Hawaii passes aquarium fish collection limits

How can you pass a bill and not know what is in it, or not know what it is going to affect? Sounds like a health care bill.

This is well overdue legislation IMO. The bigger question is how well it will be implemented and enforced.

This is well overdue legislation IMO. The bigger question is how well it will be implemented and enforced.

Agreed.

Unfortunately, most greedy/closed-minded/self-righteous people on here will not ! These are the same people that kill half the animals they buy, just to turn around and buy more without any changes to the misinformed/unknowledgable/sloppy way they keep their aquarium(s) ...

Fortunately, those same lazy/self-centered/irresponsible idiots, who have all the necessary information to improve conditions for these organisms right in front of their clueless faces, won't have as much negative/ill effect on the Hawaiian Islands anymore ... I've always said, "You should have to obtain a strict, knowledge/experience/etc based permit in order to buy/keep saltwater fish/invertebrates/etc" ! There's too many fkn idiots out there killing these amazing, already threatened organisms at an alarming rate. Chances are, if you even have to think or make your usual weak/lame excuses about all the life you've lost/killed, you're likely one of those "idiots" for lack of a better censored word

Agreed.

Unfortunately, most greedy/closed-minded/self-righteous people on here will not ! These are the same people that kill half the animals they buy, just to turn around and buy more without any changes to the misinformed/unknowledgable/sloppy way they keep their aquarium(s) ...

Fortunately, those same lazy/self-centered/irresponsible idiots, who have all the necessary information to improve conditions for these organisms right in front of their clueless faces, won't have as much negative/ill effect on the Hawaiian Islands anymore ... I've always said, "You should have to obtain a strict, knowledge/experience/etc based permit in order to buy/keep saltwater fish/invertebrates/etc" ! There's too many fkn idiots out there killing these amazing, already threatened organisms at an alarming rate. Chances are, if you even have to think or make your usual weak/lame excuses about all the life you've lost/killed, you're likely one of those "idiots" for lack of a better censored word

Really all I said is if you are going to come up with a law citizens should know what is in it? Sounds like they came up with a law to get people off there backs? People of Hawaii have all the rights to protect what is thiers, it just seems today we pass laws that make us feel good with no teeth, laws that are covering items that already on the books, or laws that extend beyond what they where intended for. I hope you don't have an aquarium because if you do are still contributing to the taking of fish from the ocean which some would deam as evil! If you want to conserve the collecting of fish in Hawaii to where it will last forever all you have to do is create a slot or limit the size of all fish collected like is done in Texas where the Redfish and Trout numbers are awesome.
The picture of all the dead yellow tangs that keeps coming up seems staged, I have never seen those large of tangs in any of my fish stores in 30+ years.

Agreed.

Just curious but how would one gain that experience without actually keeping fish and inverts? By that logic you would have to have the experience before keeping those animals.

Also it must be nice to have immortal fish because every fish I have ever bought will die at some point. Sure it may take 10 years, but if it is a wild specimen the moment it is removed from the reef it is pretty much dead for that system.

Unfortunately, most greedy/closed-minded/self-righteous people on here will not !
Blah, blah, blah...

Unfortunately, some greedy/closed-minded/self-righteous people will try to show their 'superiority' ... Talk about clueless!!!!

What's really needed is a permit for 'better than you/know it alls'...

Yes, I have applied!
:rolleyes:

Agreed.

Wow, I guess you started out as an expert fish guru. How arrogant.

It all depends on how it is enforced and what is on the list. If the fish are all ready threatened then its a good thing. The other side of the coin is that people put fish on the list with no data to back it up.

Unfortunately, some greedy/closed-minded/self-righteous people will try to show their 'superiority' ... Talk about clueless!!!!

What's really needed is a permit for 'better than you/know it alls'...

Yes, I have applied!
:rolleyes:

I live for when threads come to this!
Ding ding! Round 1!

In all seriousness I apparently need to get my fish now that I know will be on that list! Off to make a few calls!

Oh yeah, this thread is going down! Hopefully, coralreefdoc will tell us what he really thinks about all of "us" idiots!

IBTL

It's already over... Judges gave me the win by VKO !
(Virtual Knock Out)

Well its not over till we hear the rebuttal lol then we can determine if he is knowledgeable to not be one of "us idiots" then again I'm pretty sure he has already but I love ruffling some feathers

Here at Reef Central, we believe that dialogs between participants should be conducted in a friendly and helpful manner. If you disagree with a posting, please express yourself in a way that is conducive to further constructive dialog. Conversely, when you post on any given subject, you must be willing to accept constructive criticism without posting a hostile or inflammatory response. Personal attacks of any kind will not be tolerated. Please work to insure that Reef Central remains a friendly and flame free site where everyone, especially newcomers, can feel free to post questions without fear of being unfairly criticized. Thank you for your cooperation.

The actual rules they voted are on here. The "white" list is way down towards the bottom. From most of what I've seen of the process for this, it's based primarily on emotion and the idea that reducing the number of species collected will reduce the work load of the department...actual fisheries science appears to have little to nothing to do with it.

Thanks for posting that, Bill. There are some notable omissions from that whitelist, including the two native Rhinecanthus species as well as a couple of other triggerfish (O. niger, M. vidua), and some butterflyfish (C. lunula in particular). Maybe those species are not common to the areas specified in the document?

im sure it wont affect all fishes from hawaii. looks to me like it will only be implemented on the big island. in the aquarium trade, we should be looking for ways to breed fish for aquarium use rather than collect from the wild anyways so this move makes sense and tank bred fish seems to do better in an aquarium in my opinion.

Back