HELP!!! my angler swallowed some air!!!!!!!

reefD

today when feeding my angler he came up out of the water momentarily in anticipation of getting food. anyways when he tried to float back down he had to struggle and forfully swim down to get to the bottom. he is now able to keep himself down but you can see him struggle a bit to keep from floating up when free swimming. he isnt stressed at all as he is shaking his lure and everything. he even ate some food after. please help me . i need to know if i should do something to help him or will he be able to slowly dissapate the air? any ideas please!!! thank you sooo much!

ok they gave me some great advice they told me to boil a pea. then peel it and feed it to the angler. this will help expel all the gases. im gonna try it he ussually eats anything i put in tyhe tank so i hope hell eat it. thanks alot for the idea to call them!

well i fed him a boiled skinned pea just now with a piece of krill. at least he is still eating. i guess the pea acts like an enema and flushes the digestive tract including the air buble eventually depending on how much air was swallowed and its possistion in the belly. wish me luck!

its been only a few hours since the swollowing of air and me feeding him a pea. he is chilling out at the bottom but still appears to be holding himself down with his fin/feet and useing a constant jet propultion. i can see him keeping his jet vents busy. so im just gonna let hime rest as i fairly sure he is not at all stressed. i will hope he improves by morning. i will update everyone in the pm of 1-17 thank you all. youve been vbery helpful.

lol!!!! lets hope for a nice bubblie one! I wonder if ill catch the act? i never seen a fish fart!!!!!lol

yes i was aware of this and did try it immediatly after he gulped the air....it didnt work. doesnt matter anyways cause
IT WORKED!!!!!!!! he is no longer fighting a upward force and is happily resting at the bottom. what i did was give him 2 boiled peeled peas with krill for taste. last night i noticed him a bit stressed but it appeared like he was shifting the contents of his stomach as it was visually periodically moving(his belly that is). it was shifting side to side and blowing up a bit. now he is BACK TO NORMAL! he must of farted it out!LOL. he is fishing right now but im gonna let his belly rest and feed him tommarow.

WOW, I love anglers and have had them for years and luckily never had that problem, but now I know how to fix it. Do you think it really was the pea or just good luck, or maybe he really didn't swallow that much air?

well he did swallow a lot of air im sure of it. honestly i cant gareentee it was the pea but the way live aquaria responded was like it was second nature. as far as im concern is it didnt hurt my angler so next time ill do it again . we need to find a study on this but there is little info. goldfish have been commonly helped with peas but i cant find much on the eefects on saltwater and especially anglers.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6527352#post6527352 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefD
well he did swallow a lot of air im sure of it. honestly i cant gareentee it was the pea but the way live aquaria responded was like it was second nature. as far as im concern is it didnt hurt my angler so next time ill do it again . we need to find a study on this but there is little info. goldfish have been commonly helped with peas but i cant find much on the eefects on saltwater and especially anglers.

That's interesting. I've never heard that remedy before for anglers. It's very hard to say if it made any difference, or if the angler passed the air on its own.

Dave

I totally agree with you wolverine but if this happens again ....i'll do it again. i figure if it doesnt hurt and it has the possibility to help then i'd let everyone know about it. and i did get this info from the 1800 number that is on live aquaria web site and spoke to a represenative 2 seperate times both gave me the same info ...they also gave me some other advice like burping him. as stqated before i tried that and it did not help as i was told it would immediatly relieve the problem and it didnt. so the other thing i did was give him a pea. i do agrea with you that the other possibility is that he passed it on his own. but id do it again.

Back