Hair algae problem..any suggestions????????

Reefjunkee

Premium Member
I have had a recent outbreak of hair algae in my tank and cant figure out what is feeding it.All my tank perameters are ok.KH-9.0,CA-420,ph8.2,MG-1400,po4-0,silicates-0,no3-0.LMk if I forgot anything.I had 850 watts of light,1-400w mh,1-250w,2 96w actinics.I took off the 250 to give me a total of 600 w.Water temp-steady 77-78(chiller).I cant figure out for the life of me what is feeding this crap.I have dropped feedings to every other day.Added 50 blue leg hermits.Any suggestions to get rid of it???Thanks for any help.Rick

Oh I forgot to mention my orp was very low...like 200.I have been bringing it up with kent poly-ox.It is about 350 now.I have an ozone reactor on the way so i dont have to keep adding poly-ox.

I had some on a rock and I had to manually pull it out until it was small then my astraea snails keep it mowed down and in control. I don't like hermits as they tend to kill snails for their shells(if they are the right ones) so I stay away from them. What test kits are you using might be that they are not giving you an accurate reading. hth

I had a bad hair algae outbreak in my 240, removed all the rock and scrubbed off the hair algae. Then started dosing tank with AGNO3, I haven't had algae since.

I use all Salifert kits.I have 2 po4 kits and both are reading the same.I have been pulling it off the rocks but it comes back.Guess I need to try getting some more astreas.I wasnt aware athat they would even eat hair algae.This really sucks!I added 50 blue legs hoping they would get it under control but to no avail.ariel47 what is AGN03???

AgNO3 - Silver Nitrate. It's an oxidizing agent - very potent and poisonous. If you get it on your skin, the skin turns black and sloughs off. It's an old treatment for warts among other things.

Re: Hair algae problem..any suggestions????????

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9949686#post9949686 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by minireefer03
Any suggestions to get rid of it???Thanks for any help.Rick

Buy some seahares that should help :)

to test your PO4 id test the top off water. sometimes the algae takes in the PO4 so fast that it reads 0 all the time in the tank. test your RO water or tap water before you put it in the tank to make sure it is PO4 free. good luck. i had a problem also and i got some lettuce nudibranches, reduced the light and it died down slowly. i had to keep my MH lights off till that happened though.

just got rid of it in a 150 w/o taking the rock out of the tank everything was covered with it... it took 2 months, which is very good.
Its not completley gone yet but just about.
I did everything you could do to rid it.
1. weekly water changes
2. scrub some off manually then scoop it out
3. make sure all filters are running at 100%
4. I used algone, phosguard and kent phosphate sponge, and chemi pure
5. added 125 turbo snails- most of them have died since
6. added 2 lawnmower blennies
7. 5 emerald crabs
8. changed and replaced lighting
9. cut down feeding
10. I think I'm forgetting something else??
I think what made the biggest difference was..... everything!
all equally, but maybe the bulbs made more difference than the rest, they were over 2 years old.

Back