Great Barrier Reef WARNING LOTS OF PHOTOS!

Alright,
Heres some more from the same area:

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

Can anyone get a positive ID on this wrasse? The closest i can find is a checkerboard wrasse.

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0232.jpg

There are more on their way.........

Yet More Photos:

IMG_0255.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg

Anyone got an ID on this fish? It doesn't seem to fit any description, all i can think of is a juvenile/intermediate phase napolean wrasse.

IMG_0275.jpg

This guy was pecking at my mask and trying to force me out of his territory! Feisty little devil.

There are plenty more if people want to see them!
Just let me know.

Thank you for adding more to the thread. I've been telling everyone about your images - hope you don't mind. :)

lets see more .....I wish I was there right now with you , but I have to live in Chicago with the great weather .........

Ok, due to popular demand, i will post some more photos.
There are also some movies here, and if you click on the link, it should take you to the photobucket website where you can play the movie.
Enjoy, and let me know if more are wanted, i have thousands of them!

IMG_0277.jpg

IMG_0278.jpg

IMG_0279.jpg

IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0287.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

Edr42, I can honestly say those are some of the most beautiful reef photos I've ever seen- Thanks so much :)

Hope you won't mind an off topic question: do wallabies wander around the streets there? I ran across some photos for Townsville (in my quest to determine if Townsville needs me to move there and open up a Tex/Mex/Cajun restaurant) and it was mentioned that there were wallabies right outside the dorm.

Last edited:
yup, the wallabies are all over the place
They mostly come out at dawn and dusk and just sit in the shade during the day, but they do wander about.
Any sort of restauraunt would go down well in Townsville, and if you aim at the uni (JCU) there will be no shortage of customers at all. Incidentally, about a third of JCU is American exchange students, and the first thing they all do is look for the local mexican place, of which there is only one.

Great photos! How is the overall health of the reef there? I'm wondering if you are seeing any dead/dieing corals? Diseased corals? Crown of thorns out of proportion? It seems from the pics that everything is looking pretty good.
Thanks again for the photos.

WOW. It is so cool that you live so close to the reef. it must be temting to grab stuff and take it home, huh?

The reef is really in pretty good condition. Australia has much more resources to spread around to protect the reef, so there are literally millions of untouches (and unseen) reefs that are protected from exploitation. Some of the inshore and tourist reefs are run down, with broken up and bleached corals, but the vast majority are just like the photos. Just make sure you take a dive boat that goes away from the usual spots.

If you have the appropriate licences, you can just wander out and collect your own specimens, there are howere very strict bag limits and impact prevention measures that make sure noone goes out there with a trawl net and pick axe to collect fish and corals. I am always very careful when i go out collecting.

A couple more photos and movies:

IMG_0394.jpg

This is my usual dive spot, not bad is it?

IMG_0362.jpg

Does anyone have an ID for this clam?

CoralTroutandSixbandAngelfishatSSYo.jpg

OliveSeaSnakeatSSYongala.jpg

A curious sea snake

CoralTroutatacleaningstationonSSYon.jpg

SixbandAngelfishatSSYongala.jpg

LargeSchoolingFishonSSYongala.jpg

This is the hull of the SS Yongala wreck, the diver gives a good idea of the scale.

Wow I have dove all over the Carribean and in South America and seen a lot but haven't made it there yet.. I am jealous... Nice pictures

Back