griss’ Battle with Cyano - all the Things I’ve Tried

What’d you find? Link please. I’m looking to stock up so I don’t have to switch to LED before I die😉

Ah, mine are 175w and I picked them up dirt cheap. If I remember correctly, I paid around $10-15 a bulb.

A couple months ago, our younger daughter wanted to set up a FW shrimp tank and asked me to go to an LFS I haven’t been to in decades because. I hadn’t been there because, while their FW, FW plants and pond stuff is incredible, they don’t have much SW. Anyway, I was taking to the guy working there and he said about a year ago they threw away a bunch on MH bulbs because they weren’t selling.

The iwasakis above, I got for around $20 a piece if my memory is right and the coralvues were about $15 a piece.

Okay, swapped out the bulb this morning when I woke up at 4:00 am and couldn’t get back to sleep🙄

@kharmaguru have you done anything more with the calcium carbonate? I finally ordered some tonight. Should have it tomorrow.
Nope, got some real life stuff going on lol (nothing bad, just has to be done stuff). I'll get to it at some point. The cyano is happily waiting for me. I suck the majority out each water change but it's fully back by the next one..

175 seemed to go away as the price of 250's dropped. Towards the end of my corner, they were less, so I switched the ballast out. Wife's been using it over her plants the past 10 years.

The test begins. FTS just cleaned the glass so should be some bits in the water.
View attachment 32379508

I mixed it as a one time batch. Pill bottles are the best. 10ml rodi, 2.5g calcium carbonate and 1ml MB7. I followed his shaking and sitting times.
View attachment 32379509

FTS after dosing. The corals don't seem to notice it all.
View attachment 32379510

And dang I forgot to take a picture of the cyano. Too cloudy to do it now. Will follow up with whatever happens.
No need to reply right away as I know you mentioned you’ve got some stuff going on. I’m trying to figure out the dose for my system based off what you did. About 50 gallons total, so I’m thinking 5 ml ro/di, 1/3 tsp calcium carbonate and 0.5 ml MB7.

Just dosed the FWE. Didn’t see any floaters in the DT, but more than I expected in the 5g fuge. Used a turkey baster to remove as many floaters as possible. Also, fired up a full reactor of carbon and did a 5 gallon WC after 30 minutes.

So far, so good. Knock on wood and fingers crossed. Had good experience with FWE many years ago on a 58 softie tank.

No need to reply right away as I know you mentioned you’ve got some stuff going on. I’m trying to figure out the dose for my system based off what you did. About 50 gallons total, so I’m thinking 5 ml ro/di, 1/3 tsp calcium carbonate and 0.5 ml MB7.
I went with this plan.

Attachments

• ABDF426B-65B4-4319-B986-F7AA002AC686.jpeg
    ABDF426B-65B4-4319-B986-F7AA002AC686.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
Back