Pics

Attachments

• IMAG0058_20130323140548284.jpg
    IMAG0058_20130323140548284.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0059_20130323140619650.jpg
    IMAG0059_20130323140619650.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 0
I have a one spot. I had a macro/wiry algae problem and the fox face went to town on it (not hair algae). the only drawback is that they can get rather large. Mine went from two inches to 8 in a year. Stopped growing now. They can also be kinda skiddish.

Mine was a little closer to the rock like a mat. I'm sure a fox face would like that though. How big is your tank?

I've been battling a very similar looking algae for quite a while so I'll be watching this thread. Mine seems to be resistant to everything I've tried so far. It grows in the dark with no nutrients from what I can tell. A Kole Tang wouldn't touch it but I'm still hopeful that there is something that would view this as food.
I'm not so sure that a Fox Face is a great choice with my current inhabitants. I've heard that they can be agressive and may outgrow my 90 gallon very quickly. Are there any other fish that might be inclined to eat this stuff?

That is Bryopsis, good luck finding ANYTHING that will eat that stuff, I would suggest to you to eradicate this now before it takes over, look into the Tech-M treatment & or peroxide method, both can be found in the search section. I have successfully rid my tank with the Kent Marine Tech-M magnesium treatment.

In my experience the koles like softer algae. I have one and he never touched the turf algae. I also have a purple tang. There has been no real algae problem since I got him so I don't k ow his preference. He picks at the rocks but most of his food is nori and spectrum. The fox face decimated the turf algae. He keeps working on whatever tries to sprout up. They do get rather large as I stated before.

That is Bryopsis, good luck finding ANYTHING that will eat that stuff, I would suggest to you to eradicate this now before it takes over, look into the Tech-M treatment & or peroxide method, both can be found in the search section. I have successfully rid my tank with the Kent Marine Tech-M magnesium treatment.

Hmmm. I thought bryopsis looked like long fern strands and is soft not wirey? Could be though. Hard to tell from those pictures.

Tech M slowed it down some but it has been creeping back. Peroxide hasn't done much except with repeated direct application, and even then it's come back.
I currently have a 14 gallon rubbermaid container in which I cook the rock, dosed with peroxide and kept completely in the dark. once a rock is clean, it goes back in my DT but after a few months it starts sprouting the stuff again.
Edit; When I set up my nano, I took a few rocks from the rubbermade that looked perfect. no sign of anything, even with a loupe and 3x magnification. I spent 20 minutes manually removing the stuff from that tank today.

There seem to be several forms of Bryopsis, I found a few pictures of it that looked like this when it first popped up a couple years ago. That's how I discovered the Tech-M treatment. I think it may have even been how i found this site.
So... just how aggressive is a Fox Face?

Back