griss’ Battle with Cyano - all the Things I’ve Tried

What’s interesting is (knock on wood) I haven’t seen a FW in the DT. Maybe the clowns or damsels eat any that make it into the display???

Couple of updates.

Took the fuge offline and hit it with 1.5 dose FWE for an hour as the FW’s are back. Tons of them died. I did a 3 gallon water change on the fuge and the remaining 2 gallons from the DT. A couple hours later, FW’s crawling all over the fuge glass🙄

Haven’t tested water in a while and did that this morning.
Alk - 9.1 (Salifert)
Ca - 390 (Salifert)
Mg - 1125 (Salifert)
NO3 - 25 (Salifert)
PO4 - 0.00 (Hanna)

Guess I need to cut back in the nitrate dosing.
Calc and Mag are quite low. Recommended Water Parameters

Haven't made an update in a while. But, this weekend, noticed a bunch of FW's in the 5 gallon fuge. Still (knock on wood) haven't seen one FW in the DT. Anyway, I took the fuge offline and dosed 4x Flatworm Exit and let it sit for 45 minutes, killed every visible FW. Then did a 100% water change on the fuge. So, I've been doing weekly doses of Flatworm Exit for quite a while now. On Monday, noticed more FW's in the fuge:rolleyes:

I also did a 5 gallon water change on the DT. As of last night, I still have some cyano here and there, but not nearly as bad as it's been. It seems to just come and go and I can never get rid of it.

I really need to move that wall in the basement and get my upgrade done to start fresh. But, with the weather getting nice, boating season is almost here. So, not sure I'll have the time to redo the basement to allow for the upgrade.

So I still haven't done another marine snow treatment. I have cut down on feeding, stopped using Fuel, upped water changes, did a full sump cleanout and aimed my nero3 directly at the worst cyano area AND....it seems happier than ever. I just bought some chemiclean but I haven't used it yet. On another note my coraline and monti have picked up growth, my ORP has risen 50 points, so I'm thinking I haven't been changing quite enough water weekly.

So I still haven't done another marine snow treatment. I have cut down on feeding, stopped using Fuel, upped water changes, did a full sump cleanout and aimed my nero3 directly at the worst cyano area AND....it seems happier than ever. I just bought some chemiclean but I haven't used it yet. On another note my coraline and monti have picked up growth, my ORP has risen 50 points, so I'm thinking I haven't been changing quite enough water weekly.
Crazy hobby we have.

Alk - 9.9
Ca - 440
Mg - 1350
NO3 - 2
PO4 - 0.01

5 gallon water change, added 30 mL Alk, 2 mL NO3 & 10 mL Marine snow w/ 5mL MB7.

After adding marine snow/MB7

Attachments

• 9B979562-A40A-4D7D-A305-49F217DE66F6.jpeg
    9B979562-A40A-4D7D-A305-49F217DE66F6.jpeg
    903.5 KB · Views: 7
Still have Cyano.

On a positive front, I took the 5 gallon fuge offline yesterday, dosed 4x FWE, waited an hour and then did a 100% water change on the fuge before putting it back online. Tonight, I’m not seeing and flatworms.

Hi @griss I hope you were able to solve your cyan issue. I had a similar issue. In the end knocking it back with red slime remover (similar to chemiclean) was the only thing that worked. At least it give you a little hope, to knock the cyan back and work on the root cause.

You can see mine was bad, if you check the before and after pic :)

CYANO.png

Hi @griss I hope you were able to solve your cyan issue. I had a similar issue. In the end knocking it back with red slime remover (similar to chemiclean) was the only thing that worked. At least it give you a little hope, to knock the cyan back and work on the root cause.

View attachment 32384069
Any negative side effects from Red Slime Remover? @SwissFragReefer

Any negative side effects from Red Slime Remover? @SwissFragReefer
No, not at all, actually some of the corals especially the mushrooms are bigger than ever. The cyan definitely started to bother a little bit the corals, that is why I decided to go with "red slime remover".

It definitely comes back a tiny bit, I see again here and there little patches of cyan. But compared to how it was it is like night and day. It is now around 2 weeks since I added the red slime remover. I used "chemiclean" on another tank couple years back and it never came back and also no negative affect at all.

I always like to mention that I have 95% SPS and a handful of LPS and the Mushrooms, so in other tanks this might be different. Just make sure you suck out most of the cyan first and then make the treatment. If you have massive amount of cyan inside and just melt it down, maybe that creates more issues.

View attachment 32384069
Tried chemiclean. It knocked the Cyano back, didn’t get rid of it and the Cyano came back. I’m working on water changes and competing with macros.

BTW I saw your nutrients above and they are super low hope it does not throw you into a Dino issue...
griss, I would be concerned with the nutrients so low as well. I have only had dinos when I was doing a lot of water changes on the seahorse tank. I wanted low nutrients to protect the ponies from bacterial infections but then the tank would be vulnerable to dinos and cyano.
That never seems to be a problem when my nutrients are high.

Back