Help installing RODI waste line under kitchen sink

92reefer

I just purchased a new RODI unit and the best option for placement is under the sink.

I need some help/advice as to where and hot to install the waste water drain line.

I have a BRS 7 stage unit that came with a saddle clamp and john guest fitting.

Question #1: I believe the cold water supply that I need to tap into is on the right hand side? The left side supply has 2 hoses, 1 going to the faucet up top and 1 going toward the dishwasher. I'm assuming the left side is the hot water side since it's feeding the dishwasher, so the right side should be the cold supply which should feed the RODI input?

Question #2: I believe I have to drill and mount the saddle valve before the P Trap on the right side drain but the saddle valve is too wide and will not allow it to mate the clamp to the plastic PVC pipe. I have some room to mount above the P trap on the disposal side but I was told not to do that as drain can become clogged from debris. Then I thought about installing on the horizontal "top" of the right side P-pipe but then I'm worrying about sewer gas feeding back into the RODI unit which could be very bad?

Any advice/suggestions greatly appreciated..

Attachments

• RO DI Waste Line installation point.jpg
    RO DI Waste Line installation point.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 1
Use this for a supply of cold water:
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/john-guest-angle-stop-valve.html 1/4" unit.
Tap into drain over the trap

Thanks for the advice. I already have a 90 degree 3/8 adapter with the John Guest fitting. Then I plumb the ball valve off that so I can manually turn the supply to the RODI on and off.

Can you please elaborate as to which spot to tap please? Are you referring to the Straight pipe that is towards the back of the cabinet as that pipe is thicker and the saddle valve clamp won't work on that pipe? I can mount it by drilling a hole into the side of the horizontal pipe just above the p-trap on the right side but I'm worried about potential leakage/drainage and whether or not the sewer gas on that side of the trap may leach back into the RO/DI unit? If neither of these is a concern I believe that is my solution?

Last edited:
Right side above trap below plastic nut where it is thickest, below brass transition nut would be where I would do it. Trap still prevents any gas coming back.

Right side above trap below plastic nut where it is thickest, below brass transition nut would be where I would do it. Trap still prevents any gas coming back.

Vinny that's exactly where I intended to put the saddle valve but it's too narrow to allow installation on that portion of the pipe.

Any other suggestion as to where I could install it?

Well I got tired of debating and took a chance. I drilled on the right side just above the P-trap but just below the tightening knuckle. I was hoping that the hole I drilled was just above the water level in the P-trap but a bit of water trickled out.

I'm hoping this is OK though as the waste line is pressurized when making water and should flow into the clamp and drain with no problem. Likewise the system should have enough pressure and the BRS shutoff valve should prevent any drain water from leaking back into the membrane/system?

Back