Hello, Geezer coming back to this forum. Paul B

My grandfather was a semi pro. He was a dentist by trade, but spent a life taking photos (10s of thousands) and had more camera and darkroom equipment than the local newspaper or "pros". He was the official photographer for the Fairmont State College football team (among others, i think WVU at one point) as well.

Anyway - the point is that I grew up around it and had my own darkroom by maybe age 12 or so. I am not so sure that I am a good photographer myself. One thing that I learned many years ago was that if you can't take stunning photographs with a $3 disposable, then a $10,000 setup is not going to help you.

You Sir, are a natural.

Thank you Bean. But the camera is doing most of the work, I am just there to hold the thing. :D

I used to have all the Nikon cameras and lenses and never took really good pictures. It is much easier now as the camera knows how to do most of the thinking for us. I am also lucky that I live in this place which has many subjects and old structures that haven't fallen down yet and to also be surrounded by an ocean.

I can't wait until it warms up a bit so I can try this thing out at the waters edge.

I also think most people don't (or can't) get up early enough to get the right lighting. Being retired helps a lot and I was never a sleeper and wish I didn't have to sleep as there aren't enough hours in the day. :cool:

It is fairly warm here on Long Island today which is unusual for February but this week it is going down to 9 degrees so I went to the beach. I will also collect water here today.

This is my walk there which is only a couple of hundred yards.
Walk to beach.JPG

176 steps down
Stairs to beach.JPG

Driftwood
Tree on beach.JPG

There was a bunch of seagulls on the sand so I scared them. Sorry birds.

Lone bird beach.JPG

As I was walking on the beach waiting for the sunrise (which never happened and it is now 9:30) I saw this feather just stuck in the sand like this.
Maybe the seagulls buried one of their own.
Feather.jpg

Thank you Bean. But the camera is doing most of the work, I am just there to hold the thing. :D

I used to have all the Nikon cameras and lenses and never took really good pictures. It is much easier now as the camera knows how to do most of the thinking for us. I am also lucky that I live in this place which has many subjects and old structures that haven't fallen down yet and to also be surrounded by an ocean.

That is just not knowing how to leverage the equipment. The camera can't identify/compose a scene - that is where the art of photography comes in. Something you clearly are good at. The rest is just mechanical ;)

Actually my new phone is so good that it leads me to the spot and aims itself. I just have to take it to Starbucks afterwards. :p

I walked all over the beach this morning waiting for the sunrise which never came. It was just cloudy. Now the sun just came out and it is 10:30.
I will try again tomorrow but it is going down to 9 degrees. :sick:

LOL. Actually I just came back with 40 gallons of water. Cold water. I took it from here which is the same beach but a few hundred yards west in a place where I can back my Jeep up to the surf.

Never mind, my photo resizing didn't work...Twice. Make believe I am here collecting water with Angelina Jolie and she is testing it for salinity and phosphates.

I will try again later I have to get more water now.

The water temp is 45 and the salinity is 0.019

Last edited:
I am cleaning the water now because I get it from the surf and it is filled with chopped up seaweeds and particles. Then I need to remove the silicates or my sponge will cover my house. Then I have to heat it up a lot so this won't be ready for 2 days.

I collected fifty gallons

IMG_0324.JPG

I decided to drag out this Eheim filter that I haven't used in decades. I wanted to run NSW through it to try to remove the silicates that are very high here in the sea.

The thing made a grinding noise and just didn't work.

Maybe this is the problem. :unsure:
IMG_0343.JPG

Back