HELP! Leopard Wrasse broke its beak :(

cet98

"feed ur reef...feed it!"
I just noticed yesterday that my beautiful Potter's Leopard has somehow broken off its top tooth (beak)

It must have gotten spooked and likely ran into a rock or a glass panel :(

thankfully it is still eating mysis, flakes and pellets and still hunts around the rock work...

my question is simple, will the tooth/beak ever grow back or will this be its "new look" for the remainder of its like....

thanks!

It has been my experience that physical injuries that do not restrict eating are often overcome.

thanks for the reply Steve....still want to know if its tooth with grow back or not though....

Id try and medicate if possible for the best chance. I had a potters where the same thing happened and eventually died. How long have you had it??

I just had an exquisite wrasse with an injured mouth. It didnt look infected, but I was afraid it might get infected, so I medicated with furan-2 and he had a terrible reaction to it and died 36 hours later. So like someone else said, I would avoid medication unless it actually looks infected.

My timor wrasse lost upper and lower jaws. Had him a good 2 years but it eventually has led to its demise. It got skinnier and skinnier and now have not seen it for two days. I think if it is in a peaceful tank with no aggressive fish it should be fine, if in an aggressive tank might be ok for the sort term. Just my experience with my timor wrasse

thanks everyone....no intention of medicating it.
it eats extremely well and still continues to hunt.
it sounds like the tooth won't grow back based on other's similar accounts which saddens me still....
it looks so weird to me :(

thanks again for all your input.....Happy Independence Day to all :)

Key is that it is 'still eating'. My own experience with mouth damage in fish is that it is not immediately fatal, though it may mean that the fish is not as competitive and thus problematic in the longer term. I had a pyramid butterfly with mouth damage, and though I was able to successfully treat it, the fish remained the smallest of a quartet and eventually failed to show one morning. In retrospect, and in the future, any fish that has some kind of physical damage I would not put into an aggressive, competitive mixed fish display.

so, here we are almost 6 months later and I am happy to report that in fact, the top tooth of my big fat Potters Leopard Wrasse is slowly growing back :thumbsup:

It has never lost it's appetite or natural instinct to hunt. I am thrilled to see it's once "hard to look at" broken face starting to look "normal" once more ;)

thanks again for all the input and Happy Holidays to all!!!

cheers! :beer:

Good to hear!

I had a yellow watchman goby break his lower jaw diving into the bottom of a transport bag repeatedly. It was split right down the middle and hanging loose. I used selcon a little more frequently and that was it.

They can be tough little buggers for sure!

so, here we are almost 6 months later and I am happy to report that in fact, the top tooth of my big fat Potters Leopard Wrasse is slowly growing back :thumbsup:

It has never lost it's appetite or natural instinct to hunt. I am thrilled to see it's once "hard to look at" broken face starting to look "normal" once more ;)

thanks again for all the input and Happy Holidays to all!!!

cheers! :beer:

Awesome news. Love a happy ending.

Back