help... need to id this and find a fix

What H2O2 does is oxidizes (taking an electron) the algae, thus destroying the algae cell, it fairely safe becuase H2O2 then breaks down back into H2O and O2 gas it is fairely safe to use

Personal experience as well... Tech M is the easiest way and and no negative affects to any inhabitants. Seemed like my chalices and monti caps liked the high mg. Only other thing I would do is keep up on water changes to make sure the bryopsis die off doesn't cause a secondary problem.

Ok, so over the weekend i destroyed the tank. practically removed all of my LR and dipped them into a pot mixture of salt water and h202. i didn't follow the directions to the dot. I decided on roughly 3 gallons of my saltwater from the tank and 2 big bottles of h202 from walmart. I took out the rocks one by one and dumped them into the pot. I let it sit in there for 15mins at minimum, 30mins for the ones that had more of this green junk on it. I have to say that the pot bubbled like no tomorrow. It reminded me of the pot from Clash of the Titans' blind witches scene... and boy did that pot stink.
Then i brushed the affected areas and areas around it. The outcome has been not too bad. The branch part of the bryopsis is pretty much all that is left and they are white in color like they've exploded. Since I had the rock out, I couldn't put it back the same way I had it before so I ended up reaquascaping. Needless to say the fishes were thrilled as now they have lots of caves to swim in/out of. I did end up ordering some tech M and will dose to kill off any that I did miss.
I did suffer some civilian casualties. A moment of silence was given to my yashe goby and his shrimp, a randals anthia, and 3 acro frags. The yashe goby jumped out at night probably bc of me moving his favorite rock/home, the randals was dead bc it was hiding in one of the rocks that i dipped (woops), the 3 acro frags were stressed already and the moving of rocks and stiring up of junk didn't help them. As for the bryopsis... well lets just say I won't miss them.
There were lots of junk that came off the rocks when i pulled them out so I performed a 30 gal water change. Nitrates spiked up a bit and i will perform a 20gal change today to help ease things up. All in all, it was a fun and very wet experiance. Would i ever do this again? No, that's why I went way way overboard on the peroxide dosage. Did this help kill off the nuisance algae? From the initial looks, yes but long term, only time will tell. Do I recommend doing this? yes if you can't stand looking at them green furry looking trees that are over growing and crowding your tank. Should you use the same dosage I did? No, i don't recommend it but it sure was fun watching the LR bubble up and bryopsis blowing up.

Lol so true. My initial strat is to blow up the algae the send in the special units to take out the left overs. So i hope itll be a short lived battle.

Back