Good LFS West Valley / Central PHX?

Wow. So It was really that good, huh? One of his "customers"? I have a hard time believing that, but I'd have to meet the guy myself to be able to tell if he was BSing or not. I think I may stop by later this week. If you don't mind my asking, how was his inventory compared to other stores in town. Like, what did he have and how was the pricing?

the inventory was honestly not that great. he said he holds back unique items or with a lot of color. he said the best days to stop by are thursdays, i think he said he gets stuff in wed afternoon. prices were fair compared to RC/AT. He has a label on each tank with a price. He told me if I wanted something in particular he would hold it back when he got stuff in. He had a long blue ribbon eel and a white and red starwish that were really cool.

What do you mean not that great? I'm debating making the drive, and if its honestly not that great inventory wise, I'm not going to waste the gas.

Here is the frag I got from Reef Industries. The colors are SOO cool.

4bab5647-995f-37e5.jpg
That Tubastrea needs a lot more food. It is showing signs of stress from lack of nourishment. start feeding small particles twice a day and it should recover. Keep it out of light.

What do you mean not that great? I'm debating making the drive, and if its honestly not that great inventory wise, I'm not going to waste the gas.

I would not call this a LFS, he is a wholesaler and holds back some of what he gets so what he has varies week to week. dww1188 has been a few times, he might have better insight. He told me the best day to go was thursdays.

Im not here to try and persuade people one way or another.All im sayin is instead of making such a fuss over something stupid. go check it out and form your own opinion. im sure we can all come up with something bad to say with every LFS in phoenix. The only thing i can speak for is my own opinions and views. I PERSONALLY have no problems with Reef industries. The owner has done nothing but help me, Im relatively new to the hobby. I have LOTS of questions, Ive gone into aquatouch and been ignored same with pets inc, or even better i wanted a pair of black clowns they had there, and the guy said he would get someone to help me. i waited 20 minutes and no one came to help.... as i stated above im not here to preach or praise, but i personally have nothing bad to say about reef industries. it may not be your typical fish LFS but it is BY FAR the CLEANEST tanks ive seen in any kind of LFS in Phoenix.

As far as the hostility towards the place, its a matter of opinion really. Regardless of how nice, or clean the setup is, how nice the people are, or how great the livestock is there are people such as my self who choose not to support institutions such as this one. Making a living running a LFS is hard enough, then you throw in people who are specifically cutting them out of the loop it makes things even more difficult for this essential part of our hobby. For whatever reason these "businesses" (the one frequently advertised on CL was frequently referred to a while back as well) seem to get shoved down our throat more than the actual stores in our valley. I understand many are just sharing a good experience, but like a previous poster said it continues to be brought up. Some are just a little tired of it.

I personally try to support the LFS as much as I can. I understand wanting to save a buck, but realize the LFS is an essential part of our hobby. They bring new people into the hobby and are pretty much always there when you need them. If everyone decided to cut them out of the loop by going straight to wholesalers they would no longer exist, then we would be forced to always buy livestock/supplies online, or buying them from these businesses run out of a garage or storage space at their convenience instead of our own.

For those who complain about the stores in the valley I am stumped, the location factor is the only one I really understand. Short of that the group I have seen here is top notch and far better than the stores I have had in the past in other locations.

Everyone has the right to spend their money wherever they want, I am not telling anyone where to spend theirs. Just wanted to make sure the point of view many take towards this kind of store is properly understood. It's not an irrational/unfounded view. If you think the LFS contains no value to our hobby, thats your decision.

FWIW The prices being lower at the wholesaler compared to a local retailer shouldn't come as a surprise. Wholesalers should always be cheaper than retailers, thats the whole point. What should come as a surprise is that someone who claims to be a wholesaler is selling to the general public. This is pretty uncommon from my understanding.

This horse has been beat to death, for those of you who are new to the hobby I just wanted to explain the issue as I have come to know it.

Anyways, lets get back to Reefing!

Well said. In fact, so well said I am going to unsubscribe this thread and take your advice and go back to reefing!

I mean this with as little offense to our new found reefing friends. So please guys if your new to the hobby or the area don't take this to heart as I value each and every one of our reefing community here. But why is it that the only people posting in this thread that have actually "visited" this "store" "warehouse" whatever have less than 50 posts? I am not trying at all to offend and those of you that know me know that's the last thing I would ever do but seriously. This gorilla marketing is getting old and I'm not having any more conversations about it until somebody I actually know goes to this store and confirms it's actually what some of you say it is. It's stupid to carry on conversation after conversation about this place and the end result is always the same. They have salted the earth that many of us established reefers walk and may not ever earn business with some of the valley's most seasoned (see what I did there) hobbyists do to the simple fact that they attempted to dupe some of us into visiting there so called storefront by means of lame tactics and attempting to get free marketing by joining a local forum.

If they really mean business and they are selling to our local stores that many of us frequent on a weekly basis than they wouldn't sell to individuals and take away business from our community stores that actually EARN our business the old fashioned way. Since they are trying to be a wholesaler than why would they take away money from the people that are buying their products???? That makes absolutely no sense what so ever.

im not tryin to push one way or other. there is good and bad with every store you go in. i was just simply stating that maybe some judgemental people who have never been there, should step foot into the "warehouse" before they complain about it. I personally go where customer service is good, and the fish are healthy. price is a minimal concern if the item (fish,coral,invert. etc) is healthy looking and active, Thats my biggest priority. so be it a wholesaler or what have you. I see where it can hurt the LFS in the area, But when the LFS bring it upon themselves, with a poor excuse of customer service. Ill go elsewhere. I may be a "noobie" to this hobby but i refuse to be ignored or pushed over when i go in somewhere and then give my business......

some judgemental people who have never been there, should step foot into the "warehouse" before they complain about it.

We don't need two new members (which there sole purpose is to praise the store ) to praise the store for business ( If you check all the others. After the plan backfires, they never return) If the store is good, it will be noted, more customers will go, but this is kind of false advertising is never good:

Bill: hey any one know of a good store

(10 min later, new acct)

Bob: Oh why yes, this store ______ top notch best in AZ

(20 Minutes later, new acct)

Billy: I second that, best store EVER!

you can put it however you want it. i could care less. the sole reason of this post was a guy asking for a good LFS in the west valley. i put in my 2 cents.

you can put it however you want it. i could care less. the sole reason of this post was a guy asking for a good LFS in the west valley. i put in my 2 cents.

Chill out bud, If its truly a good store, that would be awesome for our fellow reefers in that area. Just saying, time and time again these "customers" of those stores come, give a thumbs up to that store and you never see them again. That strays new customers away.

Thank you for caring. I think what you were trying to say is I couldn't care less.

I am just confused as to what the place is trying to be. Are they trying to be a store? are they trying to be a wholesaler? I don't get it. If they are trying to be a store than be a store and get a storefront. If they are trying to be a wholesaler than do that. I just don't think it's a smart business decision to sell product to your clients customers. It's like biting the hand that feeds you. As a former small business partner I would drop that supplier like a bad habit if they were selling under the table to my potential customers. It's not my business so I won't tell them how to run it. For those that have purchased from them and you had a good experience, more power to you. That's all that matters sometimes. Just don't expect them to be around to long if they continue doing what they are doing.

I think that a few of us should 'arrange an appointment' and try to go as a small group. Then maybe we can all find this place and have a few opinions all at once. I like going to new places and seeing how it works/what they have. I may never go again because its not up to my standards, but always work the trip to me.

I agree to that its prob. not good buisness to double dip and sell to stores and direct though.

Back