Help! what's wrong with tang?

cnaegler

Hello,
I have a yellow tang in my 180 that's not looking good at all. She recently acquired these rust/brown spots on here body , mainly around her eyes. She's breathing heavy/ rapidly and her mouth is always gaping and also has the same rust/brown colored "fungus" inside her mouth. She's not eating and you can tell it's really taking it's toll on her. She's been this way for about 2 or 3 weeks now.
Please someone help identify what she's got. None of the other fish have contracted what she's got yet.

Post some pictures, that might help to see what's going on. If it's fungus you can try Furan 2 or some of the other meds. Is she eating? How long have you had this tang? Have you introduced anything to your tank in the last month?

toolman,

Furan 2 is active against some gram negative and gram positive bateria, but has no anti-fungal properties that I've ever heard of. Yes, pictures would really help here, but since external fungal infections are rare to non-existant in marine fishes, I think that can be ruled out.
Without knowing the size of the spots, (and assuming they are tiny) the rapid breathing has me thinking a different direction - Amyloodinium, sometimes called velvet or oodinium.....

JHemdal

I've tried to post pictures but it's so complicated to re-size, blah, blah, blah. She seemed to catch whatever it is, shortly after i put in a pair of naso tangs. She was NOT happy about that! Then i noticed small 'spots' on her head, around her eyes, especially in and around her mouth. She hasn't eaten in a couple of weeks and she 'scratches' herself on the live rock. It's looking like Velvet, isn't it?

Back