Help me find Ocean life before I go crazy!

i got one 12 bucks went to key largo not much luck caught a large brittle star!

I never found any good spots off the beach in Key Largo.

Drive another hour down the Keys, hey, it's a relaxing drive if you enjoy the scenery. Marathon has lots of motels, and the next few Keys off the south west end of the Seven Mile Bridge has a number of good spots, depending on what you want to collect.

I guess that's the next question; just what is it you want to find?

I've snorkeled spots where you can find Gorgonians, zoas, palys, a variety of snails, emerald crabs, serpent and brittle stars, blue leg hermits, yellow sand sifting sea cucumbers, several different anemones, white & red flame scallops, coral banded shrimp, anemone shrimp, juvenile tropical fish (if you are very patient) and more.

As for equipment, I use a pair of hands (mine) with dive gloves, a small dive knife rarely needed) and a large mouth clear plastic bottle with some small holes drilled in it. It the gear that you need to keep the stuff you collect alive for the next few hours to few days that is more important.

Sounds Great i made it to no name key yesterday damn i shoulf of kept driving!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You means No Name Key next to Big Pine Key? That's further south west than where we snorkel. Look at the very north east end of Spanish Harbor Key. It's the one south west of Bahia Honda State Park. There is parking off either side, but the Florida bayside is a better lot.

Help me find Ocean life before I go crazy!

Thanks for the info but sadly i did not make it out there next time hopefully!

Well, if you are in Miami, your ride down to the Middle Keys is a lot shorter than mine (from Cape Coral- 5 hours) and we get down there to snorkel 3 to 5 long weekends a year.

In fact we are starting to plan for an April or May overnight camping trip to the Dry Tortugas. We want to snorkel the Ft Jefferson mote wall at night (suggested by the park at their website). I also want to be there during a New Moon in hopes of seeing the Milky Way spread out over the dark night sky away from all the lights of civilization.

Back