Hawaiian Collection Legislation

It just irks me when politicians take such measures without addressing the tough issues. The longer they bury their heads in the sand over the "big issues" the more bleaching events there will be, and the whole issue of the ornamental fish trade will be a moot point. It's not a "me first" attitude. It's a "fix the real problems first" attitude.
These guys writing legislation aren't scientists. They are businessmen and career politicians that need businessmen to keep them afloat.

ah, ok now i see your perspective =) big business is pretty hard to impact unfortunetely and few/no one has the cahonas to do it. $, manpower etc. tough to come by in an elected position. At my work some major changes are needed... but the ROI is hard to justify... esp. in an economic downturn and everyone is worried about the next quarters profits. bleh - short term thinking

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11855173#post11855173 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chrissreef
ah, ok now i see your perspective =) big business is pretty hard to impact unfortunetely and few/no one has the cahonas to do it. $, manpower etc. tough to come by in an elected position. At my work some major changes are needed... but the ROI is hard to justify... esp. in an economic downturn and everyone is worried about the next quarters profits. bleh - short term thinking

If the guys writing legislation are so bound to business interests, short-term thinking will continue be the norm. Not many people out there have the "cahonas" to, in effect, tell the guy who signs his paycheck / insures his livelihood, to clean up his act or else. In accounting terms, this balance sheet will never balance.

Iniki literally obliterated the reef in Hawaii. To the point of no recovery - not because it was unhealthy but because there was no live coral left to seed the reef again.
Again, I've seen the damage from Iniki. It's pretty much total, but not really unusual for reefs. As long as fish populations are healthy and they keep space open, coral will recruit. It takes longer if there is 100% mortality than if mortality is less and there are local corals to repopulate, but it still happens.

since coral is illegal to collect or tamper with you cannot blame collectors for the lack of recovery of the reef.
I'm not blaming collectors for direct coral damage. I'm blaming fishermen in general as an indirect part of the problem. It's well documented that healthy fish populations are important in maintaining coral cover and allowing recovery after disturbances.

From my understanding it takes MUCH longer then 15 years for any coral reef to recover... healthy or not, coral doesn't grow over night...
There are numerous examples from around the Indo-Pacific and Australia with 100% coral mortality and subsequent recovery to 120% coral cover within 8-10 years. Hawai'i and the Caribbean are slower for a few reasons, but 16 years out there should still be significant signs of recovery. There aren't in most places.

Apples and oranges. The Caribbean is dominated by Acropora corals that grow fast enough to recover fairly quickly. We don't have these in Hawaii; our reefs are mostly Porites which grows very slowly by comparison. It'll come back, but that will take decades.
The Acropora in the Caribbean are extremely poor at recruiting to new habitats. Both species rely on fragmentation as the primary means of reproduction. It's because of Acropora that Caribbean reefs take longer than Indo-Pacific reefs to recover to pre-disturbance conditions. In the Indo-Pacific, Acropora and in some areas Pocillopora are the weedy colonizers. In the Caribbean, Agaricia and Porites are the weedy species and Acropora are the climax species and some of the last to come back. 98% of the Acropora were wiped out there 20 years ago. They only started coming back a few years ago and in some degraded areas, still haven't started coming back.

Hawai'i is on the long end of the recovery spectrum partly due to temp, partly due to the species there, but it's still very comparable to the Caribbean. IIRC, the 20 year figure I quoted earlier was from a study done in Hawai'i prior to Iniki.

Regardless of what the dominant and weedy species are and the amount of damage, 15+ years with no major recovery should set off alarm bells for anyone.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11856495#post11856495 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by greenbean36191
Hawai'i is on the long end of the recovery spectrum partly due to temp, partly due to the species there, but it's still very comparable to the Caribbean. IIRC, the 20 year figure I quoted earlier was from a study done in Hawai'i prior to Iniki.

Regardless of what the dominant and weedy species are and the amount of damage, 15+ years with no major recovery should set off alarm bells for anyone.

I wouldn't call it "no major recovery". Many of the affected areas have plenty of coral, but it's in the form of small Porites and Pocillopora heads. It'll take a lot of time before the thick blanket of finger coral characteristic of a mature and undisturbed Hawaiian reef regenerates itself.

Like I've said, it doesn't mean that Oahu's reefs are unhealthy - They're in an earlier stage of succession than the reefs in Kona. This type of reef naturally supports a different assortment of species and there's nothing wrong with that.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11847291#post11847291 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MiddletonMark

I have to laugh at Yellow Tangs being the focus here ... as neither my wife or I have ever kept a Yellow Tang

Ditto :) Never liked em, never kept one and never will. Not that that should take away anything from this converstation though, just my opinion on YT's. IMO they should be starting at $50 for a small, not $12.99 like I see them around here on sale! Heck, most our livestock should cost much more (gaining enemies by the second here :lol: )

I would like to believe that an increase in regulation/price/population decrease/ect./ect. would lead to greater strides in succesfully grown captive species. IMO if humans have the ability to grow rat hearts, surely there's atleast one that can be succesful at something more importent to me.(atleast until I find a rat that needs a new heart)"How much is that surgery?"LOL

I think we would all like to believe that would lead to greater strides in successfully getting more tank bred fish on the market. The reality is that it is not that easy, take a look at what F. Baensch @ RCT does. There is a reason he only breeds high end angels. time, money, and effort. Oceanic Insutitue bred some flame angels but didn't have much color and the cost of doing them is not feasible.
Now tangs is a whole new game. I don't even know if any tangs have been tank bred.

The fact of the matter is if you stop getting fish from the ocean then they will be unobtainable to most hobbyist.

The real problem lies in fish that are caught for food. Imagine the amount of tons of fish that come out of the ocean daily for people to eat. Then think about the weight of fish coming out of the ocean daily for the ornamental trade.

But if we are to be critical of ornamental fish then we should start with the third world countries. It is not uncommon for divers to have major handicaps from diving accidents due to lack of knowledge and the quest for more money. I don't really want to get into their collection practices.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11884241#post11884241 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pactrop
The real problem lies in fish that are caught for food. Imagine the amount of tons of fish that come out of the ocean daily for people to eat. Then think about the weight of fish coming out of the ocean daily for the ornamental trade.

Pat has a point there. The only fish I'm aware of ever having it's populations reduced to a dangerous level in the ornamental trade is the bangaii. When it comes to food fish, there is a quite a long list of fish that have severely reduced populations or even become commercially extinct in some regions.

Now saying the food fisheries are worse is not an excuse to say we shouldn't see some regulation in ornamental fisheries. But it should be well thought out regulation with a scientific basis, not a political basis.

funny, i just saw a commercial fishing show on the discovery chanel and they mentioned how their lives are harder since everyone ELSE is overfishing their waters.

umm helloo, you're fishing in them too!

we're all part of the problem and need to stop the finger pointing.

Good discussion.

I do think increased protection is needed, everywhere, but not by way of this bill. That bill is written so bad, I can't even start to deal with the specifics.

I prefer legislation that creates sanctuaries and protects large areas of habitat. Not only from collection by the aquarium trade, but also focuses on other anthropological impacts, from fishing to runoff.. etc..

In all my diving and time in the ocean, I have seen nothing more beneficial to any coastal in-shore ecosystems than just drawing a line in the sand and calling it off-limits.

I think limits and bans on species are much harder to regulate and enforce, and do not work as well. It does not address multiple impacts, and its focus is to narrow. I think focusing on species (except in critical circumstances and pelagic species) are not as favorable as an habitat centered approach and protecting large sections of an ecosystem, and everything that resides in it.

I personally think this hobby is a major luxury, and would not mind a major increase in the costs associated with certain livestock. I do not think having ridiculously cheap wild cuaght livestock is a "good" thing, personally.

I find it almost laughable that a snorkel boat company wrote that bill with such antimosity, going as far as the whole pedophile comment. I would like to hear him talk about Hanauma bay

Last edited:
Hbtank, excellent point(s). I agree totally with you!
Also i believe we should promote sustainable harvest, i.e frag the mother colony coral(s) leaving the fragged coral to stimulate new faster growth and also provide for the trade.
The fish is alittle bit more complicated, but the limit on how much per day might be a good way given the current status of the reefs. higher prices would occour but it makes people realise that fish are not just disposable, I would say you will have far less fatalities and more knowledgable hobbists with the higher prices!
Also taking alittle more pressure off the reefs.
I'm on this forum because i love fish, corals etc. it gives me great pleasure to experience these at home, but i try in an ethical way to enjoy these and also have a positive impact on the reef, but its hard because of our ways we treat the reefs. We just take without any thought on the impact.
We would all GAIN from more healthy reefs, everywhere!
Regulation on certain species is needed to maintain optimum balance on the reef, every animal has its niche where it provides a natural service to the reef i.e tangs-herbivores to maintain algae at low levels and prevent corals from being smoothered.

i dont understand why any reefer would oppose these laws/bills. its in our own interest. we all love having a tank because its like our own little bit of a real reef. but if we keep doing this. using reef cought fish. it will eventually desimate the reefs. even at a max of say 5 yellow tangs a day per persone. what if theres 100 ppl bagging that day. thats stoopid. whats the matter with tank bred fish ?i think all fish in the UK are tank bred ( all that i have ever seen in shops ) and they are perfectly fine.

just my view :)

The Bill as it currently is written:

"Report Title:
Fish Replenishment Areas; Ornamental Fish
Description:
Requires the department of land and natural resources to establish a network of fish replenishment areas on Maui and Oahu with the option of establishing them on additional islands as warranted in the future. (SB3225 SD2)

THE SENATE
S.B. NO.

TWENTY-FOURTH LEGISLATURE, 2008
S.D. 2
STATE OF HAWAII
A BILL FOR AN ACT
RELATING TO FISHING.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF HAWAII:

SECTION 1. The legislature finds that 2008 was designated as the international year of the reef. The health of Hawaii's reefs and the ecosystems associated with them are an integral part of the health of Hawaii's economy. Ornamental reef fish that are critical to the health of Hawaii's reefs are being collected for aquarium use, thereby impacting fish populations and habitats. With limited regulation for effective management in place, the reef habitats around Maui and Oahu are being degraded and fish populations are decreasing. The legislature acknowledges that fish left on the reef benefit the reef, as well as Hawaii's economy.

The legislature further finds that there are increasing and competing interests between people who want to view marine ornamental or aquarium species in the wild and people who want to collect or make a living from the sale of these ornamental marine species. There is a need for comprehensive and sustainable strategies to manage the taking of ornamental marine species, as well as for species conservation in the wild.

The legislature further finds that the aquarium fishery is the most highly valued commercial fishery in state waters, with nearly two hundred commercial fishers presently holding valid aquarium permits for this fishery. Similarly, snorkeling and scuba diving, particularly among Hawaii's visitors, are important activities that contribute significantly to Hawaii's economy and that depend upon healthy marine environments. For instance, a 2003 study of Kihei reefs in South Maui by the Hawaii Coral Reef Initiative concluded that those reefs alone contributed a net of $28,000,000 per year to the State's economy, with twenty‑nine per cent coming from the snorkeling and diving industry. A healthy and vibrant fishery supports Hawaii's economic well-being.

The legislature further finds that the aquarium fishery in West Hawaii has been managed by previous legislative mandate through Act 306, Session Laws of Hawaii 1998. Act 306 established the West Hawaii regional fisheries management area, extending from Upolu Point to South Point, and created a network of fish replenishment areas, comprising thirty‑five per cent of this coastline. The collecting of marine ornamental species is prohibited within fish replenishment areas.

The results of the management in West Hawaii are clear. Compared to the period before the fish replenishment areas were in effect, 1999 to 2000, recent data indicates that the overall number of yellow tangs along the West Hawaii coast has increased by thirty‑five per cent and the number of yellow tangs within the fish replenishment areas has increased by ninety‑five per cent. These increases have occurred in conjunction with an expansion of the aquarium fishery. Fishery reports note the total number of yellow tangs collected has increased by eighty‑one per cent; the value of the yellow tang catch has increased by one hundred sixty‑four per cent and the price paid to the fisherman for each yellow tang has increased by forty‑six per cent. These results have proven positive for the reef ecosystem and beneficial to snorkeling, diving, and other non‑extractive activities that rely upon abundant marine life, while at the same time sustaining a viable commercial marine ornamental fishery.

The purpose of this Act is to establish a similar, but regionally appropriate, fishery management strategy for the islands of Maui and Oahu.

SECTION 2. Chapter 188F, Hawaii Revised Statutes, is amended by amending its title to read as follows:

"[WEST] HAWAII REGIONAL FISHERY MANAGEMENT [AREA] AREAS"

SECTION 3. Chapter 188F, Hawaii Revised Statutes, is amended by designating sections 188F-1 through 188F-5 as part I, entitled:

"PART I. WEST HAWAII REGIONAL FISHERY MANAGEMENT AREA"

SECTION 4. Section 188F-4, Hawaii Revised Statutes, is amended to read as follows:

"[[]§188F-4[]] West Hawaii regional fishery management area plan. The department shall develop a West Hawaii regional fishery management area plan that identifies and designates appropriate areas of the management area as follows:

(1) Designates a minimum of thirty per cent of coastal waters in the West Hawaii regional fishery management area as fish replenishment areas in which aquarium fish collection is prohibited;

(2) Establishes a day-use mooring buoy system along the coastline of the West Hawaii regional fishery management area and designates some high-use areas where no anchoring is allowed;

(3) Establishes a portion of the fish replenishment areas as fish reserves where no fishing of reef-dwelling fish is allowed; [and]

(4) Designates areas where the use of gill nets as set nets shall be prohibited[.];

(5) Conducts a continuing stock assessment for yellow tangs in West Hawaii waters every two years beginning in 2010, based upon the best available data, and seeks to extend the stock assessment to a statewide scope if sufficient data is available;

(6) Begins implementation of a limited entry program for aquarium fishing in West Hawaii before June 1, 2009, and establishes criteria for documenting and certifying participation in the fishery; and

(7) Develops appropriate criteria for classifying species as being of sufficient concern for a harvest prohibition. A listing of the species of special concern for West Hawaii shall be completed before January 1, 2009."

SECTION 5. Chapter 188F, Hawaii Revised Statutes, is amended by adding a new section to part I to be appropriately designated and to read as follows:

"§188F‑A West Hawaii regional fishery management area; exemptions. The West Hawaii regional fishery management area shall be exempt from any aquarium management provisions for other regional fishery management areas unless the provisions specifically apply to the entire State."

SECTION 6. Chapter 188F, Hawaii Revised Statutes, is amended by adding four new parts to be appropriately designated and to read as follows:

"PART . OAHU REGIONAL FISHERY MANAGEMENT AREA

§188F‑B Definitions. As used in this part, unless the context requires otherwise:

"Management area" means the Oahu regional fishery management area established in section 188F‑C.

"Plan" means the Oahu regional fishery management area plan established in section 188F‑E.

§188F‑C Oahu regional fishery management area; establishment. The department shall establish the Oahu regional fishery management areas to improve the management of consumptive and nonconsumptive uses of aquatic resources encompassing the State's marine waters surrounding the island of Oahu.

§188F‑D Oahu regional fishery management area; purpose. The purpose of the Oahu regional fishery management area shall be to:

(1) Ensure the sustainability of the State's nearshore ocean resources;

(2) Provide management plans utilizing the full range of management measures based upon the best available scientific information, as well as implementing rules for minimizing user conflicts and resource depletion in the commercial aquarium fishery on the island of Oahu;

(3) Identify areas and resources of statewide significance for protection;

(4) Carry out scientific research and monitoring of the nearshore resources and environment; and

(5) Provide for substantive involvement of community stakeholders and representatives of the city and county of Honolulu and the community in resource management decisions for this area through facilitated dialogues with community residents and resource users.

§188F‑E Oahu regional fishery management area plan. The department shall:

(1) Establish a network of fish replenishment areas on Oahu that comprise at least thirty per cent of the coastline, but no more than thirty‑five per cent, before January 1, 2010. Aquarium fish collecting shall be prohibited within the fish replenishment areas;

(2) Designate the specific areas for aquarium closure within fish replenishment areas and other restrictions after consultation and substantive dialogue with community stakeholders and resource users;

(3) Develop appropriate criteria for classifying species as being of sufficient concern for a harvest prohibition; provided that the listing of these species of special concern for Oahu shall be completed before January 1, 2010;

(4) Implement a limited entry program for aquarium fishing on Oahu before June 1, 2010; and

(5) Establish criteria for documenting and certifying participation in the fishery.

§188F‑F Review. A review of the effectiveness of the Oahu regional fishery management area plan shall be conducted every five years by the department in cooperation with the University of Hawaii. Based upon its review, the department shall submit a report of its findings and recommendations to the legislature no later than twenty days prior to the convening of each regular session following the review.

PART . MAUI REGIONAL FISHERY MANAGEMENT AREA

§188F‑G Definitions. As used in this part, unless the context requires otherwise:

"Management area" means the Maui regional fishery management area established in section 188F‑H.

"Plan" means the Maui regional fishery management area plan established in section 188F‑J.

§188F‑H Maui regional fishery management area; establishment. The department shall establish the Maui regional fishery management area to improve the management of consumptive and nonconsumptive uses of aquatic resources encompassing the State's marine areas surrounding the island of Maui.

§188F‑I Maui regional fishery management area; purpose. The purpose of the Maui regional fishery management area shall be to:

(1) Ensure the sustainability of the State's nearshore ocean resources;

(2) Provide management plans utilizing the full range of management measures based upon the best available scientific information, as well as implementing rules for minimizing user conflicts and resource depletion in the commercial aquarium fishery on the island of Maui;

(3) Identify areas and resources of statewide significance for protection;

(4) Carry out scientific research and monitoring of the nearshore resources and environment; and

(5) Provide for substantive involvement of community stakeholders and representatives of the county of Maui and the community in resource management decisions for this area through facilitated dialogues with community residents and resource users.

§188F‑J Maui regional fishery management area plan. The department shall:

(1) Establish a network of fish replenishment areas on Maui that comprise at least thirty per cent of the coastline, but no more than thirty‑five per cent, before January 1, 2010. Aquarium fish collecting shall be prohibited within the fish replenishment areas;

(2) Designate the specific areas for aquarium closure within fish replenishment areas and other restrictions after consultation and substantive dialogue with community stakeholders and resource users;

(3) Develop appropriate criteria for classifying species as being of sufficient concern for a harvest prohibition; provided that the listing of these species of special concern for Maui shall be completed before January 1, 2010;

(4) Implement a limited entry program for aquarium fishing on Maui before June 1, 2010; and

(5) Establish criteria for documenting and certifying participation in the fishery.

§188F‑K Review. A review of the effectiveness of the Maui regional fishery management area plan shall be conducted every five years by the department in cooperation with the University of Hawaii. The department shall submit a report of its findings and recommendations based on the review to the legislature no later than twenty days prior to the convening of each regular session following the review.

PART . OTHER REGIONAL FISHERY MANAGEMENT AREAS

§188F‑L Other regional fishery management areas. The department, by rule, may establish other regional fishery management areas and limited entry programs on additional islands within the State if the department deems it warranted by future circumstances.

PART . OTHER AQUARIUM MANAGEMENT PROVISIONS

§188F‑M Other aquarium management provisions. The department of land and natural resources shall:

(1) Evaluate and, if necessary, revise the statewide aquarium catch report required by section 189‑3 to provide more accurate information on daily catch and the effort with enhanced geographic resolution;

(2) Seek to verify all aquarium catch reports with wholesaler purchase reports. The department shall have the authority to examine the books, records, and holding facilities of all aquarium wholesalers to provide an accurate estimate of the catch in the Hawaii aquarium fishery;

(3) Institute a series of sequentially escalating penalties, which may include suspension or revocation of aquarium or wholesale dealer permits by civil proceedings, for individuals found to be in violation of monthly reporting requirements; and

(4) Reexamine the language of its commercial marine license to ensure that it contains a clear right to inspection of catch and suitable consequences for failing to submit monthly catch reports so that the department can more effectively and responsibly manage the fishery.

§188F‑N Rules. The department shall adopt rules to effectuate the purpose of this chapter in accordance with chapter 91."

SECTION 7. Section 188F-6, Hawaii Revised Statutes, is repealed.

["[§188F-6] Rules. The department shall adopt rules to effectuate the purposes of this chapter in accordance with chapter 91."]

SECTION 8. Chapter 188F, Hawaii Revised Statutes, is amended by adding four new sections to be appropriately designated and to read as follows:

"§188F‑O Rights of inspection. (a) Notwithstanding section 187A‑15, any agent of the department of land and natural resources who has been conferred powers of police officers by the board of land and natural resources and any other duly authorized law enforcement officer of the State shall have the authority to the conduct examinations and inspections of:

(1) The contents of any bag or container of any kind that the officer reasonably believes may be used to carry aquatic life for which a commercial marine license or aquarium permit is required under title 12, subtitle 5, Hawaii Administrative Rules or any other state or federal statute; and

(2) Any area of a conveyance that the officer reasonably believes may be used to transport aquatic life for which a commercial marine license or aquarium permit is required under the rules in paragraph (1) or any other state or federal statute or rule; for compliance with the terms or conditions of the commercial marine license or aquarium permit issued under the rules in paragraph (1) or any statute or rule. Written consent to inspection shall be a condition of the commercial marine license or aquarium permit issued under rules in paragraph (1) by the department. No person shall refuse any enforcement officer of the department or any other enforcement officer of the State an examination and inspection for purposes of determining compliance with the terms of any commercial marine license or aquarium permit relating to aquatic life. Refusal to grant an examination or inspection shall result in immediate revocation of the commercial marine license or aquarium permit.

(b) Every individual to whom a commercial marine license or aquarium permit has been issued shall physically possess the license or permit at all times when engaged in commercial fishing activities and shall not permit any other person to carry, display, or use the license or permit in any manner.

(c) Any authorized officer may demand that an individual who the officer reasonably believes is engaged in taking aquatic life that requires a commercial marine license or aquarium permit show the license or permit.

(d) The applicant shall be informed that the applicant may refuse or withdraw consent to submit to inspection for compliance, but that the applicant's commercial marine license or aquarium permit will be immediately suspended and may be subsequently revoked by the department.

(e) Notwithstanding section 187A-13, it shall be grounds for the department to immediately suspend and begin proceedings to revoke any license or permit that a person may have authorizing the taking of aquatic resources if the person:

(1) Refuses to show a required commercial marine license or aquarium permit; or

(2) Refuses to give or withdraws consent to an inspection of a bag or other closed container that the officer reasonably believes could be used to take or transport aquatic resources for which a license or permit is required.

(f) Before a commercial marine license or aquarium permit may be issued, an applicant shall agree to comply with all terms and conditions of the applicable license or permit and all applicable laws and rules, including consenting to inspection pursuant to this section, for determination of compliance with the terms and conditions of the license or permit by a duly authorized representative of the department.

(g) The department shall create a valid administrative commercial aquarium inspection scheme to enforce its aquatic rules.

§188F‑P South Maui fish replenishment area; interim. (a) The department shall establish an interim fish replenishment area, to take effect immediately, for south Maui comprising the coastline from Kahekili Park to Ahihi Kinau.

(b) The department shall develop appropriate criteria for classifying species as being of sufficient concern for a harvest prohibition, including that the fish are rare, at risk, or do not survive well during transport and captivity. The harvest prohibition shall include bandit angelfish, flame angelfish, masked angelfish, Hawaiian longfin anthias, Tinker's butterflyfish, bluestripe butterfly fish, multiband butterflyfish, fourspot butterflyfish, ornate butterflyfish, oval butterflyfish, dragon moray, longnose hawkfish, flame wrasse, Hawaiian cleaner wrasse, psychedelic wrasse, shortnose wrasse, Hawaiian lionfish, Achilles tang, Moorish idol, elegant anthias, Hawaiian yellow anthias, pufferfish, Elizabeth's anthias, sunrise basslet, sunrise wrasse, orangemargin butterflyfish, and brownbarred butterflyfish.

§188F‑Q Permits; generally. Any permit issued pursuant to this chapter shall only be valid for the regional fishery management area for which the permit was issued.

§188F‑R Penalty. (a) Any person violating a fishing limitation or restriction under this chapter, including any rule adopted pursuant thereto, shall be fined:

(1) $50 per fish for a first offense;

(2) $100 per fish for a second offense; and

(3) $200 per fish for a third offense.

(b) Any person who commits a fourth offense shall have the person's permit revoked."

SECTION 9. This Act does not affect rights and duties that matured, penalties that were incurred, and proceedings that were begun, before its effective date.

SECTION 10. In codifying the new sections added by sections 5, 6, and 8 of this Act, the revisor of statutes shall substitute appropriate section numbers for the letters used in designating the new sections in this Act.

SECTION 11. Statutory material to be repealed is bracketed and stricken. New statutory material is underscored.

SECTION 12. This Act shall take effect on July 1, 2050."

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2008/bills/SB3225_SD2_.htm

Note the apperant typo in section 12 (last line of the bill) giving the bill an effective date of July 1, 2050.

off, wrong and wrong

off, wrong and wrong

".... if theres 100 ppl bagging that day.

thats stoopid.

whats the matter with tank bred fish ?

i think all fish in the UK are tank bred ( all that i have ever seen in shops ) and they are perfectly fine...."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You mean commercialy permitted collectors or the hobbyists ?
What tank bred fish?
In the age of shock and awe in Iraq...there are so few tank raised fish and mostly ocellaris clowns at that
You could not be more wrong. You saw virtually nothing tank raised in he UK unless it was freshwater and some clownfish and maybe a dotty or two.
I wouldn't use the word "stoopid" to often in posts such as that.
Steve

From what I know, nobody has ever bred any tangs before. The farthest I know anyone has gotten the fry is about 40 days. I think they need to get them about 4 to 6 months along.

Last edited:
aquaculture good??Sez who?

aquaculture good??Sez who?

The notion of aquaculture in tropical marines is but a rumor and a bad plot to put fisherman out of business....
Its a false and fraudulent panacea, but don't worry, its a huge failure and thats not so bad.
20 years of heavy hype with little to show but a record of producing little more of significance but ocellaris clownfish.[ which increase demand for wild anemones harmng wild populations!]

The real reef gives life, sustenance, food and jobs....to millions ; a wonderful thing.
To think that aquaculture will do some service by displacing and /or ruin fisherfolk is an arrogant folly.
Its an incompetent conspiracy by a minority to convince investors to give them the real gold...ie the funding to initiate their cycle of failure....which they then lie about to get more funding.
Aquaculture of ornamental fishes produces small fortunes from larger ones and seeks to replace the fruits of the fisherman with nothing but more appeals to funding.
Feed a fisherman and his family...buy wild caught!
steve

without Frank from RTC there would be no small interruptus in the states (all stay in Japan or go to hong kong) resplendens (illegal to collect) and debelious (nearly impossible to get)

I would say aquaculture is a definite in the near future on a larger scale by someone who is dedicated and passionate about it. there will be little impact on the collectors since not everything is possible to breed or you need a ridiculous amount of space.

there is a lot more fish besides clownfish that have been bred that many people aren't even aware of it. So to say it is a failure is stupid, since it most definitely isn't.

Explain how tank breeding clowns increases demand for wild populations?? it is exactly the opposite since TR clowns dont carry many of the diseases wild specimens do... I dont see your logic :)

Last edited:
decimating carpet anemones to house Nemos

decimating carpet anemones to house Nemos

You don't get it at all.
Tank raised clowns are produced in large volume.
This has increased demand for wild anemones to keep with them.
Taking slow growing wild carpet anemones to go with volumes of domestic clownfishes subtracts wild clownfish generations....has decimated wild clownfish populations.
Steve

Back