temperature rise in many years.

and people still wonder why I'm skeptical. Because if its true, you wouldn't need to lie.

NASA would seem to have data that disagrees with that ;)

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/NewImages/images.php3?img_id=17838

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Study/WilkinsIceSheet/
Glaciologists estimate that the part of the Wilkins Ice Shelf that formed from sea ice may be 300 to 400 years old, and the part that is fed by glacier flow is older, perhaps up to 1,500 years old.

Now before you spend lots of time searching for dirt on the author, examine his arguments and his data.
The first thing that strikes me is that he's using a station 230 miles away and 130 miles north as proof of what's going on to the south. I'm not sure why anyone would consider that a valid assumption, especially considering one is a fairly exposed site and the other is comparably protected. I have an adviser who does work in that part of Antarctica looking at population connectivity and as part of his work he takes sea temp readings up and down the peninsula. Not surprisingly the temp varies quite a bit depending where you are on the coast and it occurs over much smaller spacial scales. It seems like satellite measurements of the actual area in question would be a much better metric.

My next gripe is about the actual graph of the air temp, particularly the scale of the vertical axis. When you're trying to show changes on the order of fractions of degrees, 5 degree intervals aren't appropriate. Choosing a larger interval is an old trick to obscure a vertical trend. He even says that there isn't a trend when there clearly is one. Notice that for the first few years of the graph the average is consistently below -5, fluctuates around -5 in the middle, then by the end of the graph is consistently above -5. Is it significant? I don't have a clue, but there is definitely an upward trend. You also notice that the summertime temp starts around 0 and is higher than that for most of the record. Robin and Adie (1964) list a summertime temp of 0 as the threshold for Antarctic ice shelf stability. Anything above -2.5 causes significant melting.

The picture series shows 3 years of recession of the ice sheet, not merely 3 years of existence. It took about 5 minutes of searching to find an apparently older picture of the sheet on google earth, a journal article from 1993 predicting the imminent collapse of the ice sheet, an article from 1996 showing measured declines on the Wilkins sheet along with two nearby that were even worse off, plus maps of the area since the 1970s.

This is the statement that above all really solidifies in my mind that the guy is out of touch with reality- "now we can go back to observing falling temperatures and a very poor correlation between temperature and carbon dioxide concentration."

As a side note, how much hubbub was made by the skeptics about the March temps? They went right back up and the 10 yr trend is positive again. Yep, short term trends are variable.

Better drop another note for Greenbean. You still continue to defend Mann's graph dispite its being debunked. Since you know science, here's how you can tell an invalid result. When you compare your data to a know value. Otherwise known as a control. We know Manns graph is wrong because we have climatic events of a known quantity.(midevil warm period and the little ice age for example). If those events are not shown on the graph in the amount we know, then the observations are invalid. You may still be right about AHW. But you do not want to hitch your wagon to this graph, Its fraud, distance yourself like the IPCC did.
Mann's graph was never "debunked" it was corrected and the corrections didn't make a difference to the conclusion. The ARGO float data you keep bringing up were also corrected, so were the the data from the UAH satellite that showed the tropospheric cooling. It's getting repetitive mentioning over and over again that about a dozen other authors have come to the same conclusion by using entirely different methods and datasets.

If you want to use a known value as a control you have to A) know that value and B) know that it's comparable to the data set you want to use it as a control for. The Mann graph was N hemisphere mean temp. There's no evidence that the MWP and LIA were hemisphere-wide events. They aren't valid controls.

Also, the IPCC hasn't distanced itself from the Mann graphs. They've been in every report including the most recent. I've already posted graphs from the most recent report that included the Mann reconstructions.

Last edited:
Okay lets go at it like this: the paper I sited seemed pretty clear and straight forward. So, what is it about the report that the wilkins ice sheet disintregration was due to global warming that make you accept the report. Why do you assume that it is correct, but immediately find fault with the counter opinion?

And seriously, do you think that in an area that hits 70 degrees below zero fractions of a degree make any difference? Hey, here's an experiment, put an ice cube in your freezer at about 0 degrees f. Then turn up the temp to 0.5 degrees f. Tell me how much ice disapears.

I give up about the Mann graph. You obviously have an orthodoxy about this sacred graph. There is no way, even with clear compelling evidence that you will change your mind. Once again, its like arguing with Monty Python's Black Knight.

Mike

Thirty years ago during the 70's the science was warning of the coming ice ander now its global warming, my oppinion is they just need some sensacional hypothesis to keep up funding.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12355210#post12355210 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MCary
Okay lets go at it like this: the paper I sited seemed pretty clear and straight forward. So, what is it about the report that the wilkins ice sheet disintregration was due to global warming that make you accept the report. Why do you assume that it is correct, but immediately find fault with the counter opinion?

Let's see, the paper you cited countered warming temperature trends base on 1, yes only 1 station a considerable distance away from the area being discussed. Basic statistics, N=1 is simply meaningless. You need more data acquisition to give you statistically valid trends, and you need that data to be acquired in the area in question. Now the really big flaw, that paper claims the Wilkens ice shelf is only 3 years old, when we know that the sea ice portions of the shelf are several hundred years old and the fresh water glacier fed portion is well over a thousand years old. With such large and obvious flaws, it's impossible to justify his conclusions.

So what about the photograph from 3 years ago that show the area of colapse to be open sea? Photoshop? Who you going to believe, those credible scientists or your lying eyes?

There seems to be a common thread with all opinions that I read. (I especially like www.climatedebatedaily.com) You have one guy, the skeptic holding a thermometer, and another guy, the GW preacher, telling him why the thermometer was wrong due to some obscure explanation that defies logic, math and physics.

What I don't understand about you Bill, and greenbean too, is that according to your avatars, your both scientists. The duty of a scientist is to try to break down theories, not build defenses around them.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back