Halide Q & A

Thank you stancfii

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're welcome. I just switched from Radiums to Hamilton 20k and love them. There's a guy who made a post on that other forum comparing the "œnew" 250w Hamilton 20k (they changed the formula a year or so ago) to the Radium 250w via spectrometer. It is almost identical, and has the same PAR for less wattage and less cost. They are a hint more white than the Radiums (which I prefer). Corals seem to be loving them as well.

You're welcome. I just switched from Radiums to Hamilton 20k and love them. There's a guy who made a post on that other forum comparing the "œnew" 250w Hamilton 20k (they changed the formula a year or so ago) to the Radium 250w via spectrometer. It is almost identical, and has the same PAR for less wattage and less cost. They are a hint more white than the Radiums (which I prefer). Corals seem to be loving them as well.

Are you using a standard electric ballast? I don't have an hqi setting.

Are you using a standard electric ballast? I don't have an hqi setting.

I'm using a select-a-watt ballast. With the Radiums I would run it on HQI setting. With the Hamilton's, I would use the regular 250w setting. The data I've seen looks like the Hammy on 250w now puts out as much PAR on the same spectrum as the Radium on 250HQI.

Anybody know if a Hamilton magnetic ballast will run a 14k Ushio better than a Reefbrite electronic ballast? I am looking for more PAR / better spectrum over electricity/heat costs.

Thx!

I am in the process of building a 375g tank. I have decided to run MH with LED supplementation. Tank dimensions are 96" x 30" x 30". I will be using Lumen Bright SE Large Reflectors with Giesemann Megachrome Crystal 17,500K SE 400W bulbs. Can anyone recommend a good ballast for this combination. I know choices a slim theses days. With all the reading/research I have done, everything points to Hamilton, Luxcore or lumatek ballast. Are any of these better/best or is there something better?

Lighting Recommendation.

Lighting Recommendation.

:fish2: Do you guys think 2 Reefbrite 15" SE METAL HALIDE PENDANT at 400watts with the built in Blue XHO LED Strips would cover a 72x20x20 decent ? :fish2:

Hey I have been MIA for a while got laid off, ended up moving, and well life got away from me. So I was curious I still have this old used PFO lighting fixture I got that had dual 150W dual MH lamps (came with two UHI-150AQ/10 bulbs). It also has two VHO T12 posts, but I am thinking of converting those to a DIY COB Deep Blue LEDs that I had and never got around to using. I did get the dual transformer ballast fixed that came with it. I was wondering if I could get a electronic replacement at some point? It looks like you can't get the 10K color anymore. Is there any issues with using this fixture or bulb in the future? The ballast I have currently supports M81,M102,M142. Not totally sure if I remember what was unique about M81? Was that for HQI? Most of the electronic ballasts said they only support M102,M142.

Well from what I can gather so far M81 is just the ANSI number for a magnetic ballast that supports HQI bulbs. I did see a description on one HQI bulb from Hamilton that said it can use a M81 ballast or an electronic one. So maybe it doesn't really matter as much using an electronic ballast other than wattage of course.

150W ME HQI bulb

Back