Has anyone tried Marineland sumps?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14238821#post14238821 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mx838
I am curious too about this sump. I had some issues with a marineland product and they offered me one too. it should be in anytime. I got the model 4 and they told me there was a 14x14 area in the middle that I can use as a ref or add a larger skimmer. I am using2 of there 1350 gph or 750 at 4' pumps. I have a 220 marineland tank with dual corner flows on it so im doing as recomended with the two pumps. I am nervous because there are no reviews yet.

although I am going to be using mine on a much smaller tank 60gal kinda nervous as well. I haven't been able to find a good picture or any reviews on them. But mine is supposed to be here next week, Ill let you know what I think when it gets here. Maybe you could update me when you get yours as well?
Chris

Well mine is up and running and has been for a couple weeks. I dont know about not being able to put a big skimmer on them I am running a bullet on it right now which is a pretty big skimmer over rated for my big tank. I like the trays they work nice. I think the sump is huge but that is not a bad thing it fits into the stand well and I can access what I need to. The design seems ok. I am using the bio wheels for now but may remove them if I have an issue with nitrates rising.

Last edited:
I got mine as well, how ever I'm still waiting for the pump to get here so it's to running yet.
I am going to mod it a little, I'm removing the bio wheel and putting a bunch of ruble in that compartment, and I started to divide the return pump section buy installing a bubble trap to keep the water at a constant hight for my skimmer.

How about you....did yours have a bubble trap in it?

no but the area that the water comes into the sump after the area the bio wheel is in is where I put my skimmer. It stays constant there. where did you get a bubble trap that works here id like to modify that area for something else though.

You can definitely get a ss220 in there. If its tight you can just hang it off the side. I was able to get a nautilus TE in mine. The only problem I had was micro bubbles because there is not a ton of space or baffles. If you do baffle it keep in mind that a smaller return will mean you are affected more by evaporation and without an auto top off you will defiantly need to top it off yourself once a day.

well...I figure that I will have about 5inches left for the return area....after I make my bubble trap
Do you think thats too small?

Do you have an auto top off? I guess climate affects the evaporation as well. I lose about a gallon a day. I was topping off every day I think if I had the baffle it would have been twice a day. You can always try it and if you don't like it take it out.

an auto top off is in the works as well.....but after I get this set up and running I'll concentrate on that

Back