GRMAS April meeting minutes

tanglovers

GRMAS Meeting 4/3/06

Brian handed out survey form for club members that were present to fill out for club and swap suggestions, also can be noted if someone wanted to nominate for board of directors. Names were optional on this survey.

Next months meeting we will be electing board members and paying annual dues- $24 year ($2 month- prorated).

Treasurer Report: Ed gave monthly report of GRMAS financials, results not to be published online.

Swap financials (not to be published online)

Swap Discussion and Feedback-
(from surveys- online and paper)
Good- signage

Bad- early entry for buyers, raffle took too long, the same person handled the food and the money in the kitchen, sellers did not have alot of time to look around (but it was determined this was up to the seller to fix- make arrangements to share a table, or bring a friend along to watch your stuff), also was mentioned that there was alot of stuff that was reserved- it was suggested to have a maximum that could be reserved (but it was determined to be the sellers choice- and we will not limit reserves).

Suggestions for next years swap-
**It is the consensus that the current location will meet our needs for another year. We are penciling the date for Sat, Feb 24th 2007- which is the last Sat in Feb.
**Proposed to form a swap committee of 4-6 people to organize.
**Corresponding secretary to start soliciting donations- beginning of year from major companies
**Next year do a break down on money/profit from different areas of the swap.
**Next year- count attendance
**Coke preference suggested over Pepsi
**Vendors noted that softies and zoas first to sell!
**Communication between who has what for sale for member benefit (between members)
**V.I. interested in sponsorship for next year
** Chow Hound wants to give out coupons next year
**Eco-Reef wants to participate again
**Solomon Seas- "up in the air about results"- only made a couple of hundred dollars according to Gerde
**admission suggestions- different entrance for sellers and buyers- more people working admission- double sided with 2 tables, sign in for admission- so we can find other members that do not have a table, lap top with printer for printed name tags (legibility), floor map posted (who is where).
**Next year- we might need to run tables up the middle of the room to provide more table space- but still keeping the areas behind the tables blocked off for seller access only. Run them back to back.
**Chinese raffle- people enter for individual items as opposed to general raffle. Many were in favor of this idea.
**discussed looking into hotel room discount for out-of towners.
**Discussed having a speaker at swap- but was suggested that we have a swap in the spring and a speaker in the fall- separating the 2 events.
Ed talked to Steven Pro- he did not get an exact amount but it sounds as though the club covers all of the speakers expenses- but unsure if any additional fees.

Other meeting topics-
Gerde passed out some articles for club members to look at- Stingrays sill be at the John Ball Zoo this summer.

Chad Kirby brought in shirt samples in sport grey and indigo blue- members signed up for color and size- everyone chose blue- so grey will not be offered as an option again.
Chad placed the order for the shirts Tue 4/4/06- and will deliver them to embroidery place when they are in.

BREAK

Members present voted and passed for the member/club split for auctions to change from 60/40 to 70/30- effective this meeting.

Next meeting we will be collecting dues, voting for board members, forming committees (swap) and Brian will have the results of the surveys that were submitted to him.

Gerde discussed having organization of club meetings and topics scheduled in advance.

Scott Younkers to check on date and room availability.

Meeting and Event Schedule

Sat, April 15th- IMAX theater- Gerde to confirm details and time.

May 2006 meeting topic- board election/dues/ sand swap(2 cups)

June 2006 meeting topic- test kits- Brian to bring water- everyone else bring different brand test kits to compare.
Saturday event- Stingrays at the zoo- club to pay 1/2 admission for club members.

July 2006 (wed meeting) ZeoVit System
Saturday event- picnic July 29th- bring a dish to pass, club will pay for coral to frag for coral growing contest, raffle gifts. Brian suggested Palmer Park off of 52nd.

Aug 2006- Nano and Pico tanks
Saturday event- Aug 19th- making rock

Sept 2006 (wed meeting) QT and fish selection/shopping- Brian/Mark/Scott Y.

Oct 2006- DIY show and tell

Nov 2006- lighting and equipment discussion

Dec 2006 live food discussion

Jan 2007- some swap planning

Feb 2007 Final swap planning

March 2007- swap decompression/feedback

April 2007- annual planning meeting

Other ideas not yet scheduled:
Shedd Aquarium trip
workshops
Bus trip- Chicago
Michigan- Preuss, Trop
Tank tour

Other topics:
video
different methodology- BB, DSB,etc

Discussed having a speaker at swap- but was suggested that we have a swap in the spring and a speaker in the fall- separating the 2 events.
Ed talked to Steven Pro- he did not get an exact amount but it sounds as though the club covers all of the speakers expenses- but unsure if any additional fees.

You will find I am pretty easy going. If you get me there, I will speak. I don't have a set speaking fee or anything. Although, I am a little booked up right now with events that take me through the rest of 2006.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7168499#post7168499 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Steven Pro
You will find I am pretty easy going. If you get me there, I will speak. I don't have a set speaking fee or anything. Although, I am a little booked up right now with events that take me through the rest of 2006.
Steve,It was great talking with you at the Midwest Marine Conference in AnnArbor.I cant wait to here how more of your reef safe not reef safe testing gos.It made me realy think about what I put in my tank.:eek2: Thanks Ed

Back