Hello / My TANK

Here is where Im currently at. Just thought Id post a new pic. Id like to get some more fish, and MORE CORAL!

Updated Full Tank Shot, Also got a new Yellow Eye Kole Tang. Awesome fish!

Purple Doty Back

clown has finally hosted the NEM :frog:

Damn the new fish died. First it was my purple dotty back (last week), I suspected it was the Kohl Tang. Then today the Kohl Tang died and my Flame Angel (today). I hope I don't loose anymore fish. I guess its my fault for not having a Q Tank! How many of you guys have Q-Tank. Also, I will never buy a fish unless the LFS has had it for awhile. I got this Kohl tang straight from the bag as it was floating in the LFS tank. (DAMN IT!)

I have never done q-tank and only fish I lost was yellow tang but because I tried to introduce two at once an one killed other. IMO if you provide fish with the proper nutritional an dietary needs they can fight of most diseases. This is just my opinion and has served me well.

I love when people try to advocate for putting fish into a small qt, and there the same who complain about yellow tangs( tangs in general) being in small tanks. I doubt placing a fish into a small tank for weeks can be beneficial then giving them most comfortable environment.

Now a hospital (medical) tank. I am all for! Being able to provide medications to a specific fish is a-ok

Again all my opinion

Last edited:
I have never done q-tank and only fish I lost was yellow tang but because I tried to introduce two at once an one killed other. IMO if you provide fish with the proper nutritional an dietary needs they can fight of most diseases. This is just my opinion and has served me well.

I love when people try to advocate for putting fish into a small qt, and there the same who complain about yellow tangs( tangs in general) being in small tanks. I doubt placing a fish into a small tank for weeks can be beneficial then giving them most comfortable environment.

Now a hospital (medical) tank. I am all for! Being able to provide medications to a specific fish is a-ok

Again all my opinion

Thanks man, I didnt think of it that way. Because my QT Tank would probably be a 10gal tank. Thanks for your opinion, Im pretty new at this so it all helps. On the flip side, my wife said at least we can get a coral beauty now. Itll be a while!

Sorry to hear that... Ich??? I have tried getting fish from the local stores as well as online... For me, I have had way better luck with the fish online... I know what everyone is thinking about seeing the fish and makingmsuremit eats etc... But of the 9 fish currently in my tank, only 2 are local... And yes I have had the occasional DOA... But with a 15 day gaurantee, I quickly was refunded the cost... I don't quarrantine, and have purchased fish here locally and had ICH wipe out everything... But I still take my chances...

Forgot to mention... The fish that wiped everything out was the Yellow eye kohl also

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that... Ich??? I have tried getting fish from the local stores as well as online... For me, I have had way better luck with the fish online... I know what everyone is thinking about seeing the fish and makingmsuremit eats etc... But of the 9 fish currently in my tank, only 2 are local... And yes I have had the occasional DOA... But with a 15 day gaurantee, I quickly was refunded the cost... I don't quarrantine, and have purchased fish here locally and had ICH wipe out everything... But I still take my chances...

Forgot to mention... The fish that wiped everything out was the Yellow eye kohl also

Yeah I agree with FASTnDIRTY in regards to the online purchases. I like to help the local store out, but until the quality of livestock goes up I prefer the online store (just my experiences).

Thanks man, i like that 15 day gaurantee. I dont think it was ick, my Kohl tang looked like it wasnt eatting. I put nori all kinds of stuff in the tank, it never showed any interest. It would just graze off of the algae. The other fish didnt have any white spots, and they didnt rub themselves on the rocks, nothing?

Man, that sucks! Sorry to hear it.

I added 2 new fish (from LFS) last Saturday; a Royal Gramma and a Coral Beauty. The Coral Beauty was dead within 12 hours, the Royal Gramma seems to be doing well. He was hiding in the rocks for the first few days, but is coming out more now and is eating well and looks healthy. I was pretty concerned when I found the Coral Beauty dead; and I'm also considering getting a Q-tank.

I don't see the problem with keeping the fish in a Q-tank for a couple of weeks, for observation before adding to your main tank. It wouldn't be much different than the LFS holding tanks. I figure a 20 gal. long will accommodate most fish I'm planning to purchase, and may be worth the investment when you consider the possibility of loosing all your livestock.

Back