Green water

suicideissleep

So my frag tank has been set up for four months. It's a 60g rimless with20 g sump I have two fish couple snails its bare bottom have some rock in there all was good till I added vodka to rid some algea next day water was green I have ran a filter sock, skimmer, carbon, gfo and still no help water has been green for four weeks have done 6 30 gallon water changes and it keeps coming back and input woukd be awesome pulling my hair out

wow that's a tuffy I cant see how 2 fish and a couple snail could cause such trouble with out over feeding . but I am sure that was already cut back on. is there any kind of plastic in the tank that may be leaching ?

You've created an algae bloom in water column. The only solution is a uv lamp with low flow. Duration to have it cleaned will depend on lamp size.

Usually green water us a massive bacteria growth isnt it. By adding the vodka you just fueled them to explode in population. Vodka dosing feeds nitrafying bacteria so there population can expand if I understand it all right. How much vodka did you add

Usually green water us a massive bacteria growth isnt it. By adding the vodka you just fueled them to explode in population. Vodka dosing feeds nitrafying bacteria so there population can expand if I understand it all right. How much vodka did you add

usually carbon sources grow bacteria that is white. hence the cloudy water when overdosed.

Makes sense. I would also go to vinegar instead of vodka. Maybe quinidence but ive read many threads of people getting cyano after dosing vodka

I dosed .2ml first day and was green next day I thought maybe it was random so I went on with my dosing like I would normally and nothing changed so I thought it was the vodka so I stopped that still no change still changing filter socks like crazy and I empty my skimmer every day I'm very stumped so I figured someone on here might know a cause

Me and UVs are still on the fence I like my microscopic life in my tank to much

I think I just need a bigger skimmer ;) lol my fix to everything just go bigger

Back