Halide Q & A

Im going crazy trying to decide on lights. Im trying to grow mostly LPS (acans and favias). Do you guys think a single bulb 250w MH fixture is too much OR should i go with a four, 36w bulb HoT5 fixture? My tank is 22 inches deep and is 48 gallons.

I have a 90 gallon tank with 2 250MH SE bulbs. The lights are in a canopy and are only about 4" off the water. My temps run between 78-84 degrees. What do you think I should do to keep things running cooler?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14389397#post14389397 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ecomdesign
I have a 90 gallon tank with 2 250MH SE bulbs. The lights are in a canopy and are only about 4" off the water. My temps run between 78-84 degrees. What do you think I should do to keep things running cooler?

increase evaporation by aiming a fan at the sump or refugium, and increase the airflow through your canopy, i would have one or two fans on each side of the canopy, two blowing in and two blowing out ideally-2out on one side, 2 in on the other

I will try modding my canopy and add a fan on my sump. I already have 1 fan on each side of the canopy. 1 blows in, 1 blows out. If the modded canopy and sump fan dont work, I'll add the extra fans at that time.

thanks for the help!

How far up from tank

How far up from tank

I have 2 250 watt PFO mini's above A standard 120 Gal. AGA tank
growing stony corals.
How high above should they be mounted?

hey all,i am in the process of settting up a 50g breeder (36x18x18), it has a center brace. so my question is that if i went with a single MH bulb setup, that wouldn't be very wise? i was looking at the 150watt/ T5 combo fixtures on ebay, or one of currents 150w fixtures. I was also wondering does anyone make fixture that has maybe two 70watt setup? So basically i wanted something that wasn't too crazy on energy usage, so figured a single 150w MH setup was good, but problem is the middle brace on the tank..

There is a shop light which all electrical wholesalers I've spoken to refer to as 'the shoplighter'. It is a low profile reflector and ballast set for 70W double ended bulbs. Electrical wholesalers may also just sell you a 70W ballast and you can get a reflector/socket housing from any hardware place.

15K metal halide color

15K metal halide color

I have two metal halides. One burns white, the other bluish. Both are new. Which one is the one that is inaccurate for color at 15K?

I currently have a 75 gallon with mostly LPS softies and a couple of candy cane corals. I have a 4x 110 watt VHO retrofit kit with reflector. I need some advice about an idea I had. Can I remove the center two VHOs and add MHs. Maybe 2 150 watt MHs. Has anyone tried this? What bulbs, fixtures, etc do you all recommend? I have the VHOs mounted under the wooden canopy and I am curious if the MHs will be too close to the water. That is why I wanted to go with a lower wattage. I can take pics to show.

I was wondering if you think it will be too much light for my 55 gallon if I put a 2x250 watt metal halide set up on the tank? That's 9 watts per gallon. I'm thinking that might be too much. Or should I look into a 2x150w set up? That's about 5.5 watts per gallon. I currently have zoanthids, kenya trees, Montiporas and some acros. Also keep in mind that I might upgrade to a 75 in the next year or so.

i have a current solana. 20x20 and just ordered a sundial hqi. How should i go about acclimating it. I have a 55w power compact right now

Metal Halide

Metal Halide

Hey guys, i recently upgraded my tank to a 65 gal (36x18) and i bought a 36" 150w MH fixture. The tank is about 26" in height. Should i consider changing to a stronger MH? If so let me know to which. Thanks

walter

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14471208#post14471208 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Madfronter
I was wondering if you think it will be too much light for my 55 gallon if I put a 2x250 watt metal halide set up on the tank? That's 9 watts per gallon. I'm thinking that might be too much. Or should I look into a 2x150w set up? That's about 5.5 watts per gallon. I currently have zoanthids, kenya trees, Montiporas and some acros. Also keep in mind that I might upgrade to a 75 in the next year or so.
Why not go with a 175w setup. It will work on both your current setup and the 75g.

Re: Metal Halide

Re: Metal Halide

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14521832#post14521832 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dwade0323
Hey guys, i recently upgraded my tank to a 65 gal (36x18) and i bought a 36" 150w MH fixture. The tank is about 26" in height. Should i consider changing to a stronger MH? If so let me know to which. Thanks

walter
26" is to deep for a 150w halide, yo might want to upgrade that to a 250w for the depth.

Back