Have you seen me today?

PilotNY

Premium Member
Hi All,
I have quick question. I have been doing a fair amount of seaching on identifing a clam. I got this guy from a friend who was going to tear down his reef tank. He thought it was a Maxima, but wasn't sure (I think he burnt a few too many brain cells):)
Anyway, how can I ID this guy?
He is about 2 " long in the pic.
Thanks in advance
Carl

T. crocea

90%

Could be a maxima, but I doubt it. A look at the incurrent syphon would be helpful, but not necissary.

Besides, I wanna see the mantle! Looks like a nice clam!

:thumbsup:

RE

Thanks Guys,
I will try to get a pic of him next time I can. Will get mantle hopefully. :)

Thanks Carl

See the line of black dots around the edge of the mantle? That's usual on Maximas.

Kimo

Ok. I thought the mantle looks maxima-ish, but the scutes looked more crocea like. Maybe I saw them wrong...

:D
RE

Although small T. crocea have scutes, I talked to PilotNY and he described the shell on this clam as being as being very thick and heavy, which probably indicates it is indeed a T. maxima.
But as you previously posted, ReefEze, whatever the species- it does look like a nice clam.

Thanks to everyone for their opinions...:) I will take the groups unanimous opinion and call it a Maxima. I really do appreciate your time.
Clam is doing great. Nice addition to tank. :)

Thanks Carl

suasponte2/75 said:
Definitely a Max. I have close to the exact same color, purplish/blue w/black dots. It's a beautiful clam.

Minh
Hey,
We got another Minh here.
I also think it is a Maxima 100% sure.
Minh Nguyen

Back