Have been dealing with an algae issue..

I used dr. Tims waste away (the blue stick) and it did nothing. Finally I removed it after I guess a couple weeks.. none of the goo inside had been expelled and algae was actually growing on the stick. How can algae grow on something meant to kill algae? Lol
Yep, the Dr Tim’s was a bandaid for me. If you read the whole thread, there’s a wealth of knowledge in there from members😉

Leave the thing alone. Do yourself a big favor and go out to breakfast. (It's morning here in New York) When you start adding things to kill normal, natural things that are supposed to be there you will be in trouble and headed to the disease forum.

That amount of algae is perfect and as a matter of fact, a little less than it should be.

The only thinsg I would do is siphon it out with small weekly water changes and maybe add an urchin or two. I really wouldn't change anything else you're doing. FWIW, a system can be instantly cycled (been doing it for several decades myself) but it still takes time to mature. Beside water changes and being patient easy corals will help compete witht eh algae for nutrients.

I've used Chemiclean a few times over the years with good results and no ill effects, got to follow the instructions to the letter.

I've used Chemiclean a few times over the years with good results and no ill effects, got to follow the instructions to the letter.

Do not use Chemi clean. It is erythromycin which is a antobiotic which kills bacteria. The problem is it kills other types of bacteria too which can help combat cyanobacteria and other algae. Its a bandaid and usually will have to be used again. Cyanobacteria are in pretty much everyone's tanks except those that is a antibiotic like erythromycin. It will be introduced again with pretty much any fish or coral or even a worse type of algae.

Cynao is part of you biodiversity and is not bad. It is only bad when it becomes unsightly or starts covering corals. When it gets like this it is giving you a warning that something is out of balance. In my opinion cyano usually is saying you have to many bound phosphates since calcium carbonate binds it and probably neglected your tank and allowed phosphates to get to high or you are over feeding.

The problem is now you killed the cyano and several other bacteria your tank needs. Bacteria consume the same nutrients as algae. Now the problem is still there and getting worse. Now you introduce something worse like lets say dinoflagellates. Cyano is easy to take care of and also is easy to remove but not dino. I know several people have had this exact problem. Now dino are a real problem. It could also be another persistent algae or cyano again but worse since you did not take care of the problem.

Not only that they are now talking about antibiotic resistance strains of cyno.

I never had any problems when I used it, I fought with the cyano for a long time before I tried it and it worked. OP use it on a regular basis without problems, IME it was not a band aid, it got rid of the cyano and the tank thrived after that. Sometimes cyano rears it's ugly head and no matter what you do with regular maintenance you can't get rid of it. Chemi cleans works and a lot of people use it.

Water change, Algae Turf Scrubber. Algae is nature's natural filter. Grow the algae where you want to, and starve out the algae in the tank.

This is what I am talking about. Here are my ATSs at work. 2 weeks' growth and need to clean out.

Attachments

• 20230127_163212.jpg
    20230127_163212.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • 20230128_161645.jpg
    20230128_161645.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
Back