Gloves?

Until one day I looked down at my hands after moving some coral around. It was as if I did not have any fingerprints anymore, smooth as silk.

Well I would hope you immediately ran out and robbed a bank :)

That's weird though...did they come back quickly, was it maybe just waterlogged skin?

I still would have gotten caught, my luck. No, they weren't waterlogged. The released chemicals from the coral/s I had moved, literally etched the prints virtually off my skin. It took about a month to get a good set of prints back. Just imagine what would happen to me if I didn't wash my hands and ate a burger or something. ALWAYS wash your hands after being in the tank, even with gloves. Bacteria might be small but it can still kick your butt. Not to mention the toxins from the corals. Yea, it was kind of weird. Kool but weird and don't want to repeat it.

I am also looking to order some gloves after learning the hard way. Currently on antibiotics and going in for hand surgery tomorrow to remove what I believe is a piece of vermetid snail or feather duster that broke off in my thumb when I was aquascaping last week.

I am also looking to order some gloves after learning the hard way. Currently on antibiotics and going in for hand surgery tomorrow to remove what I believe is a piece of vermetid snail or feather duster that broke off in my thumb when I was aquascaping last week.

***. That sounds brutal, did it get infected? Get the nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight, I got my pair for like 6 bucks, sucks to pick up small stuff with though.

Have the aqua gloves and really don't like them much. They are too thick on the hand and I always seem to go past the armpit and fill them up. I use Hospital latex gloves I get "free" from work. I tape the wrist and no water inside.
Sometimes double them up too.

Have the aqua gloves and really don't like them much. They are too thick on the hand and I always seem to go past the armpit and fill them up. I use Hospital latex gloves I get "free" from work. I tape the wrist and no water inside.

I also use latex gloves. I just buy them in bulk. I don't use gloves unless I'm moving live rock or fragging corals - particularly zoas and palys. I don't use them when fragging SPS unless I'm doing a lot of cutting. I just rinse the gloves after I put them on and use a rubber band to seal the end. They'll tear occasionally but I like the sensitivity it provides over heavier gloves.

***. That sounds brutal, did it get infected? Get the nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight, I got my pair for like 6 bucks, sucks to pick up small stuff with though.

Yeah, my thumb swelled up and I could barely bend it. Just got back from the doctor. Isn't a pleasant experience having someone dig around in your finger. Ordered the harbor freight gloves for any future rock work.

Yes...where gloves. I have been stabbed by all sorts of things in the past and lucked out.

Save the money and get these....they are great:

http://www.harborfreight.com/oil-resistant-pvc-long-cuff-gloves-99677.html

Love the comments on these gloves.

"I tried the nitrile gloves. They easily split and only go to your wrist. When you're gutting a deer and digging in up to your elbows, these work great. Just rinse 'em off when done and re-use. I'm going to buy a couple more pair for backup."

I use sea grip gloves. better than nothing I always say. Nothing can cut me wearing those gloves. I wear them especially when I disturb the clown.

I thought about this, then I figured it would be a waste of time as your still dipping your arm into the tank, although it would help protect your hands and finger's I guess.

I've decided to let my wife do the maintenance on the tank. She loves it, but I laugh out loud when she says " damn my arms are soaking wet" lol.

I bought the red/blue Coralife gloves. Good quality IMO but not sensitive enough to handle frags, brushes etc. but OK for moving rocks for example.

I now use them for jobs on my property like cleaning out drainage pipes or other places where I can't see exactly what's "in there." They did repel a snakebite however while pulling leaves from a drainage pipe so I'm not regretting the purchase.

Back