help please.

My daughter has started a couple of 20 gallon nano's. she's had them going for almost a year now and has several good looking corals. about 2 months ago she found the dreaded flatworm. (came in as a hitch hiker I'm sure).. She's been dosing as the instructions says and has killed out the flat worm adults. They came back, but I'm thinking that was the young growing. She treated again. Each time doing so by the instructions with the carbon and water changes afterwards. Last Friday she noticed one and dosed the tank again (it had been about 2 weeks since the last dosing). Again, doing so by the book, using Salifert flat worm exit. Soon after dosing this last time all the corals started receding, even her green star polyps. Her tank perimeters are the same as they were before she noticed the flat worms.
The fish on the other hand seem to be fine, as well as the shrimp, crabs etc. Just taking a toll on the corals. She's freaking out because as everyone knows corals are expensive and she's got quite a few.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks

Right now I'm more worried about the corals surviving. She does have a small six line wrasse, is there another fish that eats them?

Most Wrasses will eat them.
Beware of that 6 line, they are known to have a bad temper with new fish.
Many of us keep away.

yOU don't mention coral type: softies can throw furious snits of chemical nature. You might try putting a little carbon into the flow for 2 weeks and seeing how that goes. Also, a 30% water change might help, after running the carbon.

Yeah, she's done the carbon after each treatment of Flat Worm Exit, followed by a 20% water change. It seems that the last treatment was the one that did the corals in. They are mostly mushrooms and other softies. The last two water changes have been 50% done at two week intervals. They are looking somewhat better but not as good as they were. They were really growing, splitting and looking very good until the start of the treatment. She has a six line but it's a small one, might look into getting another fish or a nudibranch. The only thing about the nudibranch once the foods gone so is it. Unless we can find someone else that might could use it.

At a certain point the best treatment to apply is Time and Stability, ie, restore good conditions, wait and don't make any more changes or additions. Let it heal if it can, and intervene only if you see it heading in a bad direction.

At a certain point the best treatment to apply is Time and Stability, ie, restore good conditions, wait and don't make any more changes or additions. Let it heal if it can, and intervene only if you see it heading in a bad direction.

ok, that's what were doing. Things are looking up somewhat. Getting a little hair algae at this point. Thanks for the help

I've had a six line and it did dine on the flat worms, but it harassed other docile fish so much I removed it. I added a possum wrasse that spends most of the day poking through the rocks and I think it may eat them as well. Doesn't bother any other fish or coral and is very interesting to watch.

Back