Going to New Zealand and Australia....any one down there?

EnderG60

Plumbing Engineer
OK so I just got accepted into a study abroad progam and will be in Wellington New Zealand from Jan 5th through Feb 16th. In Sydney Australia Feb 16th through March 11th, and in Brisbane Australia from March 11th through April 1st.

Im so excited its not even funny, but I was wondering if there is anyone in the area of those locations that would mind showing me around and to some good dive sites. I would be happy to compensate you for your time, and I have my advanced certification in NAUI, and have all my own equipment aside from a tank(including a underwater camera) and Ive already logged close to 200 dives.

I will have every friday saturday and sunday to do whatever I want, and I want to spend as much time diving as possible.

So lay it on me..I want to do and see as much as possible on this trip!

I lived in sydney up until the start of this year, when i moved to Townsville (on the GBR) to do Marine Biology, so i can give you a few tips.
In Sydney; Try Deep 6 Diving in Clovelly. They have a good set up, and do many shore and boat dives. You can tag along with the shore dives for a nominal fee, and they go every weekend. If you are feeling adventurous, ask around to see who is going out to Magic Point (off Maroubra) to see the grey nurse sharks. Pro Dive also do boat dives, but the last time i was there, they had changed hands and the new owner will rip you off every time. Sydney Harbour is, believe it or not, a great place to dive and really, really clean these days. Looking up through the water during a night dive in the harbour and watching the lights on the opera house and harbour bridge are quite something.

As far as Brisbane goes, i recon taking a short flight (about 1 hour) up to Townsville for a day or two is well worth the money. The flights are getting seriously cheap these days, and there are heaps of places for travelling divers to stay. I can fully recomend going out to see the S.S Yongala wreck (rated in the top 5 in the world), having been there a number of times, it really is that good. (just watch out for VW the resident Giant Queensland Grouper, who is the size of a car and likes to stalk divers) Trips to the Yongala are about $160 for a 2 dive day, but you can do a liveaboard trip (friday night to sunday afternoon) that includes 3 dives on the outer reefs, 1 night dive on the reef, and 2 Yongala dives for around $400. There will be diving around Brisbane, but it won't be anywhere near the quality of the GBR. Magnetic island, off Townsville is the cheapest and most easily accessed island on the reef, there is a ferry every 30 minuted from Townsville for about $15-$20, and there are some really good beaches and fringing reef. Just be aware of Box jellyfish (marine stingers) during the wet season, which means you cannot really go swimming except for on the reef. Try Arthur Bay at Magnetic island, and i recommend you hire on the of the mini mokes to get around the island.
I think that gives a fair outline, feel free to quiz me more in depth if you need.

man thats the kind of stuff im looking for!!

Id like to keep everything as cheap as possible(because hey im a student) but im not going to pass up anything like a top 5 dive site!!

that live on boat thing sounds like a smoken deal.

like i said every weekend will be a 3 day weekend, so jumping a flight to do that kind of stay on boat diving two or three times would more then cover my needs for the austrailia half!

if you have ANY other info on fun things to do or places to go please tell me. I dont want to have a minute of spare time down there:D

oh and is diving going to be good for the timeframe ill be there? any places to avoid?

Last edited:
edr42, sent you a pm. I'll be attending JCU to study marine bio in feb through June, it'd be nice to meet a fellow marine biologist who'd like to do some diving.
Aaron

my computer died recently, hence the delay, but keep looking around for the best deals and let me know when you arrive in Australia.

You did not say what you are going to study abroad. The reason I comment is that the University of Queensland, in Brisbane has a research station on Heron Island (on the great barrier reef). (I did a masters degree out there). If you can arrange it - through the university, you could stay on the Island for a very nominal charge. It is awsome. http://www.marine.uq.edu.au/hirs/
The train runs from Brisbane to Gladstone, then a 5 hour boat trip, but well worth it.

YOu could also go as a torist - but is is a lot of money http://www.heronisland.com/

says its study abroad in the first sentence:p

Now thats what im talking about!!

yeah ill have to look into it, though im not sure if it will be possible since we are required to attend class's monday through thurday...but hey its worth a shot :)

JCU (James Cook Uni) in Townsville also uses Heron Island, and has Orpheus Island as well as a research station. You can visit either of them through the uni. Both are serious trips though, and require money and time, but Heron island is worth it if you have the time.

well its only 24 hours till i catch the first leg of my trip, should be in Wellington in something like oh 28 hours of flying later:hmm3:

if you get the chance go up to the bay of islands, north island NZ - caravali isles and dive the rainbow warrior - 35-27m dive on the old greenpeace ship, blown up by french government spies - google it for more info..

Poor knights are supposed to be the best in NZ.

in Aust ive only dived on the outer barrier reef off cairns - mates have told me the townsville diving isnt worth shouting about, ive heard they just sunk a battleship around there though entirely for scuba purposes. One day i fancy taking a trip to the northern barrier reef, towards cape york/PNG - supposed to be INCREDIBLE! apparently the reefs are right on the edge of the conti shelf with 1000m vertical walls and BIG pelagics

holy crap jetlag sucks. 15 hours ahead and one day in the future really screws with your system.

wellington is simply spectacular and the view out of my dorm is to die for.

my instructor also told me cairns is a better dive spot then townsville but i might just hit up both.

and i am so going to see the sucken green peace ship just as a matter of principle!

Cairns is good in places but it is also a huge tourist trap. Townsville is more directed towards serious and experienced divers, not clueless backpackers, plus it also has the SS Yongala wreck. If you do end up in Cairns, make sure you find an outfit that has a professional set up, and runs small dive groups.
New Zealand is nice, but the rainbow warrior will be COLD! Still, it would be a very interesting dive.

I was actually looking at heading a bit further north of cairns, but my mind is not set. Wrecks are nice but im way more interested in seeing reefs and wildlife. And hey im here for 6 weeks and i dont mind catching two flights. We were planning on hitting townsville from syney and then some place north of cairns from brisbane, but like i said nothing is set in stone yet.

and yeah i know the water here is cold...it will suck but thats what wet suits are for!

and ive developed a taste for small well run outfits, i dont like large groups at all and much prefer a small group lead by someone who knows where all the cool stuff is so i can concentrate on taking pictures.

the rainbow warrior will be one of the warmer dives in NZ, it was probably one of my fav dives ive done. drift diving down the waikato river in taupo is also quite cool

NOW ya tel me. We just booked out trip this weekend and out last stop on the way back is taupo to sky dive, and there is no time left!

We are supposed to be giong back there for part of the geology class in two weeks so ill have to see if i can do it then.

and after looking at the costs im considering not doing the north NZ diving and just heading right up to figi instead....its just right there!

man its way to easy to spend money on this crap:eek1:

When you're in Sydney look up Dive 2000. There is a ton of shady operators in Sydney, but Dive 2000 is the best group of people I've found in (only) 8 years of diving. Kev shoots for companies like National Geographic and runs some awesome trips. Some of their instructors are PADI Course Directors, putting them on the top of the food chain and the cutting edge of safe diving.

I'd steer clear of operations like Dive Center Manly, ProDive etc.

If you get a chance, go down to Jervis Bay down near Wollongong. The bay has an amazing mix of temperate and tropical life. Oceantrek Liveaboards is the way to go if you do this trip. Mick and Lynn are a husband and wife team who run the ship. Lynn is also a CD, great people and some great diving.

I can vouch for Jervis Bay, as i practically grew up there. Oceantrek are a good setup, and Deep6diving do weekend trips from sydney down to Jervis Bay as well.

Back