Help ID, Baby anemone?

ratienza80

Hi everyone, recently, I lost my H. magnifica and was able to take him out of the tank before it did a number on it.

Anyway, today, I noticed this little guy on the rock. I don't know what it is so I'm hoping someone can ID it for me. He's very tiny, about one centimeter in diameter. I have no clue what it is so I appreciate any comments. It looks like a baby anemone, but I may be wrong.

I uploaded the attachments, I hope the pics are large enough to see. I don't know how to directly load the pics onto the post.

Thanks!!

Ron

Attachments

• IMG_0570.jpg
    IMG_0570.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0571.jpg
    IMG_0571.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0572.jpg
    IMG_0572.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0573.jpg
    IMG_0573.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 0
Help ID, Baby anemone?

It's very cute but also very hard to see... At first glance I thought it looked more like a polyp than an anemone .
But you may want to google corynactis Californica or corynactis viridis (!??)

I'm hoping others will add on more suggestions....

Last edited:
It's very cute but also very hard to see... At first glance I thought it looked more like a polyp than an anemone .
But you may want to google corynactis Californica or corynactis viridis (!??)

I'm hoping others will add on more suggestions....

Thanks for the input!! I looked at the corynactis California and it looks similar except it isn't red. Don't know if that makes a difference though.

Pseudocorynactis probably, aka ball anemone. Not invasive, but requires target feeding. White or orange tips. Very cool.

Yeah, looks like a pseudocorynactis. Thanks for the help guys? How large do it they get?

I recall reading that there are multiple species. A Caribbean one that gets quite large and a pacific variety that stay small. I have had both. Former can get to be golf ball sized; latter size of a nickel as previously stated. Yours looks to be the latter probably.

Back